Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 12:58 PM

62,997 posts, read 29,178,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
IF the US is a house AND the illegals are buglers coming to steal but of course it is more complicated than that.

The US has traditionally had an open door for immigrants and their arrivals en-masse has not always been a welcome event. In the 1700s, 1880s and early 1900's we had political (often racial) backlashes against the influx of people who some thought of as too different. Looking back these seem silly as the US has absorbed them and they are today a productive part of the populace.

Thought the 1980s, the US contributed to the destabilization of many countries in Latin America by funding right-wing insurgencies in half a dozen different places. This is part of the reason we do catch and release and give refugee status to certain nationalities.

I would be one of the first to say our immigration policy is long overdue for a top to bottom revision and we should secure the border. However, I see some illegals who have worked and paid taxes for 10-20 years. Those folks should be given a path to legal status. The issue is not black and white.

This issue is about illegal immigration regardless of any discrimination in the past of legal immigrants. Illegal immigration isn't about looking different as we already have citizens who look different from one another. It's about our laws and the well being our own citizens of all different looks and backgrounds. Why is that so hard to grasp?

You can blame the powers that be in our government all you want but we still have immigration laws and us regular folks expect them to be respected and enforced. A refugee isn't the same as an illegal alien but we still have to limit those numbers also and make sure they aren't going to harm us.

I disagree that any illegal aliens should be given a legal status just because they have managed to evade the law for several years. Paying taxes does not excuse anyone for breaking the law. Many of them used fake or stolen SS numbers to work and pay taxes. Those are felonies! Americans need their jobs back also. Yes, the enforcement of our immigration laws are in black and white. There are no exceptions no should there be.

Our immigration laws and quotas are already in place to protect our own citizens jobs and resources and to keep population growth in check. So what needs re-vamping? It will always be against the law to come here illegally. That will never change nor should it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2016, 01:07 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,447,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
this is not 1900, they were not forced by liberals to pay for immigrants back then.
A little history, if you please.

Who paid for Castle Garden and the Ellis Island terminal and its' immigration officers, doctors, and nurses?

Taxpayers. Perhaps some of them felt like they were "forced by liberals". I don't know. I imagine some did. Can you name some of the now-famous Americans who might have remained in obscurity in their country of origin had they not been allowed into what used to be the land of the free and the home of the brave? I can.

Who made it possible for newcomers to enter the formerly-United States of America during the first two centuries of our existence?

Hint: it wasn't nativists or xenophobes who feared competition for work from newcomers and grudged the cost of adding people to our population. It was American voters who elected representatives who believed what it says on the base of the Statue of Liberty.

I don't know how or when your ancestors arrived in the the land of opportunity. Unless you can trace your ancestry exclusively back to Native Americans, perhaps you might think about who extended a helping hand to them as they set off to the New World so that you could call yourself an American.

If you'd care to peruse this list, you might realize that although some are criminals, some are good people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...and_immigrants

Old 11-12-2016, 01:19 PM

62,997 posts, read 29,178,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombleywomberly View Post

Who paid for Castle Garden and the Ellis Island terminal and its' immigration officers, doctors, and nurses?

Taxpayers. Perhaps some of them felt like they were "forced by liberals". I don't know. I imagine some did. Can you name some of the now-famous Americans who might have remained in obscurity in their country of origin had they not been allowed into what used to be the land of the free and the home of the brave? I can.

Who made it possible for newcomers to enter the formerly-United States of America during the first two centuries of our existence?

Hint: it wasn't nativists or xenophobes who feared competition for work from newcomers and grudged the cost of adding people to our population. It was American voters who elected representatives who believed what it says on the base of the Statue of Liberty.

I don't know how or when your ancestors arrived in the the land of opportunity. Unless you can trace your ancestry exclusively back to Native Americans, perhaps you might think about who extended a helping hand to them as they set off to the New World so that you could call yourself an American.

If you'd care to peruse this list, you might realize that although some are criminals, some are good people.

First off we are no longer a wide open frontier with plenty of jobs and resources and immigrants needed for nation building. Our population growth has swelled to 320 million, our nation is already built and we have a shortage of jobs and resources. That is why we have had to limit immigration and implement immigration laws. No poem on a statue negates those laws or common sense today. There is nothing nativist or xenophobic about unfairly having to compete with illegal aliens for jobs who are willing to work for less. They don't even have a right to reside or work in this country.

There were no original natives. All of our ancestors that migrated here were immigrants. The past does not negate our right as a nation to have immigration laws today or justify illegal immigration into our country today. Doesn't matter if some are good or bad they are still here in violation of our immigration laws. A good person wouldn't do that, IMO. How do they work if not by using a stolen or fake SS number or working for cash evading taxes which are felonies. Good people do that? Do good people steal jobs, taxes and resources from the rightful citizens of this country who also have families to feed and care for?

Old 11-12-2016, 01:49 PM

7,516 posts, read 5,760,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Because it is a bit unfair to not enforce the laws for up to 20 or more years and then be faced with the threat of being deported while your kids are here and US citizens. That should be easy to understand but of course we also should have the right to enforce our laws.
They knew then and know now it's illegal. If they believe they can break one law they will break others

Old 11-12-2016, 02:10 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,934,109 times
I actually think that illegal aliens might very well have a claim under the laws governing Adverse Possession. This is a law that states that should a trespasser occupy your land with open and notorious use and you do nothing to evict them, at some point they can actually be granted title to the land. Basically, the point is "they came, we did nothing, now they get to stay". However, there is no law or policy which conveys to the trespasser additional rights such as welfare, health care, education or employment.

Old 11-12-2016, 02:23 PM

2,682 posts, read 2,182,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
I actually think that illegal aliens might very well have a claim under the laws governing Adverse Possession. This is a law that states that should a trespasser occupy your land with open and notorious use and you do nothing to evict them, at some point they can actually be granted title to the land. Basically, the point is "they came, we did nothing, now they get to stay". However, there is no law or policy which conveys to the trespasser additional rights such as welfare, health care, education or employment.
Trying to apply adverse possession laws in the case of illegals is simply a way to divert attention from their criminal status, by suggesting that they have legal claim to not only be here in violation of federal law, but even to ownership of property by virtue of their illegal acts.

Pro immigrant lawyers can split hairs all they like, but they will always have to convince a court that this creative but absurd idea is in the public interest, and does not run afoul of equitable principles of law. Like, for example, the principle that a wrongdoer should not profit from his illegal acts.

Last edited by CapnTrips; 11-12-2016 at 03:12 PM..

Old 11-12-2016, 03:05 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,914,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombleywomberly View Post

You need to tell Canada and LatAm that same thing, tho I've got the feel they'd tell you to pound sand.

Old 11-12-2016, 03:38 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,308,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
Ok look here's the fundamental argument on the Democratic side. We have a heart.
It's as simple as that.

Yes it's not fair for the rest of us citizens because they technically broke the law. But most of them are every bit as hardworking as we are. To categorize and generalize all of them as "Rapists" as the very classy President Elect said on the campaign trail hurts them and their dignity as humans on this planet just trying to work and get by, just like the rest of us. Now you can always focus on the details and find someone who will try to abuse the system, this is why we need intelligent lawmakers to make sure the laws don't allow this to happen. Even as citizens, could you think of one law that you broke that weren't caught for? Speeding? Underage drinking? Drinking while driving?
Post like this is the reason Trump won the election going away. Have a heart huh? Any American citizen that wants illegals to stay on the dole should personally have to pay an extra 2000 per year in taxes. Lets see all the support then

And yes there are many Americans who have broken laws at some point, but the thing is.....THIS IS THEIR COUNTRY. The acts are unfortunate but they get dealt with in American court of law with due process. You don't allow outsiders to do the same and say "well Americans have done it too".

Ironically, i bet you this same poster locks his door at night so that he doesn't wake up to find someone sleeping his basement

Old 11-12-2016, 04:27 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,934,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
Trying to apply adverse possession laws in the case of illegals is simply a way to divert attention from their criminal status, by suggesting that they have legal claim to not only be here in violation of federal law, but even to ownership of property by virtue of their illegal acts.

Pro immigrant lawyers can split hairs all they like, but they will always have to convince a court that this creative but absurd idea is in the public interest, and does not run afoul of equitable principles of law. Like, for example, the principle that a wrongdoer should not profit from his illegal acts.
Very true, however in the case of Real Property law, the initial trespass was also an illegal act. The point being that if you fail to complain, at some point you lose the right to complain. The parallel I see with immigration is due to the fact that we practically hung a "Welcome" sign on the southern border for 20 years. If you did the same with your home and some guy stumbled in and began to sleep on your sofa and you let him stay, it would be hard to make a case 20 years later that he wasn't welcome. This is why I believe the solution to the illegal alien issue is (aside from securing the border) to completely remove all government assistance and enforce E-Verify. I think the problem will solve itself.

Old 11-12-2016, 05:23 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,447,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
First off we are no longer a wide open frontier with plenty of jobs and resources and immigrants needed for nation building.
People have been saying that since the 1830s.

Nativism in 19th c. America
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
we have a shortage of jobs and resources.
We do?

I see plenty of jobs being advertised, every single day.

https://www.monster.com/jobs/all-jobs

What resources are we short of?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration