Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 10:41 AM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Come on. Think about it. You're going to boycott all Mexican restaurants because there may be a chance that an illegal alien might be working there? It's ridiculous. How many are family run businesses with American citizens? What are you going to do, ask to see the papers on all employees before you agree to dine there? If that's the case then you better do it for all of the restaurants you dine in. There just might be an illegal in some of the fancy ones as well.
No one denies that there might be illegals working in restaurants. However, do you seriously think that if you were to ask the manager if everybody working there is legal, that they would admit it if the answer was "no"?

Old 12-26-2017, 10:52 AM

4,488 posts, read 1,643,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
No one denies that there might be illegals working in restaurants. However, do you seriously think that if you were to ask the manager if everybody working there is legal, that they would admit it if the answer was "no"?
Why should it matter to anyone eating at a restaurant if someone is here illegally? Isn’t Trump going to personally deport all of those people, and put up a wall so fast that our heads will spin?

Old 12-26-2017, 11:11 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Also "soul food" which is basically southern food is good. Fried catfish, collard greens, red beans and rice, etc. And then there is New Orleans food which is the best food on the planet. Damn, this thread is making me hungry.
Yes, indeed! And don't forget the purple-hulled peas! Our neighbor grows these, and he gave us some last summer. They were a PITA to shell, but they were fantastically good. I'd never had fresh ones before, and it makes a big difference.

Old 12-26-2017, 11:51 AM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
Why should it matter to anyone eating at a restaurant if someone is here illegally? Isn’t Trump going to personally deport all of those people, and put up a wall so fast that our heads will spin?
Did you read through this thread? If you did, you would have noticed that it was pointed out that legal immigrants are required to go through health checks before being allowed to immigrate here. Illegal aliens, by virtue of the fact that they thumbed their noses at our immigration laws, went through no such health checks. Thus, no one knows what, if any, communicable diseases they carry. Don't think that there never have been cases where a foreign-born BOH worker passed along a disease. One prominent case in my area that happened several years back was of such a worker who went to the bathroom, didn't wash her hands, then made shrimp salads. She passed along typhoid fever to over a dozen customers.

Think about that next time you dine in a restaurant.

Also, think about this --- restaurant owners who don't care if their workers are illegal, also don't care if these workers carry any communicable diseases. These owners also hire illegals because they can underpay them and pay them under the table, thereby engaging in tax evasion. The owners also don't care if they have unsafe working conditions.

That said, there are chain restaurants that use E-verify. I appreciate any restaurant that does that, be they a chain or independent place.

Old 12-26-2017, 11:56 AM

62,970 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:

Not only are there health risks but by patronizing any business establishments that hire illegal aliens is contributing to the problem.

Old 12-26-2017, 12:01 PM

62,970 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Come on. Think about it. You're going to boycott all Mexican restaurants because there may be a chance that an illegal alien might be working there? It's ridiculous. How many are family run businesses with American citizens? What are you going to do, ask to see the papers on all employees before you agree to dine there? If that's the case then you better do it for all of the restaurants you dine in. There just might be an illegal in some of the fancy ones as well.

I never said that. Please read what I actually posted. I never said that I'd boycott all Mexican restaurants. If I have reason to suspect that any business establishment hires illegal aliens though I just won't grant them my business.

Old 12-26-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Did you read through this thread? If you did, you would have noticed that it was pointed out that legal immigrants are required to go through health checks before being allowed to immigrate here. Illegal aliens, by virtue of the fact that they thumbed their noses at our immigration laws, went through no such health checks. Thus, no one knows what, if any, communicable diseases they carry. Don't think that there never have been cases where a foreign-born BOH worker passed along a disease. One prominent case in my area that happened several years back was of such a worker who went to the bathroom, didn't wash her hands, then made shrimp salads. She passed along typhoid fever to over a dozen customers.

Think about that next time you dine in a restaurant.

Also, think about this --- restaurant owners who don't care if their workers are illegal, also don't care if these workers carry any communicable diseases. These owners also hire illegals because they can underpay them and pay them under the table, thereby engaging in tax evasion. The owners also don't care if they have unsafe working conditions.

That said, there are chain restaurants that use E-verify. I appreciate any restaurant that does that, be they a chain or independent place.
If the general public, and politicians have health concerns when they eat at restaurants (as they should), why isn’t there a law that makes E-verify mandatory in every restaurant in America already?

Old 12-26-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Not only are there health risks but by patronizing any business establishments that hire illegal aliens is contributing to the problem.
Yes, but there’s an assumption (by some) that anyone who is Hispanic, is an illegal alien and that creates unnecessary racial profiling.

Old 12-26-2017, 12:18 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
You better just stop eating out altogether. It's not just Mexican food restaurants that hire undocumented immigrants.

Maybe you can start inspecting kitchens and asking to see employees' papers before you sit down to eat.

Old 12-26-2017, 12:55 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times
Quote:
Yes, but there’s an assumption (by some) that anyone who is Hispanic, is an illegal alien and that creates unnecessary racial profiling.
And that is the basis of this entire stupid thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration