Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 05:42 PM

3,888 posts, read 4,542,046 times

Advertisements

I can think of a few...

Starts innocently enough...

Many years ago it wasn't uncommon to pick up a few mild mannered polite guys on the corner to help with moving, or other labor tasks.

Now people are used to "services", especially in affluent areas where using services is part of the neighborhood culture like in Southern California where I live. You don't have to be rich to go to the car wash where you pay to have someone else do the washing.

About 10 years ago, I asked a friend living in Wisconsin, if they had a lot of illegal aliens where she lived. She said there were probably some here and there. I asked her who usually worked in the fast food restaurants, she said, teenagers, women, white trash... (her words, not mine, lol). Then I asked her who works at the car washes, she said "what do you mean?" I said, "Who washes your cars??" she sounded puzzled and said "we do". When I explained what I meant, she told me that those are usually found in the wealthier neighborhoods. That to me was very enlightening.

(Update, 10 years later, we recently visited and I asked her again, and she said there were more now, especially in the restaurants. But she's now parroting what has been fed to her... "they are here doing the jobs Americans don't want to do")

While I grew up poor and my widowed mother was usually the housekeeper or nanny in which we both often lived in a bedroom of someone's house, I grew up to live a middle class lifestyle more or less in Orange county. I have used services myself and have been surrounded by people who do... sometimes for everything from gardening to watching their children, to cooking their food. (People go out to eat constantly here, I've worked part time as a waitress most of my adult life)

Of course while many people with ancestry south of the boarder are not all illegal aliens, the manager of the restaurant where I worked told me recently that he guessed that about 1/3 of the employees are undocumented. It is very easy to get fake ID in Santa Ana and management are not supposed to question it.

I used to see more "kids" working in restaurants, but seems especially in the more affluent areas, more service jobs are dominated by those living in Santa Ana (a sanctuary city)... conveniently close to very rich areas like Newport Beach and Irvine. I actually pointed this out to some regular customers of mine when they started complaining about illegal aliens (while eating the food that the illegal Mexican who just came BACK across the border after visiting relatives, yes, absolutely true) ... that if people cooked their own food, cleaned their own houses, pulled their own weeds, watched their own children, etc. etc. etc....

Hmmm... there's a bumper sticker for you.. ha ha!

"Stop creating jobs for illegals! Do it yourself!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 05:53 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
We have a service based economy now.....we do not build much anymore.

That is not going to change.

Asking a few question before spending our money would work in time.

Old 07-06-2014, 06:43 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
I can think of a few...

Many years ago it wasn't uncommon to pick up a few mild mannered polite guys on the corner to help with moving, or other labor tasks.

Now people are used to "services", especially in affluent areas where using services is part of the neighborhood culture like in Southern California where I live. You don't have to be rich to go to the car wash where you pay to have someone else do the washing.

About 10 years ago, I asked a friend living in Wisconsin, if they had a lot of illegal aliens where she lived. She said there were probably some here and there. I asked her who usually worked in the fast food restaurants, she said, teenagers, women, white trash... (her words, not mine, lol). Then I asked her who works at the car washes, she said "what do you mean?" I said, "Who washes your cars??" she sounded puzzled and said "we do". When I explained what I meant, she told me that those are usually found in the wealthier neighborhoods. That to me was very enlightening.

(Update, 10 years later, we recently visited and I asked her again, and she said there were more now, especially in the restaurants. But she's now parroting what has been fed to her... "they are here doing the jobs Americans don't want to do")

While I grew up poor and my widowed mother was usually the housekeeper or nanny in which we both often lived in a bedroom of someone's house, I grew up to live a middle class lifestyle more or less in Orange county. I have used services myself and have been surrounded by people who do... sometimes for everything from gardening to watching their children, to cooking their food. (People go out to eat constantly here, I've worked part time as a waitress most of my adult life)

Of course while many people with ancestry south of the boarder are not all illegal aliens, the manager of the restaurant where I worked told me recently that he guessed that about 1/3 of the employees are undocumented. It is very easy to get fake ID in Santa Ana and management are not supposed to question it.

I used to see more "kids" working in restaurants, but seems especially in the more affluent areas, more service jobs are dominated by those living in Santa Ana (a sanctuary city)... conveniently close to very rich areas like Newport Beach and Irvine. I actually pointed this out to some regular customers of mine when they started complaining about illegal aliens (while eating the food that the illegal Mexican who just came BACK across the border after visiting relatives, yes, absolutely true) ... that if people cooked their own food, cleaned their own houses, pulled their own weeds, watched their own children, etc. etc. etc....

Most "regular" Americans don't have maids or illegal babysitters, they clean their own houses, mow and weed their own lawns and cook their own food. They aren't the ones creating jobs for illegal aliens.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:08 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
I can think of a few...

So VERY VERY TRUE!! I lived in SoCal from 1991-2005 and now again since may 2013. When I was a kid growing up in the 70s, I would help my Dad wash the car and mow the lawn in so Texas. When I arrived in So Cal, everyone I knew took their car to a car wash. This was a special treat when I grew up. Now everyone does it. Pedicures. This was expensive when I was growing up. Now EVERY woman does it. When I was a kid, neighborhood kids would go from door to door to ask if they could mow the neighbor's lawn. I sure do miss that one. High school kids used to race to get jobs at fast food places. Now the illegals have taken over many of those. I had a similar situation like yours when I visited my friend in Bedford, Tex (near Ft Worth) back in the mid 90s. The lawn maintenance and fast food workers were American!!- I was shocked. Not sure what it's like now. We do enable the illegals to stay here.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:25 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
So VERY VERY TRUE!! I lived in SoCal from 1991-2005 and now again since may 2013. When I was a kid growing up in the 70s, I would help my Dad wash the car and mow the lawn in so Texas. When I arrived in So Cal, everyone I knew took their car to a car wash. This was a special treat when I grew up. Now everyone does it. Pedicures. This was expensive when I was growing up. Now EVERY woman does it. When I was a kid, neighborhood kids would go from door to door to ask if they could mow the neighbor's lawn. I sure do miss that one. High school kids used to race to get jobs at fast food places. Now the illegals have taken over many of those. I had a similar situation like yours when I visited my friend in Bedford, Tex (near Ft Worth) back in the mid 90s. The lawn maintenance and fast food workers were American!!- I was shocked. Not sure what it's like now. We do enable the illegals to stay here.
Most Americans do not enable illegal aliens to stay here. Only some do.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:27 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
I wash my own car and clean my own house. I rarely eat out and I don't go to fast food restaurants. The guy who mows my lawn has a green card (he showed it to me).

Old 07-06-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Most Americans do not enable illegal aliens to stay here. Only some do.
Judging from what I've seen, it's much more common in So Cal. I still wash my own car because I know that nobody will do the job that I do. My landlord hires an illegal to mow her yard. I have friends who have illegal maids. Jesus, what ever happened to "Hazel" or "Florida"?

Old 07-06-2014, 09:45 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I guess that is a CA thing, because around here kids work fast food. Farm kids still work on the farm. This American actually fired a masonry contractor who showed up with non-english speakers and couldn't produce a green card in the bunch. It cost me $400 more to get another contractor. It was worth it. I wouldn't hire a scumbag who uses illegals.
I have acres of grass that I mow myself. Just spent the weekend paining my 24x36 work shop. No not all Americans behave as you suggest.

Old 07-06-2014, 10:11 PM

22,473 posts, read 11,998,943 times
The trouble is that illegals have infested every level of the food chain. They displaced Americans in the poultry processing and meat packing plants. Some of the fruits and vegetables we buy in the store were picked by illegals---there is no way to tell. Even going to a farmer's market there are no guarantees.

Go out to dinner and who knows how much of the back of the house is here legally. That said, some chain restaurant conglomerates, like the Darden Group do use E-verify but Ted Kennedy and the ACLU tied their hands. They are not allowed to use E-verify on those already working there.

So...what can be done? As tinman01 mentioned, don't hire anyone to work on your property that uses illegal alien labor. Don't be afraid to ask if a company uses day laborers. We hired a company to repair our front stairs and we asked about who works for them. They told us that they do have some Hispanic workers but they made sure to check to see if they are here legally. Sure enough, they sent two men. One was an American, the other a middle-aged Hispanic man who was fluent in English and they did good work.

Our roof will soon need to be replaced and right now I'm researching roofing companies. We will gladly pay more money to hire a company that doesn't use illegal alien labor.

Old 07-07-2014, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
The trouble is that illegals have infested every level of the food chain. They displaced Americans in the poultry processing and meat packing plants. Some of the fruits and vegetables we buy in the store were picked by illegals---there is no way to tell. Even going to a farmer's market there are no guarantees.

Go out to dinner and who knows how much of the back of the house is here legally. That said, some chain restaurant conglomerates, like the Darden Group do use E-verify but Ted Kennedy and the ACLU tied their hands. They are not allowed to use E-verify on those already working there.

So...what can be done? As tinman01 mentioned, don't hire anyone to work on your property that uses illegal alien labor. Don't be afraid to ask if a company uses day laborers. We hired a company to repair our front stairs and we asked about who works for them. They told us that they do have some Hispanic workers but they made sure to check to see if they are here legally. Sure enough, they sent two men. One was an American, the other a middle-aged Hispanic man who was fluent in English and they did good work.

Our roof will soon need to be replaced and right now I'm researching roofing companies. We will gladly pay more money to hire a company that doesn't use illegal alien labor.
Shouldn't a contractor carry workers comp on his employees? It would seem that the person that hires would ask for this anyway? Once when I was a payroll auditor for a major company back in the late 80s, I asked for they payroll for the workers. The man told me that they were illegals. The company demanded that I collect any and all proof of payment to the illegal workers and assess premium on that payroll. Since it was a hazardous code (framework construction), the man was not very happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration