Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 03:17 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by getout View Post
When we first arrived in Houston, TX, we were robbed. Two of the items stolen were a passport and SS card. We informed all legal parties and a re issuance was given. Also implemented was an anti-theft program for our personal information. But now I wonder? Can illegals use the SS number without my knowledge? I'll tell you that I am so completely naive (but learning!) that when I found they were gone I simply thought of the hassle of getting a new one. Now my concerns run deeper.

I hope someone will respond to this.
I hate being the bearer of bad news, but I would be surprised if your SSN is not being used. It’s even possible that hundreds of illegals are using it. Check with the Social Security Administration IMMEDIATELY. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 03:30 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
What you say is true, some documents are well forged.

I was actually thinking about a case where an illegal DID say he didn't know the SSN was someone else's and he was given a slap on the wrist and told not to do it again.

On a side note - but related - I think it is totally stupid that the SS death index online actually puts SSNs out for all to see. Hopefully e-verify catches those thieves who steal from the dead.
I never thought about what you outlined: but my father; who just passed away, he had a Hispanic sounding name (especially the surname).........although he was 80 when he passed earlier this year.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:32 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I hate being the bearer of bad news, but I would be surprised if your SSN is not being used. It’s even possible that hundreds of illegals are using it. Check with the Social Security Administration IMMEDIATELY. Good luck!
Especially of getout has a Spanish last name---------he is indeed at high risk of being screwed over.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:32 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
This is great! However, if the amnesty bill is passed, none of this will matter. Illegals will be absolved of these crimes (and others), and their victims will be left with no legal recourse.
That is one of the most disturbing things about an amnesty. If an American citizen steals someone elses I.D. and/or SS# they would be slapped with a felony and some jail time. Why should there be a double standard for illegal foreigners? Fraud is fraud no matter who commits it.

Old 12-31-2009, 05:56 AM

2,205 posts, read 2,536,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Especially of getout has a Spanish last name---------he is indeed at high risk of being screwed over.
Not meaning to hijack this thread, but thank you! No spanish name here and I am female, also have a "LifeLock" type watchdog. Hope it makes a difference! Will also re contact SS to be sure.

Old 12-31-2009, 02:17 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,538,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I never thought about what you outlined: but my father; who just passed away, he had a Hispanic sounding name (especially the surname).........although he was 80 when he passed earlier this year.
I'm sure many people haven't a clue about the SS website. I hesitated even posting about it, but it's relevant. It's nice that it's there, but the SSN do not need to be posted.

Old 12-31-2009, 04:56 PM

307 posts, read 522,042 times
Hi to all the old timers (AB, Benicar and many more). Sorry I haven't had time to read the forums or to post, but I had part of a day off today and figured I would try to supply some info as I used to do.

In THIS case it has nothing to do with the authorities ignoring the law. The Supreme Court ruled that the law could not be interpreted that way in a UNANIMOUS decision. Generally when a USSC decision is unanimous it tends to be so for pretty clear legal/logical reasons, as opposed to philosophical or political reasons.

In this case it has to do with the words "KNOWINGLY uses the identification of another person."

SS numbers range in theory from 000000000 to 999999999. Less then half of those numbers are assigned to people. Thus if I randomly select a number and ask you does this number belong to someone, if you are honest you would have to say "I don't know." If you then used the number and were asked under oath if you KNOWINGLY used identification belonging to another person the answer would be "NO!"

In order to convict a person of a crime all elements of the crime must be proved. Congress wrote the law with the word "Knowing" and the courts and law enforcement must prove the knowing part. In these cases that element was not proven.

You can blame congress for not writing a law that covers what you want. You can blame the DA for trying to use a law contrary to what it was intended for with a legal hole large enough for first year law student to fall into. But the authorities in THIS case are blameless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
I don't understand this -

quote<
Under federal law, unless the government can prove that an illegal alien is knowingly using a Social Security number that belongs to an American citizen or legal resident, the illegal alien cannot be convicted of aggravated identity theft. >

ermmm.....an ILLEGAL alien KNOWS they have NO RIGHT to any SSN they are using - how can ANY illegal alien caught using a USA SSN NOT know it belongs to an American citizen or legal resident ?

Hell, the AUTHORITIES know this too - what am I missing here?

Is this just another example of a law that the authorities don't have the guts to enforce?

RandomU

Old 12-31-2009, 05:24 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,305,916 times
I always feel helpless when I think about how an illegal immigrant is out there working, opening accounts and living off of my social security number. I actually had a problem when I returned back home from college. Someone had opened an account under my social security number throughout Ohio and when I returned back home I couldn't open a new checking account because CheckSystems had that fradulant account under my name. So, to have to go through that and know that the government is making it OK for illegal immigrants to do this to others it pees you off.

Quote:
75% of illegal aliens are using fraudulently obtained Social Security numbers.

Old 12-31-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
The Social Security Administration has it as their policy that they won't inform US citizens that their social security number is being used. I'll try to dig up that info and post it here. Because I was going to go there and ask them if they have had my social security number reported as being used fraudulantly, but I remember reading an article about how they do not inform people or reveal that information.

EDIT: Here we go: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6814673/...splaymode/1098

Quote:
Still, James Huse Jr., former inspector general of the Social Security Administration, said it is unlikely the agency will ever inform potential victims. “(The list) would be a terrific source of leads for the identity remediation effort, but there are so many other compelling workloads in front of (SSA) I don't know what can they do with that today," he said. "Also, the politics of immigration get involved in this.” A spokesman for the Social Security Administration said the agency simply couldn't disclose the information to consumers because doing so would run afoul of federal law. "That information is considered to be tax return information, and it's governed under the Internal Revenue code," said Social Security's Mark Lassiter. "There are strict limitations on disclosure. Can someone see if anyone else has reported earnings under their Social Security number? The answer would be no."
Messed up huh? It does make me kinda sick to know that someone has my social security number, but that most US citizens wouldn't have to steal a social security number because they already have one. So the government is just letting people come in and do this to us.

Last edited by SoEdible; 12-31-2009 at 05:37 PM..

Old 12-31-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
That is one of the most disturbing things about an amnesty. If an American citizen steals someone elses I.D. and/or SS# they would be slapped with a felony and some jail time. Why should there be a double standard for illegal foreigners? Fraud is fraud no matter who commits it.
That's what I think. It's crazy how they make special considerations for people who choose to come here and do criminal things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration