Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2009, 09:48 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,320,782 times

Advertisements

When John Spears gets home from his sales job in New York, he sits down
at his computer with a bottle of beer and starts patrolling the US border.

And to do it, he does not need to stir from his sofa.

He is one of tens of thousands of people around the world who are
volunteering to patrol the 1250-mile long (2000 km) stretch between
Texas and Mexico via the web.

The controversial $4m (£2.5m) Texas Virtual Border Watch Programme
invites civilians to log on to Blueservo.net.

There they can monitor live feeds 24/7 from 21 hidden surveillance
cameras placed at intervals along the border.
Moderator cut: shortened, copyright protection

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8412603.stm

Last edited by Yac; 12-28-2009 at 07:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 09:51 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
When John Spears gets home from his sales job in New York, he sits down
at his computer with a bottle of beer and starts patrolling the US border.

And to do it, he does not need to stir from his sofa.

He is one of tens of thousands of people around the world who are
volunteering to patrol the 1250-mile long (2000 km) stretch between
Texas and Mexico via the web.

The controversial $4m (£2.5m) Texas Virtual Border Watch Programme
invites civilians to log on to Blueservo.net.

There they can monitor live feeds 24/7 from 21 hidden surveillance
cameras placed at intervals along the border.
Moderator cut: shortened, copyright protection

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8412603.stm
name calling americans for defending their own homeland is not acceptable. these are not vigilantes they are heros. when the fence was finished at san ysidro, you could hear the howling all the way from los pinos.

Last edited by Yac; 12-28-2009 at 07:54 AM..

Old 12-27-2009, 10:14 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Of COURSE it's a form of vigilantiism....what do we expect? TEN PERCENT of one large country has now packed up and moved...mostly illegally....into the country next door....with no end in sight, no admission on the part of EITHER government that this is a 'problem'...few comments from the press that the reaction to all this is anything more than racist xenophobia....and NO convincing statements from anyone in high office, or in law enforcement, that anything is going to be done about it. It's now gotten to the point that the only conflict is between those who want to give amnesty to a FEW illegals, and those who wish to extend it to ALL. Illegal immigration isn't even seen as 'wrong' anymore, it's simply become a 'debate'.

In view of that situation, (pretty much unprecedented in PEACETIME in modern history), we now hear that a few disgruntled citizens have taken it upon themselves to 'monitor' the situation....and this is supposed to be 'surprising'? I don't see why. What's surprising, in my opinion, is that so far, this is a 'bad' as it's gotten. Let's hope these 'cyber-vigilantes' don't develop into something worse.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:17 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
He argues that border cameras will "invite extremists to participate in
a virtual immigrant hunt".

No not immigrant. The accurate term would be Illegal immigrant. And all good citizens should do what they can to fight crime.

Critics say it is encouraging vigilantism and stoking anti-immigrant
feeling.

Once again. Not anti-immigrant. It stokes anti-illegal immigrant feelings. As well it should. Illegals are a burden just as all criminals are. Good citizens should feel bad about criminals.
It sounds like a great idea. Anything that makes the life of an illegal more difficult is a good thing.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:23 AM

50,294 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Too bad they can't put cameras on buoys.

Small boat hits reef; passengers flee scene - Metro - SignOnSanDiego.com

Old 12-27-2009, 02:24 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
He argues that border cameras will "invite extremists to participate in
a virtual immigrant hunt".

No not immigrant. The accurate term would be Illegal immigrant. And all good citizens should do what they can to fight crime.

Critics say it is encouraging vigilantism and stoking anti-immigrant
feeling.

Once again. Not anti-immigrant. It stokes anti-illegal immigrant feelings. As well it should. Illegals are a burden just as all criminals are. Good citizens should feel bad about criminals.
It sounds like a great idea. Anything that makes the life of an illegal more difficult is a good thing.
Correct. This simply shows the usual European/ Leftist disdain for "Mr.Average American" (meaning Mr. Average gun-toting, pickup-drivng, reactionary backwoods rustic...certainly a fellow NOT to be trusted, even in the best of times).

Alleging that this type of 'exposure' is going to incite the murderous, xenophobic screwballs in our midst to commit violence against illegals, (so therefore it shouldn't be shown), makes no more sense than stating that police 'sweeps' of drug pushers or the like shouldn't be publicized, because it might cause well-meaning 'kooks' to attempt to shoot drug dealers.

As usual, the whole idea is that we Americans 'can't be trusted' to act rationally; that it's up to European journalists and various other members of the intelligentsia to tell us what we SHOULD do. That part doesn't surprise me. Neither does the 'immigrants' part; after all, you don't REALLY expect an article from the mainstream press alarmed about Americans upset with ILLEGALS, do you? That might be too sympathetic. But if you can spin your article to show that Americans (who are 'all immigrants', anyway), are now mad at IMMIGRANTS. THat gives the story the nice 'bigoted', racist, hypocritical picture of Mr. Average American that your raders are looking for.

Nothing about this article is surprising...and nothing about the 'vigilantes' is any more disappointing to me, than people who spend their time vicariously living out the adventures of 'reality TV' or 'Survivor'-type shows. It's lowbrow and sad, maybe....but the 'xenophobic, anti-immigrant' spin is just nonsense.

Old 12-27-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Correct. This simply shows the usual European/ Leftist disdain for "Mr.Average American" (meaning Mr. Average gun-toting, pickup-drivng, reactionary backwoods rustic...certainly a fellow NOT to be trusted, even in the best of times).

Alleging that this type of 'exposure' is going to incite the murderous, xenophobic screwballs in our midst to commit violence against illegals, (so therefore it shouldn't be shown), makes no more sense than stating that police 'sweeps' of drug pushers or the like shouldn't be publicized, because it might cause well-meaning 'kooks' to attempt to shoot drug dealers.

As usual, the whole idea is that we Americans 'can't be trusted' to act rationally; that it's up to European journalists and various other members of the intelligentsia to tell us what we SHOULD do. That part doesn't surprise me. Neither does the 'immigrants' part; after all, you don't REALLY expect an article from the mainstream press alarmed about Americans upset with ILLEGALS, do you? That might be too sympathetic. But if you can spin your article to show that Americans (who are 'all immigrants', anyway), are now mad at IMMIGRANTS. THat gives the story the nice 'bigoted', racist, hypocritical picture of Mr. Average American that your raders are looking for.

Nothing about this article is surprising...and nothing about the 'vigilantes' is any more disappointing to me, than people who spend their time vicariously living out the adventures of 'reality TV' or 'Survivor'-type shows. It's lowbrow and sad, maybe....but the 'xenophobic, anti-immigrant' spin is just nonsense.
Well many of those who feel we can't make rational decisions also believe that we should allow other nations to decide our immigration policies.

Last edited by tinman01; 12-27-2009 at 03:25 PM..

Old 12-27-2009, 04:33 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,916 times
This is awesome. I really don't see how anyone could complain about this program. I don't think the pro-illegal immigrant groups realize just how much we respect our country and how we want todeter and decrease illegal immigration. I am going to be sharing this with everyone I know because I hear everyday people and people that I know from all backgrounds talking about their disappointment and basically frustration with the illegal immigration and "jumping over the border" in the country. Watching the videos of people trying to sneak their way into the country makes you frustrated because you see just how sneaky and lawless they are. The people that created this need to be applauded and it shows you that US citizens and legal residents who oppose this influx of illegal immigration aren't just going to stand down and let it happen.

Everything that we (concerned citizens and residents) try to do, they try to shut down and try with talk of what they think we will do (you don't have to fight illegal immigration with violence or hate, but they act like that is the case to make their pleas to the government to shut anti-illegal immigration efforts down) or what they think are our motives. That has to stop at some point, the accusations and the fantasy thought of how things are unfair. They act like we aren't stepping up against this because we don't love this country free of millions of illegal immigrants who cheated their way in and/or stole our identities or stole work (and now is about the time when people should really stop using the lame one-liner of "They take jobs you won't do!"). Their time and excuses for not allowing us to exercise our defenses is running out. I think the emphasis on a peaceful battle against illegal immigration should be amplified, they have to understand that we simply do not respect the entrance into this nation via cheating, stealing and crime and we don't want people like that basically getting the American Pie and Dream, it is ours naturally and it is theirs once they legally enter.

This IS our country and people have to stop being afraid to say that. Minus the fact that the radical-Islamic world wants to kill us all (that's really the only big problem, everything else works itself out and is natural of a nation), a confusion in the economy and a two-party system that always fights, we are blessed to be here. Stand up and admit that you have a say in what happens here, especially when it concerns a group that is illegally here. Once again, they want us to be proud of our country when we are going to war, they want us to get hyped, "Go USA," but when it comes to illegal immigration, we are no longer national, we aren't supposed to be proud or protective of our country.

Last edited by SoEdible; 12-27-2009 at 04:43 PM..

Old 12-27-2009, 05:48 PM

I am miffed. I went to the Blueservo web sight. Signed on and I cant get any camera feeds. Damn I wanted to report illegal activity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration