Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 09:00 PM

361 posts, read 431,592 times

Advertisements

Ever since Trump enforced the TEMPORARY illegal alien ban from 7 countries, both my liberal and conservative friends are going nuts. They don't seem to give a crap that Trump wants to protect American citizens from people they know nothing about and may want to hurt or kill us. All they do is call Trump and his supporters racist and deplorable for God forbid putting American lives before the lives of aliens and banning people from countries where the majority belong to a religion where violence is encouraged and mandated. I have liberal friends telling me how racist Trump is and trying to get me to change my mind about him, and on the other side, my conservative friends are saying how much he has "betrayed" them and apologizing for voting for him. Meanwhile, Obama did the same exact thing, and it was perfectly ok. Besides me, a couple of my friends, and a few family members, everyone I know is disgusted by this ban. And it sucks for the harmless people from Islamic nations, and I'm sure most of them have no harmful intentions, but Trump needs to figure out how he is going to make immigration an efficient legal process, and then they will be welcome. I am all for it and tired of the lives of illegal aliens coming before American citizens, and of liberals telling me radical Islam is benefitting the United States. I've had 2 friends tell me how radical Islam is a good thing. Meanwhile the religion treats women and homosexuals as if they're going to destroy the planet, something the liberals claim conservatives do. It just amazes me.

Last edited by xxblue20; 01-30-2017 at 09:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 09:32 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
As a liberal, I'm not in favor of this immigrant ban but mostly I dislike it because it was done so fast, without warning and it blindsided many innocent people. Of the people who were detained, some were elderly, others needed to be at work the next day, some were simply returning from visiting a sick parent, and one person I saw interviewed on tv had just come back from his father's funeral. They were all here LEGALLY.

To just suddenly ban them was needlessly cruel. Then, when asked why they did it without warning, they made up the excuse that bad people could have gotten through otherwise if there had been warning. (Was there some unknown sudden crisis?)

"Bad" people could have gotten through yesterday, the day before, or last week. Why this sudden ban?

Yes, we have to be careful with who we let in but there was no need to slap people around like this. Besides, they had already been vetted. Apparently Trump doesn't trust people to do their jobs at vetting? All of a sudden?

You had refugees who have already been vetted, LEGAL residents of the USA, and LEGAL green card holders. There's quite a difference between them and real ILLEGALS. I would rather go after the ILLEGALS. They have broken the law=illegal. We don't even know who they really are, what they have done before, they have received no background or medical checks and they have no papers.

A lot of these LEGAL immigrants/refugees who are being banned already hold important jobs here--they are researchers and medical people. They have families here and they came here THE RIGHT WAY, the LEGAL way. What a rotten way to treat the people who did it the right way.

As for the illegals, that's a totally different story and I hope someone can figure out how to deport many of them and maybe provide a pathway for the ones who were born here to somehow remain here. Those who were born here are US citizens, as you know. I really don't care if their illegal parents have to go home. They can always come back and visit and their kids can visit them too.

Anyway, there doesn't seem to be any method of predicting which people are going to turn radical. The first generation is usually fine--this has been shown over and over. It's their kids who could possibly turn radical and there is no way of knowing which ones it will be.

So I hope this explanation sheds some light on how some of us feel. BTW, Trump's mother was a dirt poor immigrant who came here to work as a house cleaner. And of course, his current wife is an immigrant too.

Last edited by in_newengland; 01-30-2017 at 09:42 PM..

Old 01-30-2017, 09:39 PM

I am all for it and tired of the lives of illegal aliens coming before American citizens, and of liberals telling me radical Islam is benefitting the United States. I've had 2 friends tell me how radical Islam is a good thing.

This, at the end of your post. Practically everyone is tired of illegals coming first. They need to go and the ones who were born here need help in finding a way to stay. Like it or not, they are US citizens.

I do not believe you when you say anyone ever told you that radical Islam is a good thing. You are friends with these radicals? Radical Islam is a terrible thing. Most Muslims are not radical and they do not approve of radicals. In fact, "radical" anything is usually a bad thing, something taken to any extreme is not a good thing.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:12 PM

1,059 posts, read 830,236 times
Everyone sneaking over our borders knows they are breaking US immigration laws. Playing dumb doesn't work for me. Of interest is that many illegals (and legal) DO NOT want to become US citizens. They are very entrenched in their culture.

Too bad the work visa program doesn't seem to be working, although it is in place. Employers should use E-Verify before hiring anyone, as a start. There must be a way to enforce our laws without angering the mobs. I wonder how many really understand what is happening - or may happen - to our country. We sure are divided and it is not getting better.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie1004 View Post
Everyone sneaking over our borders knows they are breaking US immigration laws. Playing dumb doesn't work for me. Of interest is that many illegals (and legal) DO NOT want to become US citizens. They are very entrenched in their culture.

Too bad the work visa program doesn't seem to be working, although it is in place. Employers should use E-Verify before hiring anyone, as a start. There must be a way to enforce our laws without angering the mobs. I wonder how many really understand what is happening - or may happen - to our country. We sure are divided and it is not getting better.
It's okay for them to be legal permanent residents, that's not a big deal. At least they have paid their dues and they are legal. If they want to take more steps and pay more money to become citizens, that's up to them.

The temporary work visa should be in use instead of exploiting the illegals and keeping them as an underclass. E-verify? Maybe the new head of ICE will enforce that.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:24 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
No, Obama did not do the same thing. In 2011 he put a 6 month hold on processing Iraqi Refugee applications and he stopped the visa waiver program for several countries, he did not deny entry for legal residents. Trump put a clause in EO that Christian refugees will receive priority. Trump listed the 7 countries where neither he nor his family have business interests and he asked Giuliani how to "legally" write an executive order for a Muslim ban. He did not run the EO through DHS or DOJ, he did not give anyone notice of it or even issue an advisory to staff who had to try to enforce the order.

Trump with his BFF Steve Bannon the self avowed "Leninist" who wants to blow up the world really messed up on this one. Trump is apparently going to continue to make unforced errors until he is either impeached or gets us in some horribly nasty international mess.

Old 01-31-2017, 06:40 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,046,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
As a liberal, I'm not in favor of this immigrant ban but mostly I dislike it because it was done so fast, without warning and it blindsided many innocent people.
I can appreciate that many are surprised President Trump is doing exactly what he promised during his campaign since the majority of those in public office hardly ever follow up on any of their promises. In other words, there was no surprise.

About the children born in our country by ILLEGAL immigrant parents. Many say, "We need to help them to stay in the U.S.A." Ok, fine, then open up your door and invite them in and support them.

Children born in Mexico/Central America, etc., are brought to our country by their parents and no one seems so concerned about those children being removed from their homeland.

It's all so hypocritical! Libs want the ILLEGALS to remain here, but then they wash their hands of it and walk away with the attitude, "I've done my part, I protested, now you support them."

The word ILLEGAL is what they can't accept. Well, that is until one of the ILLEGALS commits a crime against them or their family members, then they change their tune.

Old 01-31-2017, 06:55 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,115,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
As a liberal, I'm not in favor of this immigrant ban but mostly I dislike it because it was done so fast, without warning and it blindsided many innocent people. Of the people who were detained, some were elderly, others needed to be at work the next day, some were simply returning from visiting a sick parent, and one person I saw interviewed on tv had just come back from his father's funeral. They were all here LEGALLY.

To just suddenly ban them was needlessly cruel. Then, when asked why they did it without warning, they made up the excuse that bad people could have gotten through otherwise if there had been warning. (Was there some unknown sudden crisis?)

"Bad" people could have gotten through yesterday, the day before, or last week. Why this sudden ban?

Yes, we have to be careful with who we let in but there was no need to slap people around like this. Besides, they had already been vetted. Apparently Trump doesn't trust people to do their jobs at vetting? All of a sudden?

You had refugees who have already been vetted, LEGAL residents of the USA, and LEGAL green card holders. There's quite a difference between them and real ILLEGALS. I would rather go after the ILLEGALS. They have broken the law=illegal. We don't even know who they really are, what they have done before, they have received no background or medical checks and they have no papers.

A lot of these LEGAL immigrants/refugees who are being banned already hold important jobs here--they are researchers and medical people. They have families here and they came here THE RIGHT WAY, the LEGAL way. What a rotten way to treat the people who did it the right way.

As for the illegals, that's a totally different story and I hope someone can figure out how to deport many of them and maybe provide a pathway for the ones who were born here to somehow remain here. Those who were born here are US citizens, as you know. I really don't care if their illegal parents have to go home. They can always come back and visit and their kids can visit them too.

Anyway, there doesn't seem to be any method of predicting which people are going to turn radical. The first generation is usually fine--this has been shown over and over. It's their kids who could possibly turn radical and there is no way of knowing which ones it will be.

So I hope this explanation sheds some light on how some of us feel. BTW, Trump's mother was a dirt poor immigrant who came here to work as a house cleaner. And of course, his current wife is an immigrant too.
In your last paragraph, you forgot to put the word "legal" in front of immigrant. I'm sure it was an innocent omission.

Old 01-31-2017, 07:10 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
They don't.

Old 01-31-2017, 07:38 AM

1,185 posts, read 803,968 times
High risks countries with a 120 days ban to figure out how to properly vet them. Liberals would not be outraged as vets are homeless and US citizens living in poverty.

But they are more concerned about some solid preventive measures. A president that is thinking about the security of the American people hard..now that's refreshing

Libs, you still wondering why you lost???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration