Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 09:29 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
They will if required to go to a welfare office and sign up for a work detail as a condition of receiving benefits.
The only people who can get welfare are parents (mostly single moms) with kids and they have to work in order to receive benefits. But it's just slightly crazy to think that you are going to replace migrant farm workers picking lettuce with an army of 22 year old women with babies on their back
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2015, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
If anything, they hurt the economy and hurt American workers.
No, actually they don't hurt the economy. The money they pay in SS tax goes towards keeping the fund solvent because they will never collect benefits. They commit fewer crimes than other demographic groups. My problem with undocumented workers is that there has been collateral damage; because they work for less, wages for all workers has been impacted and I think their presence has caused, at least to some extent, the loss of labor unions in the building trades.

But it's not a problem that will be easily solved. In 2011 Republicans offered a bill that would require e-verify and believe it or not, Republicans led by Dan Lungren (R) killed the bill. Thanks to the campaign contributions from Agra, Meat and Produce industries, Restaurants etc. to Politicians in BOTH parties there will never be a sensible solution to this. And if Trump were to get elected, unless he goes Mussolini on us and decides he can pass law by fiat he can't deport anyone and congress will not let him do it..trust and believe the cash cow of illegal labor is not something that our industries will let go of it without a big ugly bloody fight

Old 12-09-2015, 01:58 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
You seem to forget that if they were legalized that sends a very direct message. Ignore US immigration laws and you will be rewarded. No need to wait in line.
Money. Most of those illegals are working low income jobs. They will be on our welfare roles. Mean while we produce enough lower educated workers. We have no need for illegals.
You fail to recognize that I don't care or agree with the Conservative view. "Send a very direct message"??

We promote ourselves as the "land of opportunity", so I don't blame people from other countries who want to come here and try to make a better life for themselves and their kids. People do desperate things when their kids are in desperate need of the basics, and it's natural for the parents to want a better life for them, even if it means breaking the current law to do so. The law needs to be changed to facilitate their passage and acceptance into this society. Inclusion, is what I prefer. Our society needs to take care of those less fortunate and those groups who have been historically discriminated against. We need to help the poor come out of poverty, not condemn them because they're poor. We need to help those who want to come to this country and become fine citizens to do that, not condemn them for their temporary "illegal" status.

Bigoted Republicans and Conservatives are obsessed with keeping immigrants at bay, denying them the opportunity to seek a better life in this so-called "land of opportunity". Here at home, this same repulsive segment created Slavery, supported Jim Crow, and continue to discriminate along racial lines as a matter of course. This again, is a denial of equal opportunity in the "land of opportunity".

Illegals are fine. It's CONSERVATIVES we don't need.

Old 12-09-2015, 05:55 AM

57,294 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The point is that it used to pay a livable wage until the arrival of millions of illegal aliens willing to work for those wages or less. You can't get a construction type job nowadays unless you speak Spanish either.

Who do you think did roofing, construction, landscaping and any other assortment of blue-collared jobs before illegals invaded our country?
The fly by night contractors were never a liveable wage, maybe the big construction companies but not the local home improvement contractors. The youths are lazy today, they are not going to wash dishes, pick crops, stand on a roof or landscaping. Look at the meat packing plants in the mid-west, only immigrants taking those jobs.

Besides how are we going to replace all that social secutity money if we lose 11million immigrants.

Old 12-09-2015, 06:03 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Nothing faster than granting them ALL full amnesty.

Then we can put our resources on more pressing matters, like finding cures for deadly diseases like Cancer, Alzheimer's, HIV, tackling issues which cripple this country like racism, sexism, ageism, terrorism, giving the best care possible for the elderly, veterans, the sick, and the handicapped, and make higher education accessible to all. So much more we can do with the time and money it would take to try to legislate, pass, engage in legal fights, and implement this bigoted, idiotic Trump pipe dream.
Actually, you won't that money to use elsewhere. Millions of illegals becoming citizens mean more public assistance to them. Ah, you didn't think about that did you. And, neither did you think about the continuing line of new illegals to deal with. Obviously, you haven't given the whole picture much attention so why not do that and come back and post once you understand the big picture. https://www.numbersusa.com/problems/taxpayer-burden

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Yes, we saw that in action in silicon valley before the popularity of H1Bs took off. Cronyism and the good old boys club flourished as the white guys hired, supported, promoted, and protected each other to the exclusion of everyone else, especially qualified blacks. Good old days I suppose for those who want immigrants to go away.
H1B visa, we do not need it. Go to "Work and Employment" and you'll find plenty of people ready to work in the tech field that don't have jobs and most have come out of college. You know, they tell them to go to college to get a good job and they still end up at Wal-Mart as a greeter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
How fast never these 11million people help the economy in so many ways. If you throw them out who builds roads building roofing and mows your lawn these are jobs Americans do not want they a are willing to take. If you truly want to get rid of them I want you be a roofer in Texas for 2 yrs then you will understand why we need these people.
Phony Farm Labor Shortage: We Need to Talk About It
Low-paid illegal work force has little impact on prices | The Seattle Times
The Myth of Illegal Immigration and Food Prices | San Diego Reader
Are There Really Jobs Americans Won
https://www.numbersusa.org/pages/jobs-americans-wont-do
Amnesty Harms Black Americans More Than Bad Cops or Profiling | illegal immigration amnesty | Limits to Growth

I rest my case against illegal aliens being a positive force in the US, unless you want to get into the crime they commit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The point is that it used to pay a livable wage until the arrival of millions of illegal aliens willing to work for those wages or less. You can't get a construction type job nowadays unless you speak Spanish either.

Who do you think did roofing, construction, landscaping and any other assortment of blue-collared jobs before illegals invaded our country?
Undocumented Workers in Construction Industry

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Do you think the contractor passes on the savings of not using legal labor?
My neighbor just redid his roof. His contractor didn't need illegals. It's obvious that Americans will do the work if paid a fair wage for the work.
Beyond a shadow of a doubt and do a much better job also. If you want a good roofing job, you don't go the lowest bidder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I typically don't respond to LexusNexus' posts. LexusNexus sides with illegal immigrants as a matter of his personal grievances against America, and likes arguing here simply for the sake of trying to ignite our tempers. And even in the cases where I've pointed out that people of LexusNexus' same race are hurt at a disproportionately higher rate by illegal immigration than Whites or other non-Blacks, LexusNexus seems to be incredulous to the facts of the matter and still sides in favor of illegal immigration.
A lot of people just read the headlines on liberal media. Some people don't even like people of their own race. Most that sympathize with the illegals have a "dog in the fight" somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
They will if required to go to a welfare office and sign up for a work detail as a condition of receiving benefits.
They have this here but the jobs aren't here. We are flooded with illegals. I can't even get my congress people to answer calls or emails when I want to address the issue. Our Secretary of State does want to address the issue and he pushed hard that we must show photo ID in order to vote and we have that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The only people who can get welfare are parents (mostly single moms) with kids and they have to work in order to receive benefits. But it's just slightly crazy to think that you are going to replace migrant farm workers picking lettuce with an army of 22 year old women with babies on their back
Do you have a link for that information that you are providing? Maybe a liberal headline you saw somewhere? More and more Americans are outside the labor force entirely. Who are they? | Pew Research Center

Also, single moms can get child care assistance and job training unless they just prefer to lay around and have more babies they can't care for. I was a single mother at one time and the state didn't support me. I had a college education and couldn't find a job locally so went to work in a factory and paid for my own childcare. I believe that welfare will cover sterilization which I wholeheartedly support.

I'm sick of all the welfare mooches to include the anchor babies. The only people that should be receiving welfare are those that are unable to work either because of illness, old age or disabilities. We have enough Americans that want to have babies so they can stay home and collect a welfare check so we surely don't need to import illegals that want to do the same. The tighter the job market gets for them the more anchor babies they push out for us to support from conception to grave!

Old 12-09-2015, 06:27 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,438,007 times
How fast can we get the illegals out of here?

Not fast enough.

Old 12-09-2015, 06:30 AM

62,959 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The fly by night contractors were never a liveable wage, maybe the big construction companies but not the local home improvement contractors. The youths are lazy today, they are not going to wash dishes, pick crops, stand on a roof or landscaping. Look at the meat packing plants in the mid-west, only immigrants taking those jobs.

Besides how are we going to replace all that social secutity money if we lose 11million immigrants.

Most construction jobs used to pay a decent wage before the invasion of millions of illegal aliens. I am sorry that you are so misinformed or are in denial of the facts. Adult Americans lost those jobs to illegal aliens so why do you continue to rant about a minority of our youth that may be lazy in regards to the numerous blue-collard jobs that our adult citizens lost to illegal aliens? I know many of our youth that are working entry level jobs. They aren't all lazy as it is just plain sad that you try to use them as justification for hiring illegal aliens.

Many Americans do not live in rural areas to pick crops and it isn't a career job anyway. You tell me why some growers hire illegal aliens when they have at their disposal unlimited visas for legal, foreign workers? I'll wait. When some meat packing plants were raided for illegal aliens several years ago Americans lined up around the corner to take those jobs. So you were sayin?

If Americans got their jobs back they in turn would be paying into SS. Illegals are working under a stolen SS number and you're ok with that? Many illegals aren't paying any income taxes because they are working for cash. By the way, the 11 million you speak of aren't "immigrants" they are illegal aliens!

Old 12-09-2015, 08:02 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,749,757 times
Start enforcing EVerify...punish the businesses that hire them with huge fines and jail time. cut off all food stamps and housing vouchers. Enforce the limit on the number of people that can reside in a residence. No free tuition....the little things.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Americans will do those jobs, just not many when they can stay at home living off momma and go to college. See the difference is you think illegals pushed Americans out of those jobs, whereas I think Americans (especially millennials) chose to stay away leaving the void for illegals.
If Americans will do those jobs, then why aren't they? I don't know of any law keeping citizens from standing outside Home Depot soliciting work, and I'm sure if a Citizen wanted to live in migrant housing in the Central Valley in California and pick tomatoes they would be welcomed. Businesses pushed citizens out of those jobs by killing unions and hiring undocumented people in order to lower wages for everyone. This problem is not the fault of illegal workers or of lazy Americans. The fault is 100% with big business and their ability to influence public policy with campaign contributions. If even a tiny number of employers who knowingly hired undocumented people had been arrested and sent to prison during the past 30 years we would have a fraction of the number of illegal people that we do; remember they don't come here for our beaches -theirs are better.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:42 AM

62,959 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Start enforcing EVerify...punish the businesses that hire them with huge fines and jail time. cut off all food stamps and housing vouchers. Enforce the limit on the number of people that can reside in a residence. No free tuition....the little things.

Those things along with ending birthright citizenship for their kids would go a long ways in deterring illegal immigration. Many that are already here would self-deport with no means to support themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration