Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2008, 06:36 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,411,011 times

Advertisements

It's been more than two years since state lawmakers convened in a special legislative session and passed a host of bills aimed at tackling illegal immigration on the local and state level.

But now, in the wake of two high-profile arrests in Aurora of suspected illegal immigrants with lengthy criminal records, more questions are being raised about what role local law enforcement should play in immigration matters. In both of the Aurora cases, police say they referred the men to federal authorities after previous arrests. But in each case, the men were back on Aurora streets within months.

And, some politicians say, the two Aurora cases illustrate something that has been clear to them for months: No matter how often local police refer suspected illegal immigrants to Immigration and Customs Enforcement, if there isn't adequate federal response, the efforts of local cops will be for naught.

"Local law enforcement has a mandate to report (suspected illegal immigrants,) but there is no corresponding mandate for ICE to respond," said State Rep. Morgan Carroll, D-Aurora.

In the wake of the two Aurora cases - one in which police say a suspected illegal immigrant caused a crash that killed three people, another in which police say a suspected illegal immigrant returned to Aurora after being deported and tried to kill a man - lawmakers, including Carroll, called for investigations into the way the state deals with illegal immigrants.

Gov. Bill Ritter on Sept. 11 asked Colorado Department of Public Safety Executive Director Peter Weir to conduct a thorough review of the system.

Ritter said the two cases "tragically highlight the need to constantly review gaps and make changes to close them.

"Immigration enforcement is ultimately the responsibility of the federal government," Ritter said. "And clearly, Washington has failed to fix a broken system. But at the local and state levels where we are on the front lines, we have a responsibility to identify and help solve problems.

The danger of the legislature is to pass bills for bills' sake," she said. "Any time you have an intensely charged situation, you need to be measured to make sure what you're doing is act solving a problem."
http://www.aurorasentinel.com/main.asp?SectionID=8&SubSectionID=8&ArticleID=2054 7 (broken link)

Either Obama's minions have already gained enough power to slow the raids or deportations or the border patrol has become less than enthusiastic a result of how mistreated they are. Who wants to risk their life and freedom knowing that there is a possibility of your own government railroading you into a long stretch in a prison cell?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 01:55 PM

608 posts, read 923,881 times
What a suprise...After a few big busts to fool the American people into thinking the the government is trying to put a stop to the insanity known as the illegal problem, the busts slow back down again. Is this anything new to anyone? (Please Obama, take what little I have left and give to people that hate my country, my, race, my culture, and the very laws I follow!)

Old 09-25-2008, 04:27 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,411,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishing View Post
What a suprise...After a few big busts to fool the American people into thinking the the government is trying to put a stop to the insanity known as the illegal problem, the busts slow back down again. Is this anything new to anyone? (Please Obama, take what little I have left and give to people that hate my country, my, race, my culture, and the very laws I follow!)
Unforunately, you've summed that up quite nicely. As America's financial tide takes a turn for the worst, I think after the election, no matter which OBL wins, they will be forced to rethink the promises they made to their illegal aliens
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration