Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2008, 01:24 AM

Location: Los Angeles, which as I understand was once upon a time ago part of the United States of America
849 posts, read 1,048,856 times

Advertisements

This evening on 60 Minutes, there was a story about Remote Area Medicine, an organization that was created to serve third world countries in need. However, they were recently serving uninsured and underinsured Americans in need, such as in Knoxville, TN.

All the needy people who showed up looked like Americans, most of them White, and a few Black people. So then, we live in a country where it's illegal for hospitals to deny service to non-citizens, though citizens are expected to pay. And many cannot, to the point where Remote Area Medicine sets up these fairs for uninsured and underinsured Americans. It really makes me sick that it's come to this. Our hospitals give free care to illegals, but if you actually have a social security number and you no habla espanol, the best you can do is wait for an organization staffed by volunteers, originally intended to serve third world countries, to come to your town, and only then you may be turned away since they only have enough money to serve so many people (in the 60 Minutes piece 400 people were turned away, after more than 450 people were served).

What a disgrace that we do this. How much more of this are we to take?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 09:06 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,346,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Lombards View Post
This evening on 60 Minutes, there was a story about Remote Area Medicine, an organization that was created to serve third world countries in need. However, they were recently serving uninsured and underinsured Americans in need, such as in Knoxville, TN.

All the needy people who showed up looked like Americans, most of them White, and a few Black people. So then, we live in a country where it's illegal for hospitals to deny service to non-citizens, though citizens are expected to pay. And many cannot, to the point where Remote Area Medicine sets up these fairs for uninsured and underinsured Americans. It really makes me sick that it's come to this. Our hospitals give free care to illegals, but if you actually have a social security number and you no habla espanol, the best you can do is wait for an organization staffed by volunteers, originally intended to serve third world countries, to come to your town, and only then you may be turned away since they only have enough money to serve so many people (in the 60 Minutes piece 400 people were turned away, after more than 450 people were served).

Makes me, sick, too. As if illegals are more important than AMERICAN CITIZENS, for goodness sakes! Learn Spanish so you can fake it, and pretend to be illegal, and you'll get everything from the American taxpayer. If you are an American taxpayer, and you admit it, you get nothing, because, YOU can pay yourself, right? After all, all Americans are rich, unlike those poor illegals.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:38 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,887,409 times
Umm... have you ever volunteer for these types of organizations? Mostly white? Mostly legal citizens? I think you should actually go out and volunteer before speaking nonsense. I have volunteered at many of these free clinics and I can say 80-85% of them are illegal immigrants of latino or asian descent as well as previously incarcerated criminals, poor AA, and legal immigrants who don't make that much. A far, far minority of them are actually white poor folk and if they are white, they are usually older (retirement age). Its nice that 60 minutes did an expose but the fact that they hide that a majority of the participants are NOT legal citizens and that most the legal citizens comprise of the elderly poor and unemployed makes the story less credible with a political bias. Why the media chooses to ignore that and shoot only stories that deal with white families given they are a small minority of the people there, only serves that they have a hidden agenda or just likes to make sensationalism by bending the facts. Or maybe because most of the participants don't speak english...

Old 03-03-2008, 11:58 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,468,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Umm... have you ever volunteer for these types of organizations? Mostly white? Mostly legal citizens? I think you should actually go out and volunteer before speaking nonsense. I have volunteered at many of these free clinics and I can say 80-85% of them are illegal immigrants of latino or asian descent as well as previously incarcerated criminals, poor AA, and legal immigrants who don't make that much. A far, far minority of them are actually white poor folk and if they are white, they are usually older (retirement age). Its nice that 60 minutes did an expose but the fact that they hide that a majority of the participants are NOT legal citizens and that most the legal citizens comprise of the elderly poor and unemployed makes the story less credible with a political bias. Why the media chooses to ignore that and shoot only stories that deal with white families given they are a small minority of the people there, only serves that they have a hidden agenda or just likes to make sensationalism by bending the facts. Or maybe because most of the participants don't speak english...

I'm sorry, but did you actually see the segment that this thread is about? That's a whole lot of response but not exactly about what was shown in the segment on 60 Minutes. You've given us quite a bit of detail about demographics from your own personal experience, which is just that - your own personal experience. Your experience does not encompass the entire nation, and only speaks for the areas you visited.

Incidentally, the MEDIA is not 60 Minutes on its own. It's just one show. They did not pan away from people to only show whites. That is just absurd - they showed all of the crowd who were waiting for their numbers to be called, and the camera panned throughout the interior as well to show who were being treated.

Accusing the OP of speaking nonsense because he posted about a segment on 60 Minutes seems a bit harsh and unnecessary by the way. JMHO.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:17 PM

1,862 posts, read 3,346,261 times
Quote:
I don't care if there's ONE citizen who does not get served, if ANY illegals are being served first.

And, the whites are elderly? So what? They need more care than young people. And, many of us have been unemployed a couple of times, or will be in the future.

So, things are far worse than we thought - again, we are serving ILLEGALS!

Old 03-03-2008, 12:33 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,510,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Lombards View Post

You are absolutely right! I am so tired of hearing all these wacky people crying about the poor illegals and people with problems in other countries when we have Americans starving and needing medical care and assistance right here in our country legally. We need to take care of our own first people!

Old 03-03-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I'm sorry, but did you actually see the segment that this thread is about? That's a whole lot of response but not exactly about what was shown in the segment on 60 Minutes. You've given us quite a bit of detail about demographics from your own personal experience, which is just that - your own personal experience. Your experience does not encompass the entire nation, and only speaks for the areas you visited.

Incidentally, the MEDIA is not 60 Minutes on its own. It's just one show. They did not pan away from people to only show whites. That is just absurd - they showed all of the crowd who were waiting for their numbers to be called, and the camera panned throughout the interior as well to show who were being treated.

Accusing the OP of speaking nonsense because he posted about a segment on 60 Minutes seems a bit harsh and unnecessary by the way. JMHO.
It may be my personal experience but from what I gather, these groups aim at areas where there is a dense population of illegal immigrants. 60 minutes may have taken shots that showed exclusively white legal citizens but I think they did that intentionally and besides that, 60 minutes is more commentary than actual news, of course they are going to add sensationalism to it. It is pretty well known that these volunteer groups travel to areas with a lot of poor health care provisions BUT these areas are also endemic with illegal immigrants. What I seen during my volunteer work, a dozen or so times, can pretty much be applied to the whole nation, after all, my volunteer work is not restricted on one city, one state, or even one coast line. Its pretty much all the same. They panned the area before people were actually in the building, when there are that many people there it would look more crowded (and I have been in these circumstances to know). The OP was saying that all the work done was for legal citizens when legal citizens probably amounted to less than 10-15% of the people there. Most of them being elderly who pretty much didn't save a dime for retirement or health insurance whatever their past was, I don't know. I am happy to treat, illegal or not, but I wouldn't say what 60 minutes portrayal was accurate. What you see are clips of what they wanted you to see, you didn't see everything, you didn't see that most of them were illegals... otherwise the story would of been illegals coming for free medical and dental care instead of legal americans coming for free medical and dental care, which was what their story was about. If they wanted to show problems with legal citizens, not having enough for medical and dental care, they can do it more effectively by finding out "who" these people are, what they do, what are their expenses, but the kind of journalism actually requires some work. I wouldn't do case reports and report it as the norm. Instead they focused on a clinic that primarily serves illegal immigrants and put on a show as if they were trying to serve legal citizens. The truth is they service anyone, and most of the people tend to be illegal immigrants. I wouldn't bend the truth of the matter. I volunteer but I don't appreciate dishonesty, not even if it is 60 minutes.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
I don't care if there's ONE citizen who does not get served, if ANY illegals are being served first.

And, the whites are elderly? So what? They need more care than young people. And, many of us have been unemployed a couple of times, or will be in the future.

So, things are far worse than we thought - again, we are serving ILLEGALS!
I wouldn't have a problem with it as long as they were reporting it honestly, in which case, they did not.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:46 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,468,732 times
Quote:
It may be my personal experience but from what I gather, these groups aim at areas where there is a dense population of illegal immigrants. 60 minutes may have taken shots that showed exclusively white legal citizens but I think they did that intentionally and besides that, 60 minutes is more commentary than actual news, of course they are going to add sensationalism to it. It is pretty well known that these volunteer groups travel to areas with a lot of poor health care provisions BUT these areas are also endemic with illegal immigrants. What I seen during my volunteer work, a dozen or so times, can pretty much be applied to the whole nation, after all, my volunteer work is not restricted on one city, one state, or even one coast line. Its pretty much all the same. They panned the area before people were actually in the building, when there are that many people there it would look more crowded (and I have been in these circumstances to know). The OP was saying that all the work done was for legal citizens when legal citizens probably amounted to less than 10-15% of the people there. Most of them being elderly who pretty much didn't save a dime for retirement or health insurance whatever their past was, I don't know. I am happy to treat, illegal or not, but I wouldn't say what 60 minutes portrayal was accurate. What you see are clips of what they wanted you to see, you didn't see everything, you didn't see that most of them were illegals... otherwise the story would of been illegals coming for free medical and dental care instead of legal americans coming for free medical and dental care, which was what their story was about. If they wanted to show problems with legal citizens, not having enough for medical and dental care, they can do it more effectively by finding out "who" these people are, what they do, what are their expenses, but the kind of journalism actually requires some work. I wouldn't do case reports and report it as the norm. Instead they focused on a clinic that primarily serves illegal immigrants and put on a show as if they were trying to serve legal citizens. The truth is they service anyone, and most of the people tend to be illegal immigrants. I wouldn't bend the truth of the matter. I volunteer but I don't appreciate dishonesty, not even if it is 60 minutes.
See, that's much better - I appreciate your insight. I was planning to donate because I thought this group really was about treating true Americans - now that I know that they are really treating primarily illegals I won't give them a dime.

Old 03-03-2008, 04:31 PM

Location: Los Angeles, which as I understand was once upon a time ago part of the United States of America
849 posts, read 1,048,856 times
Quote:
Look, it depends on the region in which we're refering -- if RAM visited Los Angeles for example, then obviously 99.999% of the people seeking their free services would be illegal aliens. The point of my OP is that the media often portrays Whites and being "privledged", and not in need of care, hence it's okay to give billions of dollars a year in aid to illegal aliens. What many elitists do not seem to understand is that there are a great deal of Americans who are in need, to the point where RAM needs to serve them right here in the U.S.

Furthermore, I looked very carefully at the crowd in every scene, and didn't see ANY Mestizos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration