Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 11:00 AM

3,948 posts, read 4,306,483 times

Advertisements

Weren't pretty much the majority of the Italians during that time legally here?

Old 10-30-2010, 12:38 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,842,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
Weren't pretty much the majority of the Italians during that time legally here?
Yup, the basic premise of the OP is flawed.

There is always SOME resentment when there is a large influx of immigrants from one particular region or country, but being legal they tend to settle in and assimilate pretty fast. Once it's seen they truly want to integrate, the resentment goes away and they are accepted into the broader fabric of the society.

That assimilation doesn't happen wihen you have a LARGE influx of people who are here illegally but start demanding "rights" to which they're not entitled.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:45 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Nice try, Wehotex....you ALMOST got away with it....but you can't fool ALL of us. Let's be honest here....you REALLY just don't like these folks because they're brown...right?
WRONG. I don't like paying high taxes to support the illegals and their spawn that use up all of the resources. I am a single taxpayer with no kids, not exactly a favorite of this hideous tax system forced upon us.

Old 10-30-2010, 04:27 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
WRONG. I don't like paying high taxes to support the illegals and their spawn that use up all of the resources. I am a single taxpayer with no kids, not exactly a favorite of this hideous tax system forced upon us.
Just a heads up. Macmeal is anti-illegal. He always makes sarcastic posts. He was poking fun at the pro-illegal's famous race card pulling.

Old 10-30-2010, 04:51 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,842,677 times
Those of us for whom sarcasm is a reflex fallback position are always getting flamed LOL

I guess sarcasm just doesn't translate well in type.

Old 10-30-2010, 05:13 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Those of us for whom sarcasm is a reflex fallback position are always getting flamed LOL

I guess sarcasm just doesn't translate well in type.
Yeah, I know. First time I went up against macmeal I thought he was a pro-illegal through and through. Someone in here had to give me a heads up also about macmeal's sarcasm.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:19 PM

320 posts, read 290,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veltz View Post
The Italian-American mafia, at it's height, never numbered more than a few thousand members.

Gangs comprised of legal and illegal Hispanic immigrants, and even American-born Hispanics (Mexicans, El Salvadorians, etc -- these aren't White Argentines or Uruguyans) are in the size of small cities!

And their propensity for violence and disorder is beyond anything the Italian mafia could ever fathom. See, the Italian Gangsters may of shook down the local meat man for a 'protection tax,' but they kept the neighborhoods safe and free of petty crime.

This current generation of gang activity... these people fight each other over dilapidated neighborhoods and shoot up anyone who gets in their way (including families).

Sorry to say this, but there is certainly a difference between an Italian gangster in a suit and some MS-13 member leering and whistling at little children, covered in tattoos, and 'tagging' a side-walk fence.
Full fledged members maybe. But there were tons of associates in the streets.

You sound hilarious glorifying and portraying mafia members as protectors of the neighborhood. My mothers grandfather moved to New York from Italy. And their family eventually moved to the west coast to escape the injustices the mafia were doing to their own people. I think you're watching too many gangster movies. Reality is much different.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:27 AM

5 posts, read 4,530 times
Anti-immigration activists blame newcomers for driving up the population, when in fact most growth is natural. Since 2000, births have averaged 4.05 million a year, and deaths 2.43 million, for an increase of 1.62 million a year. Net immigration (legal and illegal) accounts for another 1.25 million a year, or 43 percent of our population growth.

Immigrants are also blamed for traffic congestion, crowded schools and suburban sprawl in certain states and metropolitan areas. But immigration on average has accounted for only 30 percent of the change in individual state populations since 2000. The biggest driver, again, has been natural growth, which accounts for 40 percent of the growth of the typical state, with the remaining 30 percent driven by migration of Americans from one state to another

Last edited by Yac; 04-11-2011 at 04:41 AM..

Old 04-08-2011, 10:29 AM

50,316 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten1 View Post
Anti-immigration activists blame newcomers for driving up the population, when in fact most growth is natural. Since 2000, births have averaged 4.05 million a year, and deaths 2.43 million, for an increase of 1.62 million a year. Net immigration (legal and illegal) accounts for another 1.25 million a year, or 43 percent of our population growth.
And illegal immigration is behind most of the increase in poverty. Can you drum up some numbers on that please?

Old 04-08-2011, 10:30 AM

5 posts, read 4,530 times
A rising population is entirely consistent with a higher quality of life. Though our population today is four times larger than it was a century ago, we live much longer and better than we did in 1906. Life expectancy at birth has grown from 48 to 78 years, infant mortality rates have plunged, a host of deadly diseases have been conquered, and the air we breathe and the water we drink are far cleaner than when we were a less populous country. Our homes, too, are much bigger, and food is more plentiful than ever. There is no reason why these trends cannot continue as the population rises
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration