Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2014, 06:13 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,938,031 times

Advertisements

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — The New York Senate rejected a bill Monday that would open up state tuition assistance to students in the country illegally, dashing long-held hopes of immigration advocates and prompting finger-pointing among rival Democrats.

http://news.yahoo.com/ny-senate-reje...023028795.html

Time to copy and paste that same kind of law in ALL states including Cali.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 06:29 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,810,499 times
Good. It's time to put our own citizens ahead of foreign lawbreakers.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:34 PM

22,519 posts, read 12,072,114 times
The fact that the NY state senate rejected the DREAM Act, is very impressive given that NY is a deep blue state. When blue states say "no" to this nonsense, it gives me hope!

Old 03-18-2014, 07:04 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,362,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
The fact that the NY state senate rejected the DREAM Act, is very impressive given that NY is a deep blue state. When blue states say "no" to this nonsense, it gives me hope!
Except Texas has in-state tuition for illegals.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:16 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,938,031 times
IMHO attitudes are starting to go AGAINST illegal aliens in peoples' eyes. Even many "liberals" of the "lib" kind are over it with illegals and their "you owe me" attitudes.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:24 PM

22,519 posts, read 12,072,114 times
Ah...good point, BigD

Old 03-19-2014, 08:00 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,590,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) — The New York Senate rejected a bill Monday that would open up state tuition assistance to students in the country illegally, dashing long-held hopes of immigration advocates and prompting finger-pointing among rival Democrats.

http://news.yahoo.com/ny-senate-reje...023028795.html

Time to copy and paste that same kind of law in ALL states including Cali.
Good. Let TX now.

Quote:
exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Except Texas has in-state tuition for illegals.
They can even apply for grants. It's infuriating!

Last edited by DFWgal; 03-19-2014 at 08:13 PM..

Old 03-19-2014, 09:36 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,662,038 times
Simple solution , become legal and you can make your dreams come true ! These democrats that voted for this should leave this country along with the illegals here.

Old 03-20-2014, 12:48 PM

424 posts, read 469,086 times
Quote:
I'm a flaming liberal and always saw illegal immigration as a Republican-caused issue, so I was always against it. I've been disappointed in the Obama Administration but in a way I understand the lip service he's giving to it since we now have over 20 million of these folks here thanks to the Simpson-Mazzoli Act (signed by conservative hero Ronald Reagan) and decades of little to no enforcement. To be fair though, there wasn't much public outcry until the economy tanked in 2008. Before that no one cared because the economy was so strong so every administration since Reagan just sort of looked the other way (and yes that includes Clinton).

Some Democrats see the illegals as a large block of voters so they want their legalization. Others want it on "humanitarian" grounds. There's enough of these constituents now such that I doubt you'll ever see any Democrat openly advocate for strict immigration enforcement. But I don't think this is universal sentiment in the Democratic party. I have many very liberal friends who are totally against this. And even Obama, aside from his stupid and off-putting decision to halt deportations via Executive Order, hasn't done much of substance for the illegals.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:33 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,810,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicket View Post
I'm a flaming liberal and always saw illegal immigration as a Republican-caused issue, so I was always against it. I've been disappointed in the Obama Administration but in a way I understand the lip service he's giving to it since we now have over 20 million of these folks here thanks to the Simpson-Mazzoli Act (signed by conservative hero Ronald Reagan) and decades of little to no enforcement. To be fair though, there wasn't much public outcry until the economy tanked in 2008. Before that no one cared because the economy was so strong so every administration since Reagan just sort of looked the other way (and yes that includes Clinton).

Some Democrats see the illegals as a large block of voters so they want their legalization. Others want it on "humanitarian" grounds. There's enough of these constituents now such that I doubt you'll ever see any Democrat openly advocate for strict immigration enforcement. But I don't think this is universal sentiment in the Democratic party. I have many very liberal friends who are totally against this. And even Obama, aside from his stupid and off-putting decision to halt deportations via Executive Order, hasn't done much of substance for the illegals.
It's not humanitarian to the American people -- not by any stretch. We have kids in the inner cities whose only options are prison, death -- or a job -- and the jobs are getting scarcer and scarcer while the politicians promise the "American Dream" to any foreigner who breaks the immigration laws.

And it's not humanitarian for the taxpayers --- a very large chunk of the poverty is being imported.

Cesar Chavez and the UFW were against illegal immigration -- because back then liberals knew it was only to keep wages at rock bottom and job benefits nil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration