Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 07:21 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
WASHINGTON - Most Hispanics say the immigration debate and Congress' failure to overhaul immigration laws has hurt them, and many fear deportation for themselves, a relative or close friend, a poll showed Thursday.
MSNBC article

It would be funny to see how far an insolent attitude like that would 'fly' for an illegal Guatemalan in Mexico?

The Mexican La Migra ain't nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 07:31 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,672,077 times
Good I am glad they are scared

Old 12-14-2007, 07:57 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,149,739 times
They should be scared. Hopefully the hammer will keep coming down on illegals in this country.

Anyone who feels a shred of pity for them should have been with me at Wal-Mart yesterday; it's a good place to go illegal-watching. I'm guessing the women in front of me in line were illegal...they looked mestizo, did not speak a word of English, and just had "the look". They were buying food with WIC vouchers and food stamps and between them had five children under the age of five. It took 15 minutes for the cashier to deal with their government assistance and no other registered opened during that time period, so I had to just stand there and wait. Illegals aren't supposed to be eligible for those benefits, but I'm guessing they got them on behalf of their anchor babies. Again, I don't know for sure if they were illegal...but hey, if it quacks like a duck...

I passed them walking painfully slowly through the parking lot; that's how long it took the otherwise-efficient cashier to ring up MY stuff.

Old 12-14-2007, 08:17 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,508,923 times
If you are here legally you have nothing to fear. If you aren't here legally you should be afraid. You are breaking the law.

I've also seen people that look and sound illegal in central VA. There was a hispanic woman with two small children at the local grocery store. None of them spoke English and they looked lost. I would've never given them a second thought if it weren't our government not enforcing the law. Now when I see someone that fits the obvious "profile" I wonder. I know it may not be fair but it's what our government has forced use to wonder about. And let me just say, I have hispanic friends. I am not racist. I am pro legal.

Old 12-14-2007, 09:13 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
They should be scared. Hopefully the hammer will keep coming down on illegals in this country.

Anyone who feels a shred of pity for them should have been with me at Wal-Mart yesterday; it's a good place to go illegal-watching. I'm guessing the women in front of me in line were illegal...they looked mestizo, did not speak a word of English, and just had "the look". They were buying food with WIC vouchers and food stamps and between them had five children under the age of five. It took 15 minutes for the cashier to deal with their government assistance and no other registered opened during that time period, so I had to just stand there and wait. Illegals aren't supposed to be eligible for those benefits, but I'm guessing they got them on behalf of their anchor babies. Again, I don't know for sure if they were illegal...but hey, if it quacks like a duck...

I passed them walking painfully slowly through the parking lot; that's how long it took the otherwise-efficient cashier to ring up MY stuff.
Must have been because they were in such a hurry to "do the jobs that lazy Americans won't do"...

Old 12-14-2007, 09:44 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,149,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Must have been because they were in such a hurry to "do the jobs that lazy Americans won't do"...
Yep...it was 4pm on a Thursday afternoon when most people are at work. Maybe they pulled a night shift.

Old 12-14-2007, 09:59 PM

377 posts, read 684,813 times
Quote:
They were buying food with WIC vouchers and food stamps and between them had five children under the age of five. It took 15 minutes for the cashier to deal with their government assistance and no other registered opened during that time period, so I had to just stand there and wait. Illegals aren't supposed to be eligible for those benefits, but I'm guessing they got them on behalf of their anchor babies. Again, I don't know for sure if they were illegal...but hey, if it quacks like a duck...

Ironically, this was the same kind of garbage we heard from racist and right wing zealots during Bill Clinton’s first term of presidency. That type of rhetoric was used to demonize Liberals and Democrats as welfare giving leftist. This same kind of malicious slander was mainly unleashed against poor black women who were on welfare then. It finally led to the capture of the U.S. Congress and Senate by Republicans. This drama was known as the Republican Revolution led by non other then Newt Gingrich of Georgia.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:00 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Deportations are increasing -

A good thing

Old 12-14-2007, 11:00 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
MSNBC article

It would be funny to see how far an insolent attitude like that would 'fly' for an illegal Guatemalan in Mexico?

The Mexican La Migra ain't nice.
Enough fear to self deport?

Old 12-14-2007, 11:05 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
Quote:
Yep...it was 4pm on a Thursday afternoon when most people are at work. Maybe they pulled a night shift.
Silly, nativeDallasite . . . why work when you have a gaggle of Anchor Babies and plenty of welfare?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration