Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 09:23 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
It could be because so many illegals came from Mexico. I'm pretty sure over half of all illegals came from Mexico and a good many more came through Mexico to get here.
I think you're right. Tho word is we're getting less Mexicans these days but more Hispanics from further south.

Old 07-19-2015, 03:50 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,436,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael85225 View Post
...I know the difference between African Americans and Africans from Africa, so why won't most of you know the difference between Mexican Americans and Mexicans from Mexico?
Simple.

When the House of Representatives passed a bill making illegal immigration and harboring an illegal immigrant a felony in 2006, protesters came out waving Mexican flags.

Wave the American flag, then we'll consider you American.

There's also all this talk about "the Latino vote," meaning politicians have to go easy on illegal immigration or Latinos in general won't vote for them.

Last edited by dechatelet; 07-19-2015 at 04:53 AM..

Old 07-19-2015, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael85225 View Post
...When (for ONLY certain days like Cinco De Mayo, etc.) I carry an American flag with a Mexican flag, I am viewed as a racists and Un-American. Do I not have a right to embrace my other culture just for one day?
I'm a mixture of various European heritages, but I don't wave their flags.

You are inviting people to see you as divided in your loyalty between America and Mexico.

So don't get mad when they accept that invitation.

Old 07-19-2015, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Why not change their lifestyle if needed to assimilate into the dominant culture? The Irish did it as well as the Italians, Japanese, etc.

I am not referring to holding onto certain customs if they do not conflict with mainstream society (foods, music, etc). OTOH: learning English is paramount.

When a person immigrates to the USA: 'do in Rome as the Romans would do'.

You may call it cultural 'genocide'---------I call it assimilation.
Exactly -- I notice a lot of spokesmen for Latinos make a big point of pronoucing Spanish words with the rolling Rs and all the other accoutrements of Mexican Spanish.

Why -- when they don't pronounce anything else that way?

I don't go around using Swedish words complete with the correct pronunciation when I talk about my Swedish ancestry.

It strikes me as very "We're taking over" aggressive.

Old 07-19-2015, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
Are you so sure it's a "loophole" and not what the Founding Fathers had intended? Even if it is a "loophole" -- fine, go ahead and amend the Constitution.
The founding fathers looked ahead a hundred years and said "We need to do something for anchor babies"?

I don't think so.

The Fourteenth Amendment was to give former slaves full citizenship, period.

Quote:
The sewer-level quality of the American public education, corruption in the unions, and a culture of entitlement undercut labor a lot more.
No, they don't.

Supply and demand.

A flood of both legal and illegal immigrants when we don't have jobs for Americans.

It's pretty obvious how that plays out.

Last edited by dechatelet; 07-19-2015 at 04:57 AM..

Old 07-19-2015, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
Fair enough, but if you want to enact this into LAW, you have to define your terms. What makes a person American enough? What are "old-country's ways"? If someone born in Portugal picks up a guitar and signs fado on Friday nights, does that mean he is holding on to his "old-country's ways" and must be deported? Should the government regulate what people eat? Is it okay to hold on to the "old-country's ways" in private, or should the government install listening devices in people's homes to monitor what language they speak in the family? If immigrants of similar ethnic background date or marry, does this mean they've failed to assimilate? Is one allowed to have an accent, or would the accent be a ground for deportation? If English fluency is required as a prerequisite to retaining one's citizenship, how many grammatical mistakes does one have to make before deportation is triggered? Alternatively, does speaking English in ways that are too meticulously correct indicate that one is not assimilated? Would you require name changes? Is being a New Yorker "assimilated enough", or should one be required to adapt ways that are more, say, oh, Idahoan? Either way, if you had a law that states "an immigrant is required to assimilate", you have to define "assimilation".
Try this on for size:

Don't wave the flag of your former country (or the country of your heritage) at a demonstration of people demanding that the inhabitants of that country be allowed to break our laws and immigrate here illegally.

Old 07-19-2015, 05:22 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,304,383 times
The irony is that Mexicans have deeper blood ties and claims the Americas than European descended Americans.

Old 07-19-2015, 05:46 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alandros View Post
The irony is that Mexicans have deeper blood ties and claims the Americas than European descended Americans.
Uh; Mexican ain't a race. Some are Black, some are white, some are Indian and the rest are mixed. Too; the Mexican based Indian tribes didn't live as far north as the Apache and so on. Word was that our tribes got kinda pissed when the Aztecs tried to invade what's now the US.

Old 07-19-2015, 05:48 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,885,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Simple.

When the House of Representatives passed a bill making illegal immigration and harboring an illegal immigrant a felony in 2006, protesters came out waving Mexican flags.

There's also all this talk about "the Latino vote," meaning politicians have to go easy on illegal immigration or Latinos in general won't vote for them.
Yes I do noticed and recall that when I was in Phoenix. Did everyone notice that during AZ1070 it important to be Mexican? Why don't law abiding Mexicans turn in their Illegal friends if they are so America!?

Old 07-19-2015, 06:22 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Simple.

Thats a good point. It seems like overtime there is a protest supporting illegal immigration or demanding special consideration the protestors are waving the flag of Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration