Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 08:53 AM

7,025 posts, read 11,409,544 times

Advertisements

The measure, which would limit virtually all government communications and publications in Metro Nashville to English, helped draw 1,161 people to the polls on Friday. A second ballot question would alter the process for voter-driven changes to the Metro Charter.

"Heavy is not the word," said Ray Barrett, Davidson County's administrator of elections. "It's a good turnout for a special election. Everybody's a little surprised, being it's the day after New Year's."

English-only draws strong 1st-day voting | www.tennessean.com | The Tennessean

It's disgusting that such mandates are necessary since one of the requirements of immigrating to this country is at least being able to read, write and comprehend basic English. More tax dollars being wasted, based solely upon the ignorance, arrogant, spanish speaking, non-assimilating illegal aliens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 09:00 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Having one language is the only fair way because as we're seeing there is an awful lot of job discrimination going on in favor of one foreign language and preference being given to speakers of one foreign language over all others including those who speak the language of this country.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:04 AM

7,025 posts, read 11,409,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Having one language is the only fair way because as we're seeing there is an awful lot of job discrimination going on in favor of one foreign language and preference being given to speakers of one foreign language over all others including those who speak the language of this country.
Once again, ITA. This IS NOT a hispanic country of origin. Frankly not only is it disrespectful to Americans, we also have LEGAL immigrants of various ethnicities who are not receiving preferential treatment courtesy of our tax dollars based solely on the fact that they are too stupid or lazy to learn English. The billions wasted in court costs, spanish interpreters, ESL classrooms, police, etc. would be better spent rounding up and deporting anyone who has no legal right to be in this country.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:58 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,286,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I thought preference was given to people who are bilingual, not speaking "one foreign language".

Old 01-03-2009, 02:28 PM

759 posts, read 3,184,856 times
Most other (Italian, Polish, German, Chinese, Indian, etc.) immigrants today speak English...

Old 01-03-2009, 02:36 PM

608 posts, read 1,005,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icon7 View Post
Most other (Italian, Polish, German, Chinese, Indian, etc.) immigrants today speak English...
They did not benefit from big media companies producing programs and advertisements catering to them in their own languages. We live in a different time. You can't compare past immigrants to those of today. Especially today's Spanish speaking immigrants where media giants, producers of products and marketing agencies target this multi million dollar (if not billion) target audience.

Old 01-03-2009, 03:06 PM

50,294 posts, read 47,043,365 times
I think if we were overran by another immigrant storm due a war or something from a Nation like Somalia the sympathizers would get it then. If millions were demanding their language displace the press 2 option of Spanish the wailing would be louder than the one for free social services.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:56 PM

2,075 posts, read 2,137,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonCynic View Post
They did not benefit from big media companies producing programs and advertisements catering to them in their own languages. We live in a different time. You can't compare past immigrants to those of today. Especially today's Spanish speaking immigrants where media giants, producers of products and marketing agencies target this multi million dollar (if not billion) target audience.
I usually stay out of this,but, I beg 2 differ with you on that. I can compare past immigrants to those of today. In the past they came here to be a part of America. They were productive, learned english, and, did NOT demand I learn thier language!! They did not cross the border illegaly by the millions.

Old 01-03-2009, 05:25 PM

608 posts, read 1,005,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwebbster View Post
I usually stay out of this,but, I beg 2 differ with you on that. I can compare past immigrants to those of today. In the past they came here to be a part of America. They were productive, learned english, and, did NOT demand I learn thier language!! They did not cross the border illegaly by the millions.
In the past they came here for work opportunity. Becoming part of the American dream was a benefit. Remember, most immigrants of the industrial revolution were poor and destitute with no alternative but to come to the US for work opportunities. There were no alternate language programs just as there were no labor protection laws/regulations against worker abuse or against child labor. Government, technology and big business has enabled what we have today.

Old 01-03-2009, 05:32 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,300,139 times
I believe it was President Clinton who signed an executive order mandating translation help and foreign language publication ..............I will do some research on that though to verify my comment..
Right now the wife is wanting to go to the steak place so I will be backkkkkkkkkkkkk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration