Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 10:18 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
So you are willing to let in billions of people? Just where would they live? How would our infrastructure support all of those people -- who will be having their own children who will then also have children? What about jobs, will there be enough jobs for billions more people?
Not to mention the inherent unfairness of your proposal. If you are living in an UN refugee camp for instance, you are told that because of the influx of illegal immigrants in the US you have to wait an additional five years to immigrate...but don't worry, those that are already living in the US are in the back of the line. How does that even begin to make sense? They are not in the back of the line, they are in front of it!
There are not billions of people waiting to enter here. And I would limit it to those who have visa applications that are 2 years or older so that gobs of people would not run and apply to get in on it. And it would not be unfair. Those waiting in UN camps that have visa applications on file for 2 years could come to the USA right now BUT under the same conditions imposed by the amnesty on those already here- 10 years until any possible citizenship and a probabtionary period of 5 years- or they could choose to wait in line for a regular visa which gives them immediate Permanent Residence status and citizenship in 5 years. Some people might decide that a few extra years of waiting for a regular visa is worth it. Others might decide to come immediately under amnesty. Also the illegals here now would have to prove A 2 year or longer presence in the country to qualify for the amnesty program. The point is that we have to find a way to do an amnesty in a fair and orderly manner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 10:20 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,640,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
There are not billions of people waiting to enter here. And I would limit it to those who have visa applications that are 2 years or older so that gobs of people would not run and apply to get in on it.
If we had open borders you better believe we would have billions of people getting in line.
But again, you are going to punish people who apply for visas as oppossed to sneaking into the country illegally. They have a quota system but illegals don't?
Again, where is the fairness in your scenario?

Old 12-21-2008, 10:20 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
The fence will be built just in time to defend nobody from entering, what a waste of money and offensive to all of Latin America. That wall will come back to haunt us.

I honestly wish the illegals would all leave tomorrow, just so I can see how Americans will do paying high labor during a recession and not having Mexicans to do their sweat work any longer. I do believe illegals will leave on their own, as jobs are drying up, however the war against the drug cartels is bound to keep many here.

One thing will be hilarious though, when there are no jobs watch how all the talks of "Aztlán" and "Reconquista" will go away...I guess it was never a hostile take over and they really just wanted to work after all... huh drama queens?

As far as Obama goes, I think he will actually make some quick changes to immigration in a year or so. He is setting the cabinet up for a change in immigration i.e. Hilda Solis.
The wall is NOT offensive at all since 70% of illegal immigration comes from south from that border. It is merely putting the wall where it needs to be. Americans will do the jobs that illegals have been doing as long as you pay them a decent wage.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:25 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
There are not billions of people waiting to enter here. And I would limit it to those who have visa applications that are 2 years or older so that gobs of people would not run and apply to get in on it.
I would limit it to those who are educated, have enough money and skills to support themselves or have a stable sponsor. I would decline any unskilled or destitute applicants. We just can't afford to add to our burden.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:42 AM

974 posts, read 1,587,633 times
i assure you, if my family needed the money and if i couldnt find work, i would gladly do any nasty, dirty, demeaning job out there to feed/clothe/house them. i am not above flipping a burger if needed. and im sure there are millions of americans that feel the same.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:54 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Well let me expand- Americans who are legal citizens- Hispanic or not- do not wish to do that kind of work.
Money talks; we all know what walks.

If the economy is bad enough; you will see Americans doing the work that 'no one will do'.

Now: if things are good.............either wages go up or a bunch of so-called 'Yuppies' simply do without. Us blue collar folks usually do our own dirty work.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Well the Republicans have already permanently lost California because of their Mexican bashing (thank you Pete Wilson for making the state with the biggest electorial prize permanently blue). It appears that they are pretty close to losing New Mexico, Colorado and Nevada for good and hopefully Arizona and Texas will follow! So I always encourage the Republicans to keep appealing to old angry white males! As a Democrat, I love it!
Be careful there: the number of Blue Dog Democrats are growing..........which may cause a split within the party. Remember too that with the GOP in ideological trouble----------more and more of us moderate/liberal Republicans may wind up joining the Blue Dogs.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
The wall is NOT offensive at all since 70% of illegal immigration comes from south from that border. It is merely putting the wall where it needs to be. Americans will do the jobs that illegals have been doing as long as you pay them a decent wage.
As you stated.

Too: I have had several Hispanics and American Indians unload on me with their rabid anger against the illegal aliens from SOB as well.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:02 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,640,781 times
Quote:
I, like many other folks who see the value and hard work that the Mexicans give our nation everyday, had hoped for immigration reform that would allow them to stay here and make a home for themselves and their family (many of their children were born here and are citizens anyway). But the recession is pretty much going to make it politically impossible for President Obama to pass reform within the next year. Hopefully things will get better soon and we can finally legalize these folks who have been doing our "dirty work" for a long time.

Heartbroken.

Hopefully, "things" will get better soon for US CITIZENS ONLY, and we can finally throw these criminals over the fence once and for all. Don't presume to think someone who has lived decades in a border state doesn't know the facts and figures concerning these parasites.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:13 AM

7,025 posts, read 11,411,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Agreed.

Screw latin America. They obviously aren't offended enough to create jobs and educate, care about or provide a decent life for their OWN people. They also have had no problem encouraging their illegal aliens to enter America while their oligarchies and respective governments continue begging for and accepting billions of American tax dollars so that they don't have to take care of their abundant population of illiterate, criminal peasants.

Mexico and the rest of Latin America can kiss my grits and give me a refund.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration