Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 12:54 PM

4 posts, read 10,659 times

Advertisements

Update: Up to 700 arrests estimated in Postville raid | DesMoinesRegister.com | The Des Moines Register
Update: Up to 700 arrests estimated in Postville raid
[moderator cut: copyright violation]

Last edited by madicarus2000; 05-12-2008 at 03:38 PM.. Reason: copyright violation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 01:17 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,109,445 times
Quote:
Retired University of Northern Iowa professor Rosa Maria de Finlay approached the gate to offer her interpretation services, but she, too, was turned away by an agent.

“I think the money we’re spending on all this is incredible. You and I will never know how much it costs. That money could be used for something else other than this crap, this nonsense,” she said.
Rosa Maria, in others words all Hispanics should be excempt from immigration laws. Pretty predictable response.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:32 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,518,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
Rosa Maria, in others words all Hispanics should be excempt from immigration laws. Pretty predictable response.
Well the truth is we are spending our tax-dollars on deportations without future enforcement...again.
Deportations without enforcing the company hiring practices, going 1 by 1 all over the place doing raids with helicopters just seems very expensive to me.

This just seems like a very unorganized effort to me.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:14 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,474,779 times
Maybe an out of work American will be able to apply for one of those jobs.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:29 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,246,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Well the truth is we are spending our tax-dollars on deportations without future enforcement...again.
Deportations without enforcing the company hiring practices, going 1 by 1 all over the place doing raids with helicopters just seems very expensive to me.

This just seems like a very unorganized effort to me.
Agreed. Deporting them is the right thing to do, but without a good follow through whats the point. We need to actually take valid steps to prevent re-entry of the illegals we deport. We need to levy some huge finds against the employers of illegals as well as land lords who knowingly rent to them.
We are like a baseball team that only worryies about right field and we leave the bases unprotected.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:36 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,171,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Agreed. Deporting them is the right thing to do, but without a good follow through whats the point. We need to actually take valid steps to prevent re-entry of the illegals we deport. We need to levy some huge finds against the employers of illegals as well as land lords who knowingly rent to them.
We are like a baseball team that only worryies about right field and we leave the bases unprotected.
Oklahoma's law is a good start pertaining to your first paragraph.

As for the baseball metaphor: the bases; one at a time, are being covered..........three strikes you're out!

Old 05-12-2008, 04:21 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,807,832 times
I am glad the government is finally doing something about illegal immigration. Yes it is costly to arrest, process and deport illegal aliens. The best way is to prevent them from coming in the first place -- at the border.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:00 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,951,552 times
Deportation is in essence a JOKE. The revolving door is in full motion. Case in point. Couple of months ago police in Escondido Ca apprehanded a Mexican Illegal who was deported to Mexico and within 7 days was seen by police on the city streets again. The person should have been threatened with a mandatory 6 months jail time if he returned and caught again. That would be a logical solution in my personal opinion. After a few end up in jail, the word would get around real quick. They can't help their families while in jail for 6 months. Steve

Old 05-15-2008, 05:30 AM

43 posts, read 160,684 times
Have any of you read Steve Bloom's book "Postville: A Clash of Cultures in Middle America?" I just finished it the other week and then this happens - wow, small world. It was a REALLY good book, and Bloom maintains a neutrality in his work that addresses all the sides of the issues in Postville (like a good journalist should).

The book is about the Hasidic Jews of Postville that came to work at the Agriprocessors kosher meat plant that the illegals were found in. When I read about this in the news I couldn't believe it - all these years and no one looked into the workers there?

According to Bloom's book, Agriprocessor's has been recruiting illegals from the Ukraine and Russia since the late 90's (book published in 2000). Having worked in HR and having spent tons of time here in the southwest verifying documents for our company (ugh), when I read that part in the book I couldn't help but think "Why isn't anyone reporting this company?" Bloom's account of meeting with the foreigners that worked there was at first strained as they would not quickly speak to him bc they feared he was from immigration.

If you get a chance to read the book, you might it enjoy it like I did (I found it at the local library, btw). It was fascinating and was a great read for learning about Iowa standards and the ways of the small town.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:10 AM

1,744 posts, read 7,266,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovethem View Post
If you get a chance to read the book, you might it enjoy it like I did (I found it at the local library, btw). It was fascinating and was a great read for learning about Iowa standards and the ways of the small town.

Agreed, it's a great book with some great insight into the minds behind the Lubavitchers (I think that's the name of their sect of Judaism) who run the kosher slaughterhouse.

I guess these guys were paying illegal employees $5 or $6 an hour to start off, below Iowa's $7.25 mininum wage. As it's been said before, they're definitely taking the wages Americans won't take, not nessecarly the jobs. You would have to be crazy to work under those conditions for $5 or $6 an hour.

These illegals will be deported, some of them will come back. Unfortunately, the people who run the place probably won't even get a slap on the wrist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration