Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 04:43 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,406,785 times

Advertisements

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States has surpassed its goal of admitting 12,000 Iraqi refugees this year and expects more, perhaps tens of thousands, next year, the State Department said on Friday.

The United States expects to admit a minimum of 17,000 Iraqi refugees in fiscal 2009, which begins October 1, the department's senior coordinator for refugees said. Thousands more Iraqis and their family members could arrive via a special visa program for people who worked for the United States or its contractors.

"I think you'll see the U.S. government admitting over the course of fiscal 2009 tens of thousands of Iraqis into the United States," coordinator James Foley told reporters.

Up to 3,000 could come from Baghdad, where the United States launched interviews this year, he said.

So far this year 12,118 Iraqi refugees have arrived and another 1,000 are booked to travel to the United States by the end of this month, when the U.S. fiscal year ends, he said.

This marks a huge leap from just 1,600 Iraqis who were admitted in the previous year, a number that drew widespread criticism from refugee groups who said Washington should do more to help solve a crisis affecting millions of Iraqis since the U.S.-led invasion in March 2003.

Editing by Sandra Maler)

http://www.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUSN1244292520080912

Wow . . . just wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 04:57 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,636,097 times
As I have said before, mexico (and I'm using mexico as an example as most illegal immigrants are coming from mexico -- or at least the most vocal of them) is no iraq, or darfur or north korea. Not to denigrade poverty but when compared to people who are the victims of genocide (darfur) or in the case of iraq whose lives are endangered because they were of help to the US troops --- sorry, these people should be at the head of the line to emigrate. Especially when it comes to iraqis who face certain death if they are left behind when our troops pull out.
Very simple to me. We actually owe the iraqis a home in the us, we owe mexican illegals immigrants nothing.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:36 PM

50,250 posts, read 47,011,154 times
20K Iraqis is a spit in the bucket compared to the horde running across with open mouths and hands.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:37 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,727,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
As I have said before, mexico (and I'm using mexico as an example as most illegal immigrants are coming from mexico -- or at least the most vocal of them) is no iraq, or darfur or north korea. Not to denigrade poverty but when compared to people who are the victims of genocide (darfur) or in the case of iraq whose lives are endangered because they were of help to the US troops --- sorry, these people should be at the head of the line to emigrate. Especially when it comes to iraqis who face certain death if they are left behind when our troops pull out.
Very simple to me. We actually owe the iraqis a home in the us, we owe mexican illegals immigrants nothing.
Agreed. I'd take the Iraqis who helped the US and earned their spot in the US anyday over millions of illegals who have done nothing of merit to stay in the US.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:41 PM

Quote:
ITA with all of you.

It is the US' obligation to take care of the people whose country we essentially made even less inhabitable. Many who have sacrificed and lost loved ones and so much more. My "wow" was in reference to an in addition to the unnecessary dollars we spend providing for millions of illegals from SOB that should not be here and we can't get rid of.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:55 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,593,246 times
We get more Mexicans than that in less than a week!!

Old 09-12-2008, 05:58 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,124,664 times
Too; many if not most of said Iraqi's are educated people who would rapidly assimilate into US Middle Class society.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Too; many if not most of said Iraqi's are educated people who would rapidly assimilate into US Middle Class society.
Agreed. Many in my community are Iraqi's and Pakistanis, the majority of who are scientists, engineers and physicians.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:06 PM

956 posts, read 3,001,765 times
Quote:
sorry, these people should be at the head of the line to emigrate. Especially when it comes to iraqis who face certain death if they are left behind when our troops pull out.
Who's to say what the U.S. owes anybody? Was there a vote taken in our so-called "democracy" as to what our immigration policies should be? The federal government owes Americans life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness -- since when does that extend to the whole friggin' world?

Old 09-12-2008, 06:08 PM

956 posts, read 3,001,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Really? How well is Europe handling its influx of Middle Easterners?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration