Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 12:32 AM

6,262 posts, read 5,071,153 times

Advertisements

This was the first I had heard about it, so posted in case others had not heard about a child diagnosed with Swine Flu at Lackland AFB back in June. Read in a couple of articles that 2000 H1-N1 vaccines were sent to Lackland. Can't find anything on whether there were additional cases diagnosed, whether the other kids at the center were given the vaccine, or where the child was sent after leaving the base.

Young immigrant diagnosed with H1N1 at Lackland Air Force Base : News : ValleyCentral.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 12:42 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
This was the first I had heard about it, so posted in case others had not heard about a child diagnosed with Swine Flu at Lackland AFB back in June. Read in a couple of articles that 2000 H1-N1 vaccines were sent to Lackland. Can't find anything on whether there were additional cases diagnosed, whether the other kids at the center were given the vaccine, or where the child was sent after leaving the base.

Young immigrant diagnosed with H1N1 at Lackland Air Force Base : News : ValleyCentral.com
It was a pandemic back in 2009. Regular flu vaccine now covers it. Get your flu vaccine every year. Oddly I had a reaction back a couple of years ago, cannot figure out why, and am reluctant now. Never had a reaction to a vaccine ever before in my life. H1-N1 is not new.

Old 09-18-2014, 04:13 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Receiving the flu vaccine is not 100% effective: Vaccine Effectiveness - How Well Does the Flu Vaccine Work? | Seasonal Influenza (Flu) | CDC. But you are reducing your chances of coming down with the flu. Even with the newer quadrivalent flu shots (Quadrivalent Influenza Vaccine | Seasonal Influenza (Flu) | CDC) it is still guess work by our experts at the CDC. They try to predict what strain will be prevalent next flu season. Typically production of this vaccine starts in January anticipating the following year's flu and cold season. If they, the CDC, would miscalculate; you could have vaccine against (lets say) A/Texas strain and instead the B/Brisbane or A/California strain would be common. But, at least with the quadrivalent vaccine, there are more chances of correctly guessing the following season.

That said I don't know how much illegal immigration can change this whole guessing game? If we have people running around, that have not been screened, it is possible that they could introduce a strain that we are not prepared for. I also presume that the vaccine formulation is different for the Southern Hemisphere than it is for the Northern Hemisphere?

By the way, in the OP's link, the exact strain was not identified - there are different strains of swine flu.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Receiving the flu vaccine is not 100% effective: Vaccine Effectiveness - How Well Does the Flu Vaccine Work? | Seasonal Influenza (Flu) | CDC. But you are reducing your chances of coming down with the flu. Even with the newer quadrivalent flu shots (Quadrivalent Influenza Vaccine | Seasonal Influenza (Flu) | CDC) it is still guess work by our experts at the CDC. They try to predict what strain will be prevalent next flu season. Typically production of this vaccine starts in January anticipating the following year's flu and cold season. If they, the CDC, would miscalculate; you could have vaccine against (lets say) A/Texas strain and instead the B/Brisbane or A/California strain would be common. But, at least with the quadrivalent vaccine, there are more chances of correctly guessing the following season.

That said I don't know how much illegal immigration can change this whole guessing game? If we have people running around, that have not been screened, it is possible that they could introduce a strain that we are not prepared for. I also presume that the vaccine formulation is different for the Southern Hemisphere than it is for the Northern Hemisphere?

By the way, in the OP's link, the exact strain was not identified - there are different strains of swine flu.
According to the OP's link it was H1-N1 (I didn't write the article or post it). Mexico is in the Northern Hemisphere. The article seems to be quoting The Blaze, which is (in my opinion) a rag that plays on American people's emotions and fears. Flu strains don't care if they are carried overseas through travel, business or pleasure, or through immigration, legal or not. There are more than enough problematic issues about illegal immigration to deal with without extremists creating issues.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:45 AM

62,959 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
According to the OP's link it was H1-N1 (I didn't write the article or post it). Mexico is in the Northern Hemisphere. The article seems to be quoting The Blaze, which is (in my opinion) a rag that plays on American people's emotions and fears. Flu strains don't care if they are carried overseas through travel, business or pleasure, or through immigration, legal or not. There are more than enough problematic issues about illegal immigration to deal with without extremists creating issues.
I don't think it is being extreme to fear the spread of disease by foreigners who come here illegally without health checks. Sure, disease can be spread by other methods but why not eliminate this particular way by securing our borders better?

Old 09-19-2014, 05:22 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I don't think it is being extreme to fear the spread of disease by foreigners who come here illegally without health checks. Sure, disease can be spread by other methods but why not eliminate this particular way by securing our borders better?
Nobody wants to hear that their child might have been exposed to TB; like in this case: Worker At Texas Hospital Exposed 700 Infants To TB. I do not know if this involves or if it is because of our failed immigration policies? El Paso is on the border and one has to speculate that the disease came into our country because of illegal immigration.

Florida takes more precautions to keep out of state fruit and vegetables out of it's state than we do to keep disease out of our nation.

Old 09-20-2014, 01:24 AM

Quote:
I have no problem with that. My point is the fear mongering about a flu that has been around since at least 2009. And flu, unfortunately, is world-wide every year. Securing our borders, regarding illegals, won't stop the flu, period. The only way to stop something like the flu every year is to stop all travel from all countries. Not going to happen.

Old 09-20-2014, 05:52 AM

62,959 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
I have no problem with that. My point is the fear mongering about a flu that has been around since at least 2009. And flu, unfortunately, is world-wide every year. Securing our borders, regarding illegals, won't stop the flu, period. The only way to stop something like the flu every year is to stop all travel from all countries. Not going to happen.
It's not just about the flu though. There are deseases surfacing that we haven't seen for some time or have never seen in this country before. We should eliminate all sources of these deseases as possible. Curtailing illegal immigration would be a start since we don't know what they might be carrying as many of them come from squalid conditions.

Old 09-20-2014, 09:31 PM

2,075 posts, read 2,138,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post

Oh, the illegals bring in other good things, like active TB, Measles, pink eye, ect. ect.........

Just wait until a couple of slimy border jumpers bring in something neat like Ebola......

Old 09-22-2014, 01:46 AM

1,806 posts, read 1,737,663 times
Quote:
...because that's not going to happen while you have tea baggers who won't play nice with others to get something done sitting in office.

Politicians make a lot of money on this issue. Typically, they'd rather saber rattle, get the right wingers worked up and watch the donations come in than actually fix something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration