Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 07:44 PM

3,432 posts, read 2,952,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
The Marines asked a native American (old enough to be their mother), 10 miles from the spot that her great-grandfather was born on, whose own ancestors had lived here locally since before the arival of Europeans, 70 miles from the nearest border, if she "spoke English". A lot of dismissive assumptions were made in that moment.

Prologic's parents, (assuming I can speak for them), immigrants from another country, 400 miles from the border, asked someone who they THOUGHT might be a likely candidate, if he spoke the language of "back home". (they took a chance--he might have said 'no')...but I see a big difference...it's the difference of saying "YOU don't look like you belong here....Do you?", and saying "WE'RE not originally from around here, and you look like someone who might understand our OLD language--do you?"....To me, there's a big difference in approach....
Not to mention their rudeness..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 07:53 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chele123 View Post
Wouldn't that make him Mexican, but not Hispanic? I mean, Mexican in the same context as he would be American, but not hispanic in that he does not have a Hispanic heritage.
Hispanic is a political label only; they can be of any race/ethnicity but have to hail from a Spanish speaking country. All Mexicans born there are Hispanic.

There is no 'Hispanic' DNA at all.

Old 01-13-2008, 07:55 PM

149 posts, read 467,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic
Hispanic working class and do not speak any english, do you assume they are illegal?
No: I assume they are ignorant, arrogant, and selfish people who neither appreciate American culture and heritage nor have any desire to assimilate or learn English.

Old 01-13-2008, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornerstoneEagle04 View Post
No: I assume they are ignorant, arrogant, and selfish people who neither appreciate American culture and heritage nor have any desire to assimilate or learn English.

So someone who mainly works with spanish speakers and only speaks spanish at his/her work is ignorant, arrogant and selfish? I don't quite agree with that.

Old 01-13-2008, 08:07 PM

Exclamation Hello? English is the national language of America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProLogic View Post
So someone who mainly works with spanish speakers and only speaks spanish at his/her work is ignorant, arrogant and selfish? I don't quite agree with that.
English is the national language of America; brave men and women have fought and died so that we can be free and retain English as our official language. I do not appreciate it when someone comes here from another country and expects to be treated fairly when they are unfair to us (and yes, it is unfair to impose your native language on someone else).

If someone comes to America from another country and refuses to learn English (or even try), they are ignorant because they are unaware and unobservant of American culture and heritage, arrogant because they feel they are exempt from having to learn English (and expect to be treated like someone who can speak English), and selfish because they only care about their language and their heritage.

Old 01-13-2008, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornerstoneEagle04 View Post
English is the national language of America; brave men and women have fought and died so that we can be free and retain English as our official language. I do not appreciate it when someone comes here from another country and expects to be treated fairly when they are unfair to us (and yes, it is unfair to impose your native language on someone else).

If someone comes to America from another country and refuses to learn English (or even try), they are ignorant because they are unaware and unobservant of American culture and heritage, arrogant because they feel they are exempt from having to learn English (and expect to be treated like someone who can speak English), and selfish because they only care about their language and their heritage.

While English is the most widely spoken language in the U.S, it is not the official language. It is the de facto language. I also mentioned a situation in which you also failed to answer.

Old 01-13-2008, 08:18 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
While English is the most widely spoken language in the U.S, it is not the official language. It is the de facto language. I also mentioned a situation in which you also failed to answer.
Do you understand what the concept is behind the movement to make English the official language of the US PL???

Old 01-13-2008, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Disagree all you want, but someone who will only speak spanish at his or her work is ignorant, arrogant and selfish.

Whether or not they work with spanish speakers is irrelevant.

Old 01-13-2008, 08:20 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,640,781 times
English is the National language. It is unfortunately not yet the official language.

Old 01-13-2008, 08:21 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
I have to admit that I probably would assume they are illegal. This is just one more reason that the LEGAL Hispanic population should be outspoken AGAINST illegal immigration.

If the illegals were gone, the legal immigrants would not have to endure such prejudices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration