Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 09:10 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,477,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey cabal View Post
I didn’t want to make this thread all about race—that is, unless race is the answer. Look at the original post.

I suspect that the vast majority of U.S. citizens don’t encounter illegal aliens on a day-to-day basis. So why is there a small contingent who vehemently dwell on this topic with such intensity? Has an illegal alien personally done something to you?
I can think of no reason why the laws that apply to others who wish to come to the US should be suspended in order to accommodate the wishes of the illegal aliens and their enablers. I am tired or their identity politics and their claims of victimization. Above and beyond all else, I am tired of their attitude of entitlement. This country owes them nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 09:12 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Your post is one of the best, most well thought out, posts I’ve read in this forum. I was curious as to why there is a small contingent who seems so hateful towards illegal aliens. Sadly, I believe you are correct. Race is the answer.
Hateful towards illegal aliens? What does that mean? Would you also call it hate if we complained about American bank robbers, home invaders, car theives? Some how I doubt it.

By the way illegal alien isn't a race.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:24 AM

776 posts, read 1,275,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Hateful towards illegal aliens? What does that mean? Would you also call it hate if we complained about American bank robbers, home invaders, car theives? Some how I doubt it.
I guess I don’t understand how you can equate bank robbers, home invaders and car thieves to illegal aliens. Most illegals come to this country seeking the jobs that others don’t want—fruit pickers, entry-level construction workers, and other difficult and dirty manual labor jobs. In that sense illegal aliens are doing something good for society—that is, taking difficult, low paying jobs that most others don’t want. Like the poster above mentioned, illegals are more like a person operating a dry cleaning establishment without a license than they are like bank robbers, home invaders and car thieves.

Would you say that illegals are more like someone operating a dry cleaning establishment without the proper license, or like bank robbers, home invaders and car thieves?

Old 10-14-2009, 09:29 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,477,905 times
Quote:
I guess I don’t understand how you can equate bank robbers, home invaders and car thieves to illegal aliens. Most illegals come to this country seeking the jobs that others don’t want—fruit pickers, entry-level construction workers, and other difficult and dirty manual labor jobs. In that sense illegal aliens are doing something good for society—that is, taking difficult, low paying jobs that most others don’t want. Like the poster above mentioned, illegals are more like a person operating a dry cleaning establishment without a license than they are like bank robbers, home invaders and car thieves.

Would you say that illegals are more like someone operating a dry cleaning establishment without the proper license, or like bank robbers, home invaders and car thieves?
If they are only doing the jobs no one else wants, according to you, then why not have a temporary work visa program? They come here, do the job that supposedly no one else wants and when the job is done, they leave.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:31 AM

163 posts, read 240,871 times
Quote:
What sort of vast experiences led you to this inescapable conclusion? Did illegals commit crimes against you personally? Maybe steal your car, or television set? Did they beat you up or frighten you with violence of some sort? Why are you so angry towards illegal aliens?
Why can't people just accept that the "anti-illegal alien" crowd is against them because of their negative impact on the country both economically and culturally. One doesn't have to have been a victim of a rapist or murderer or other violent offender to be against those actions because they are just WRONG...like allowing illegal aliens to run free is wrong.

Illegal aliens coming into this country without proper documentation is wrong and against the law. Taking what does not belong to them in terms of social services, other people's identities, etc is wrong and against the law. Thumbing their noses at our laws and spitting in our faces despite all they receive is wrong. It really is that simple.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:39 AM

776 posts, read 1,275,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimy View Post
Why can't people just accept that the "anti-illegal alien" crowd is against them because of their negative impact on the country both economically and culturally. One doesn't have to have been a victim of a rapist or murderer or other violent offender to be against those actions because they are just WRONG...like allowing illegal aliens to run free is wrong.
That, sir, is the whole point of this thread. Why, WHY, is there a small contingent of people who hate illegals so much. I don't think it is due to the ecomonics of the situation. Illegals contribute a lot of cheap labor. I don't think it is due to a negative cultural impact. (We are a melting pot, remember?)

Quote:
Illegal aliens coming into this country without proper documentation is wrong and against the law. Taking what does not belong to them in terms of social services, other people's identities, etc is wrong and against the law. Thumbing their noses at our laws and spitting in our faces despite all they receive is wrong. It really is that simple.
Yes, it is wrong to break laws. But why doesn't the small angry contingent go after illegal dry cleaners and unlicensed contruction contractors? And why isn't there an uproar over people who drive 5 mph over the speed limit? Laws are being broken all over the place.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:05 AM

163 posts, read 240,871 times
Quote:
That, sir, is the whole point of this thread. Why, WHY, is there a small contingent of people who hate illegals so much. I don't think it is due to the ecomonics of the situation. Illegals contribute a lot of cheap labor. I don't think it is due to a negative cultural impact. (We are a melting pot, remember?)
First off I'm a ma'am not a sir.

It is economics. You say illegals contribute cheap labor and that is part of the problem. Their cheap labor helps no one but the business owner who hires them. Their cheap labor does not translate to lower prices for products or services that would benefit society but only to higher profits for the business owners. And yes, the business owners need to be dealt with also but the problem a lot of people have with the illegals themselves is their arrogance and sense of entitlement...they feel they can do what they want and too bad for us.

And no...we are no longer a melting pot. A melting pot is where all the "ingredients" blend together to make ONE dish. Political correctness has ended that. The US tried to be accomodating by allowing things that didn't jibe with our culture and for that we became the world's doormat. Instead of all the different cultures blending together we have different groups of people coming here and still wanting to live exactly as they did in whatever country they fled from.

Quote:
Yes, it is wrong to break laws. But why doesn't the small angry contingent go after illegal dry cleaners and unlicensed contruction contractors? And why isn't there an uproar over people who drive 5 mph over the speed limit? Laws are being broken all over the place.
Again, part of it goes back to the arrogance of the new wave of illegal aliens. They don't want to play by the rules but they want and DEMAND the benefits. And when they don't get their way they start with the racist, xenophobic bullcrap. You can't thumb your nose at me with one hand while your other hand is reaching into my pocket and expect me to smile.

Yes, laws are being broken all over the place and those can be and are addressed in the other areas. This forum is about illegal aliens therefore the focus is on that.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:31 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:

It is economics. You say illegals contribute cheap labor and that is part of the problem. Their cheap labor helps no one but the business owner who hires them. Their cheap labor does not translate to lower prices for products or services that would benefit society but only to higher profits for the business owners. And yes, the business owners need to be dealt with also but the problem a lot of people have with the illegals themselves is their arrogance and sense of entitlement...they feel they can do what they want and too bad for us.

And no...we are no longer a melting pot. A melting pot is where all the "ingredients" blend together to make ONE dish. Political correctness has ended that. The US tried to be accomodating by allowing things that didn't jibe with our culture and for that we became the world's doormat. Instead of all the different cultures blending together we have different groups of people coming here and still wanting to live exactly as they did in whatever country they fled from.

Again, part of it goes back to the arrogance of the new wave of illegal aliens. They don't want to play by the rules but they want and DEMAND the benefits. And when they don't get their way they start with the racist, xenophobic bullcrap. You can't thumb your nose at me with one hand while your other hand is reaching into my pocket and expect me to smile.

Yes, laws are being broken all over the place and those can be and are addressed in the other areas. This forum is about illegal aliens therefore the focus is on that.
Bravo! Unfortunately, I have already used my ‘rep’ allotment for you.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:48 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:
Your post is one of the best, most well thought out, posts I’ve read in this forum. I was curious as to why there is a small contingent who seems so hateful towards illegal aliens. Sadly, I believe you are correct. Race is the answer.
While I certainly agree that macmeal’s post is excellent, I believe you don’t quite understand the message he was conveying. He was not marginalizing illegal immigration with his ‘dry cleaning’ analogy. He simply meant, if not for the ‘racial’ component, illegal immigration would not be as vitriolic for BOTH sides -- particularly, the pro-illegal crowd, who are often involved in this debate for no other reason than a shared ethnicity with illegals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Why such a divisive topic? RACE, (or ethnicity) that's why. It fuels the majority of the vitriol on BOTH sides of the issue. The virulent anti-illegals are usually concerned with race; the strident pro-illegals are, too. If the "race" of the illegals was different, so would be the positions of MOST of those arguing on both sides.

ANY subject or controversy with any possible racial angle will be made out to be a HUGE 'deal'. Without that component, the whole subject of illegal immigration would be just about as controversial as "operating a dry cleaning establishment without a license"...or adding a bedroom to a house without securing the proper permits....

Without the 'racial' angle....SOME of the 'anti's' would lose interest in the whole issue...along with MOST of the 'pro-illegals'. It would quickly become a 'no-brainer', and this forum would cease to exist. All that would be left to discuss was that illegal immigration was a violation of the law..simple fact; not much controversy there, I'm afraid.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:59 AM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:

Extremely well put! Besides being robbed, dealing with them in the ERs, schools and on the freeways and parking lots it's comes down to simple economics for me. When there is large price tag attached to their existence here enough is enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration