Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 11:03 AM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times

Advertisements

Very true!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 11:13 AM

50,309 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
They weren't dismissed --- they didn't want to work. Period. It's a catch-22 really. People dislike illegal immigration and want it reversed, yet they need them to do the work that Americans think they are above doing. Many would rather draw unemployment than do a job beneath them. Interestingly enough Europe is beginning to go through the same thing we are and they are just at the beginning of the cycle with their illegal immigrants. And they complain of the same issues - the illegals arriving there are doing the work that the native countrymen believe are beneath them.
Less than 20 years ago Americans were doing those jobs. Illegal Immigrants undercut labor to the point Americans don't want them. Be rid of the Illegal Aliens and wages rise again to the point they are tempting to Americans.

Old 09-20-2008, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Less than 20 years ago Americans were doing those jobs. Illegal Immigrants undercut labor to the point Americans don't want them. Be rid of the Illegal Aliens and wages rise again to the point they are tempting to Americans.
I wish that were true, but even if you raise the wages - there are many jobs that people here just will not do - each generation gets a little more spoiled and self-serving. I work for a large company and have a good job with benefits - but a lot of younger people come in with the attitude "I don't do that" or "I didn't go to school to do this particular task" and then they resign if they get constructive criticism during a performance review................ so not sure higher wages will make Americans do some jobs -- sadly, a lot won't even do the good ones anymore.

Old 09-20-2008, 03:59 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
I wish that were true, but even if you raise the wages - there are many jobs that people here just will not do - each generation gets a little more spoiled and self-serving. I work for a large company and have a good job with benefits - but a lot of younger people come in with the attitude "I don't do that" or "I didn't go to school to do this particular task" and then they resign if they get constructive criticism during a performance review................ so not sure higher wages will make Americans do some jobs -- sadly, a lot won't even do the good ones anymore.
Trust me: once said spoiled US brats have their $$$ cut off by their parents----------most of 'em shape up real fast.

Old 09-20-2008, 04:39 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,594,329 times
Quote:
They weren't dismissed --- they didn't want to work. Period. It's a catch-22 really. People dislike illegal immigration and want it reversed, yet they need them to do the work that Americans think they are above doing. Many would rather draw unemployment than do a job beneath them. Interestingly enough Europe is beginning to go through the same thing we are and they are just at the beginning of the cycle with their illegal immigrants. And they complain of the same issues - the illegals arriving there are doing the work that the native countrymen believe are beneath them.
You got any PROOF of that assertion, amigo? People went to New Orleans from ALL OVER the South to work on the clean-up and rebuilding only to be sent away when 'The Mexicans' arrived. Why the hell do you think they WENT if they didn't want the WORK?

Some people...

Old 09-20-2008, 05:01 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,750,800 times
Quote:
Are you kidding me?

They were dismissed because, as the articles states, "the Mexicans will work for less."

I don't know any Americans who believe construction work to be below them. I guess the next thing illegal alien sympathizers will be telling us is that Americans believe anything other than a life of ease in Beverly Hills to be beneath them.

Absolutely ridiculous.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:32 PM

Really - well living in Houston we saw firsthand where buses were sent here to pick up people who had evacuated here from NOLA to come back and work (for pay) to rebuild their city -- had to return empty because no one showed up to work. People here were crying that the needed help, they needed jobs, etc. yet when a job was offered ... no takers. I wish that weren't true but Houstonians had a front row seat to watch that happen.

Not sure where you are that you haven't run across any Americans who thought that construction work was beneath them but it happens a lot with a lot of different jobs not just construction jobs. Yes it would change if Mom and Dad would cut them but that doesn't happen much anymore either.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:41 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Really - well living in Houston we saw firsthand where buses were sent here to pick up people who had evacuated here from NOLA to come back and work (for pay) to rebuild their city -- had to return empty because no one showed up to work. People here were crying that the needed help, they needed jobs, etc. yet when a job was offered ... no takers. I wish that weren't true but Houstonians had a front row seat to watch that happen.

Not sure where you are that you haven't run across any Americans who thought that construction work was beneath them but it happens a lot with a lot of different jobs not just construction jobs. Yes it would change if Mom and Dad would cut them but that doesn't happen much anymore either.
Supply and demand perhaps? The economy after Katrina/Rita was much stronger than now so people who were willing to bust ass could name their price.

Old 09-21-2008, 04:33 AM

164 posts, read 260,182 times
Quote:

Your right many jobs Americans won't do they use illegals than discard them after they worked them for pennies. This is why Amnesty is needed and will come after Nov.

To compensate for the abuse that has been inflicted on hard working people.

Old 09-21-2008, 04:36 AM

164 posts, read 260,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
You got any PROOF of that assertion, amigo? People went to New Orleans from ALL OVER the South to work on the clean-up and rebuilding only to be sent away when 'The Mexicans' arrived. Why the hell do you think they WENT if they didn't want the WORK?

Some people...

Citizens did not want the cleaning and construction work in New Orleans . So called illegals are there now working hard as soon will be in Texas also.

After 08 most likely by 09 they will be given amnesty and America will rejoice as it is the right thing to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration