Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Given the scenario, would you go?
Yes 22 41.51%
No 31 58.49%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 05:08 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,721,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
...similar to a rapist?

Many people are very cold.
Absolutely, fishmonger . . . similar to a rapist!

A CRIMINAL IS A CRIMINAL and no one, especially our Law Enforcement Officials, should have the right to "pick and choose" which laws are important and should be enforced and which ones should be ignored.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 05:22 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,468,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I would do my best job of providing for them RIGHT where we were. There's no reason to leave the city of your birth...EVER.
really?

so the people of darfur should just sit back and enjoy it?

cause thats a very strong statement.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
No they don't pay into the system when they are working illegally, so they aren't contributing to the pot. No, illegals do not deserve it more - as it was designed for citizens of our country, not for freeloaders from other countries. They don't deserve it AT ALL. And guess what? I'm not full of it. Further, my life has NOT been "too comfortable" to begin to understand what it's like. The difference is, I take responsibility for my choices and I live within my means.

I would venture a guess that you do not have kids yourself - I happen to have two. I would have loved to have more - but I didn't believe I could afford to provide more than two kids the quality of life they deserve with what I earned. I adjusted my family size accordingly. I never took from welfare, I never qualified for WIC or anything else the government provides for "free". I support them exclusively.

Having more children than you can afford to provide a healthy living for is the utmost in SELFISHNESS and IRRESPONSIBILITY by expecting others to pick up the tab for your failure to control your reproduction.
actually, many, if not most, do pay into the system. the myth that they don't is propagated by racist xenophobic talk show hosts

Old 05-13-2008, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Absolutely, fishmonger . . . similar to a rapist!

A CRIMINAL IS A CRIMINAL and no one, especially our Law Enforcement Officials, should have the right to "pick and choose" which laws are important and should be enforced and which ones should be ignored.
so, every time you run a stop sign or speed just a bit, its the same as murder?

interesting.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:52 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,574,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
really?

so the people of darfur should just sit back and enjoy it?

cause thats a very strong statement.
It's obscene to compare the gross atrocities in Darfur with illegal aliens from Mexico or anywhere else. Would you compare illegal aliens to the Holocaust? Have you no shame? I can’t even continue to articulate my feelings at this time.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:59 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,647,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
actually, many, if not most, do pay into the system. the myth that they don't is propagated by racist xenophobic talk show hosts
How? If they are here illegally, they do not have a ssn or work visa. Oh, thats right --- they steal someone else ssn. That is not exactly 'paying into the system' imho.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:00 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,756,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
amc760, what's your personal line in the sand regarding universally socially unacceptable behavior that you'd do to help your family? It's not breaking another country's laws, according to you. So would it be... robbing a store? Robbing a bank? Committing credit card fraud? Murder for hire? Experts have a term for these sort of providers: it's called sociopath.
a sociopath would be someone who does those crimes for the hell of it. with no remorse.

i dont compare someone crossing the border to apply for menial labor to someone threatening to kill someone for the money in the register.

Its easy to look down on people when your higher on the chain.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:20 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,155,674 times
To be blunt:

If I were a citizen of (insert poor country of your choice); I would give hard consideration to 'jumping the border' into Arizona, etc.

That said: if I get caught; woe to me----------the USA owes me nothing.

Translation: I am sick and tired of hearing a bunch of illegals acting as if we 'owe' them something.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:44 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,564,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
I would definitely.
If I saw my kids having a bleak future, I would do anything to give them a life so many kids are offered in the U.S.
Even kids in the slums of America have it better than those living in extreme poverty in other countries. Partially because of the welfare system.
As long as they come here and work, they deserve what everyone else who works gets.

Look at all the people who are American living off welfare without even working? Illegals who work deserve it more.

Anyone saying they wouldn't is full of it. Their life has been too comfortable to even begin to understand what its like.
In a MORAL sense, you are largely correct. As I've said many times, I've known and liked many illegals, and personally will not sit in judgement of them. In the strictest "moral" sense, "God" certainly loves illegals, and he's probably a lot happier with THEIR behavior than he is with that of many Americans...no doubt about that at all.

But "God" isn't running America...its citizens are. And from a strictly LEGAL viewpoint, (and really, America is a 'legal' concept), Americans have RIGHTS here, while illegals do NOT. This is the same old argument that "many illegals are nicer than many Americans". That's certainly true...but in a legal sense, it means nothing.

Most Americans have made it very clear that they have no intention of running this nation according to "God's law"....we much prefer "man's law". For that reason, the argument that "illegals are illegal, but they still DESERVE things" is no argument. It's no different than saying "I'm a selfish jerk, and YOU are a nice guy...therefore YOU should be able to steal MY car, because you DESERVE it more". The law of society doesn't work that way.

America is a nation of laws...without which, we'd have chaos. And illegal immigrants are living here in violation of our laws. That's the 'legal' truth. As far as the 'morals' go, that's another issue...but I must remind you, if you're going to quote 'morals', then VAST AREAS of society would be in for some BIG changes.

One final thought..just because someone is illegal, doesn't mean he's neccessarily a "good, deserving, hard-working person". Many are...while others are just as 'nasty' as the worst Americans. The only difference is that the 'nasty' Americans have the legal right to be here.

Illegal immigration isn't a moral issue, nor is it a racial issue. It's a simple matter of law, blown completely out of proportion, and given a 'racial' or 'moral' angle by those who want to complicate the matter. It's really not complicated at all. If you aren't an American citizen, you're not supposed to enter without permission...and that's it. ALL other arguments are just 'smoke screens'. Is it perfectly FAIR? Of COURSE not....no law is 'perfectly fair'...but as human beings, that's the best we can do.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:49 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,608,821 times
According to myriad posts on my home town Los Angeles thread, I am one of the least prosperous of all posters there, and, one would suppose, here. My online erudition quite belies my starving artist/freelancer income!

I look down on no one except deliberate lawbreakers who have not an iota of a concern in their brain except for their own selfish needs. Again amc670, where do you draw the line in the sand about breaking societal norms in the name of yourself or your family? Theft? Robbery? Fraud? Murder?

In Los Angeles, the mindset of illegals "getting away with a biggie" by their illegal entry quickly translates into the mindset of "getting away with whatever I can" on a daily basis. This is so wrongful to everyone already here, and so opposite the ethos of our country's legal immigrants and their legacies to our nation. Character does count.

And crystalblue, your statement would be dead wrong where I live. The taxpayers here shell out far more for illegals' services, services that we will never receive, because of our city's status as the new ground zero for illegals, all of whom know how to work the system. The illegals don't necessarily move here for employment or familial reunion, it's far more insidiously greedy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration