Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2009, 12:22 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

The housing of federal detainees is proving to be a money-maker for a county in central Nebraska.

Hall County has generated $1.25 million since December from a contract with Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

New County Jail Proving To Be A Money-Maker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 02:19 PM

2,381 posts, read 5,045,963 times
I clicked on the link but could not see the article so I can't say I can form an honest opinion but how does it "make money" when the money is coming out of tax payers?

Old 09-22-2009, 02:40 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
I clicked on the link but could not see the article so I can't say I can form an honest opinion but how does it "make money" when the money is coming out of tax payers?

We call it Poetic Justice Stimulus. I'm willing to pay for that and the bus ride to the port of Brownsville, and a long boat ride to the southern tip of Mexico and all points beyond.

Old 09-22-2009, 04:59 PM

2,381 posts, read 5,045,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
We call it Poetic Justice Stimulus. I'm willing to pay for that and the bus ride to the port of Brownsville, and a long boat ride to the southern tip of Mexico and all points beyond.
You may be able to donate your money to anyone you wish. Not all have that luxery. It certainly is unfair to tax payers. Where are those angry tax payers??As I have said before incarcerating and deporting is far more costly as I'm guessing this article is pointing out.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:23 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
I couldn't see the article either...but my gues would be that the jail provides jobs (relatively high-paying ones), in a remote county suffering from unemployment. Particularly if they have some sort of 'contract' to care for those shipped in from elsewhere. (As you know, The Government pays VERY well, and their checks never bounce. If you have a "contract" to provide services..ANY services... for the Government, it's like hitting a 'jackpot').

There's quite a movement today housing prisoners in remote, depressed areas..these places actually COMPETE with each other for the right to have prisons built there...they're looked at as "economic gold mines", and they don't pollute. Some of these places even contract to house convicted felons from other states. Oregon, for example, was recently shipping some of its prisoners to Texas; there, they could be housed cheaper than in Oregon. Wyoming, I believe, sends some of its felons to do their time in Virginia. It's a huge "business".

NOW..if you're saying that the taxpayers are paying for this...well, of course. It costs "us" a fortune to imprison people. But for the local population of that county, it's a 'moneymaker'...just like having a new air base, or a large shipyard...LOTS of money goes to the contractors who build it...and LOTS of money goes to the employees who staff the place....and these "prison jobs" may be the only jobs around.

And you and I pay for it all...of course....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration