Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 11:37 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,063,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Currently, yes. However, I can’t believe prior to SB 1070 resorts in Arizona were not employing illegal aliens. He gave the impression that it is an insult to imply that resorts would engage in such practices.

Hopefully, soon we will lose our sanctuary status. We’re working on it. The residents of MD have had enough.
You guess way too much and still you didn't even get the poster's point of view. Did you even understand what they were trying to say? Let me summarize for you, even though English is my second language I still have some reading comprehension skills that I borrowed from my mother tongue Spanish.

What the poster was saying is that some politicians in Arizona in order to get votes are giving the state of Arizona bad publicity. They are making Arizona sound like a war zone invaded with illegals where you will get raped, robbed or killed by illegal aliens just for taking a walk or driving to work.

If that's the case then this should stop after the elections. We shall see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 11:39 AM

207 posts, read 548,906 times
Quote:
Currently, yes. However, I can’t believe prior to SB 1070 resorts in Arizona were not employing illegal aliens. He gave the impression that it is an insult to imply that resorts would engage in such practices.

Hopefully, soon we will lose our sanctuary status. We’re working on it. The residents of MD have had enough.
It's been illegal to hire illegal aliens for the past 3 years in AZ for anything. That came about under Napolitano. Lotta business threw a fit... but complied. I saw a lot of 'difference' in car washes, fast food 'n gas stations right off. Also the 'make ready' crews at the car dealerships. There's an anecdotal, agenda driven idea that AZ can't survive w/o illegal labor. Nothing could be further from the truth.

The MD GA needs housecleaning... but the entrenched Dems in MD won't do that. MD's like a clogged toilet. You have to take a peek now 'n then to see what's in there even tho it doesn't get any better with age.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:51 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,842,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
As a non white non American there is no way I would bother visiting Arizona or spending my money there when my reward would be to be locked up because of my skin tone.
Well unless you're planning on breaking the law while there, I don't see your problem (apart from the obvious)

Old 08-13-2010, 11:55 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
You guess way too much and still you didn't even get the poster's point of view. Did you even understand what they were trying to say? Let me summarize for you, even though English is my second language I still have some reading comprehension skills that I borrowed from my mother tongue Spanish.

What the poster was saying is that some politicians in Arizona in order to get votes are giving the state of Arizona bad publicity. They are making Arizona sound like a war zone invaded with illegals where you will get raped, robbed or killed by illegal aliens just for taking a walk or driving to work.

If that's the case then this should stop after the elections. We shall see.
A million thanks! However, I clearly understood his post; as would anyone of even marginal intelligence. The fact that I chose not to engage in a right vs. left discussion, simply means I don’t play that game. But, you are certainly welcome to enjoy. If I wanted to discuss partisan politics, I would post next door.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:59 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,564,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .45acp View Post
It's been illegal to hire illegal aliens for the past 3 years in AZ for anything. That came about under Napolitano. Lotta business threw a fit... but complied. I saw a lot of 'difference' in car washes, fast food 'n gas stations right off. Also the 'make ready' crews at the car dealerships. There's an anecdotal, agenda driven idea that AZ can't survive w/o illegal labor. Nothing could be further from the truth.

The MD GA needs housecleaning... but the entrenched Dems in MD won't do that. MD's like a clogged toilet. You have to take a peek now 'n then to see what's in there even tho it doesn't get any better with age.
It’s nice to know they at least have tried to enforce the law. Sadly, you are spot on about the politicians in Maryland. Even sadder, there are too many fools who will vote party rather than issue to clean this toilet. I’m a former Democrat, now Independent. This will be the first time in my life I will vote for a Republican for governor.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:15 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
" All along the borders there stretched a belt of turbulent peoples who were ignorant of the restraining influence of civilization but were eager to gain for themselves the riches it had produced "

that quote was spoken about another great world empire - ROME. May we understand history and not repeat its follies.
You nailed it! Clapping wildly!!!

Entry: ser·vi·tude
Pronunciation: \ˈsər-və-ˌtüd, -ˌtyüd\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Anglo-French servitute, from Latin servitudo slavery, from servus slave
Date: 15th century
1 : a condition in which one lacks liberty especially to determine one's course of action or way of life
2 : a right by which something (as a piece of land) owned by one person is subject to a specified use or enjoyment by another

We are headed to becoming serfs serving the elitists. By the way, elitists are the ones who said "Illegals do jobs none of us want", and it's the wealthy who decided this was a fact. The reality is that there are plenty of people who would gladly do a job taken by illegals and would have 10 years ago. How many housewives would make beds in a hotel these days? They do it daily anyway so what makes those jobs unwanted by joe citizen?

The elite think like elites, socialize with elites and do business with elites, so why would they consider the needs of anyone other than an elite?

The decline of the Roman Empire (United States) refers to the societal collapse encompassing both the gradual disintegration of the political, economic, military, and other social institutions of Rome (North America) and the barbarian (undocumented) invasions that were its final doom. -wikipedia

The arrogance of the elitist who control our country will drive us into a new dark age if we allow them to. The outcome of Rome falling was exactly that. The human race lost 1500 years of progress in the process. We need to take the term "history repeats itself" seriously. If we don't then we are destined to repeat it.

Last edited by steven_h; 08-13-2010 at 12:24 PM..

Old 08-13-2010, 01:04 PM

2 posts, read 2,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I won't say that this is entirely due to boycott. Tourism and businesses require a welcoming environment. People may not be boycotting, just don't want to deal with AZ politics. I would too.
Agreed, many legal immigrants I spoke to feel the same way. They just want to stay out of the state until the dust settles.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:35 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
Quote:
Anyone who claims resorts do not employ illegal aliens, be it willfully or unknowingly, is either disingenuous, or totally out of touch.
I am not being disingenuous and I'm certainly not out of touch. I am also not pushing a partisan agenda but stating the fact that the republican political rhetoric concerning illegals is way out of porportion to the actual truth of the matter. The title of this post is the claim that boycotts are hurting the Arizona Tourist industry. My opinion and that of many business leaders in the state is that there is more damage being done by the vituperative rhetoric concerning the hispanic culture and illegals in particular, constantly emanating from the republican leadership. It is only to further their political agenda and they're doing it at the expense of the state's business community. My post directly addresses the OP's original assumption rather than revert back to either side's lock step talking points.

Generally, I respect your posts and read them with an open mind but to imply that the resorts are using illegals without any verification on your part is just plain emotionalism, designed to misrepresent the actual facts and further the mass hysteria. I've been intimately connected with the resort industry for over 28 years on a managerial level and I can attest to the fact that we all use e-verify, collect taxes and FICA and pay all our workers well above minimum wage. All the housekeeping systems in the resorts are "Black light" systems and require highly skilled professionals to ready the guest rooms for the next customer. Every employee in the system must have the ability to effectively interact with the paying customer. The idea that we would use illegals to save a couple bucks an hour is absurd and not worth it to us due to the fact of decreased customer service abilities of illegal aliens. For us, we live or die based on customer service.

One more aspect. Sheriff Joe Arpaio would love to bust a big resort like the Phoenician or Biltmore using illegal labor. The publicity and political mileage would be invaluable to him and the republicans. If there was a "whiff" of improper hiring among the resorts of Arizona, he'd be all over it like a cheap suit. We all know this and hire accordingly.

Last edited by mohawkx; 08-13-2010 at 02:50 PM..

Old 08-13-2010, 03:04 PM

207 posts, read 548,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxDot View Post
Agreed, many legal immigrants I spoke to feel the same way. They just want to stay out of the state until the dust settles.
What? What 'legal immigrants'... where? These fairy tales get more ridiculous daily. SB1070 didn't change anything... it just made the procedure for identification of illegals uniform across the state. Yeah... go thru a US Border Patrol checkpoint 'n get your dust settled. 'Only thing they want to know is if you are an American.... 'n if not you better have your 'papers' and a reason to be here. It doesn't get much more 'in-your-face' than that.

That's been SOP for decades. You do realize that a goodly percentage of Arizona cops and deputy sheriffs are Hispanic don't you? You do understand that Title 8 USC §§ 1304 requires foreign aliens to carry their 'legal' entry documents on them at all times don't you? This is nothing new... and there is abundant case law... regardless of the present judicial face being perpetrated against Arizona by the Obama/Holder/Napalitano cabal.

In Gonzales v. City of Peoria, the Ninth Circuit opined in an immigration case that the "general rule is that local police are not precluded from enforcing federal statutes," 722 F.2d 468, 474 (9th Cir. 1983). United States v. Salinas-Calderon, 728 F.2d 1298, 1301 n.3 (10th Cir. 1984). As the Tenth Circuit has described it, there is a "preexisting general authority of state or local police officers to investigate and make arrests for violations of federal law, including immigration laws," United States v. Vasquez-Alvarez, 176 F.3d 1294, 1295 (10th Cir. 1999).

And again in 2001, the Tenth Circuit reiterated that "state and local police officers [have] implicit authority within their respective jurisdictions ‘to investigate and make arrests for violations of federal law, including immigration laws.’" United States v. Santana-Garcia, 264 F.3d 1188, 1194 (citing United States v. Vasquez-Alvarez, 176 F.3d 1294, 1295). None of these Tenth Circuit holdings drew any distinction between criminal violations of the INA and civil provisions that render an alien deportable. Rather, the inherent arrest authority extends generally to both categories of federal immigration law violations"

All the talking heads keep referring to 'Federal law'... as tho they understood what that is. Here's the rhyme and verse: Title 8 U.S.C. § 1226, provides for apprehension and detention of aliens.

It is so EASY to find this stuff...
http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/crs/rl32270.pdf
State and Local Authority to Enforce Immigration Law: A Unified Approach for Stopping Terrorists | Center for Immigration Studies
http://trac.syr.edu/immigration/library/P48.pdf

Title 8 U.S.C. §§1373 and 8 U.S.C. 1644 prevents the establishment of so-called sanctuary cities... but as we all know... this 'law' is not acted upon. Why? I find it amusing that these same illegal sanctuary cities jumped on the boycott AZ wagon right away. In part...: §§1373 (c) Obligation to respond to inquiries The Immigration and Naturalization Service shall respond to an inquiry by a Federal, State, or local government agency, seeking to verify or ascertain the citizenship or immigration status of any individual within the jurisdiction of the agency for any purpose authorized by law, by providing the requested verification or status information.

I've provided the cites... read 'em yourself.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:20 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
It is not so much SB1070 that I'm against as much as it is the rhetoric and misrepresentation of the illegal immigrant situation the republicans are using to sell the idea to the rest of the public. Couple that with the political bandwagon they've fashoned from it and you have a whole pandora's box of hate, finger pointing and downright lies that the rhetoric has spawned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration