Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2006, 11:52 AM

8 posts, read 41,921 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My name is Benjamin Noven. I manage a free housing program at the State Treasurer's Office. I was hoping to pass along this information as I feel it is beneficial to those seeking to buy a home in Illinois. I would also appreciate any feedback that you all may have on how to improve the program, website (www.ourownhome.net) (broken link), etc... Any and all feedback is appreciated. The name of the program is "Our Own Home". It is 100% legit, free, and if you have any questions to the legitimacy of the program or how to use it you can call me directly at the information below, or visit the website. Thank you for your help, and hopefully this program can help those out there in need of assistance.

Sincerely,

Benjamin Noven
Our Own Home
Program Manager
Office of the Illinois State Treasurer
www.ourownhome.net
312-814-5964
bnoven@treasurer.state.il.us

Last edited by Our Own Home; 11-12-2006 at 12:06 PM.. Reason: added the name of the office to make sure people know this is legitimate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2006, 12:20 AM

9 posts, read 51,064 times
Hi, I just went to the website and there is basically one page that repeats itself over and over. It does not say anything about what the program is, just a contact number. I would not contact the program without knowing what it entails. You need more info and more user friendly navigation. I had to keep pressing my back button as there was no info on how to move around. Hope this helps. What is the program about anyway?

Old 11-13-2006, 10:29 AM

8 posts, read 41,921 times
Default Thanks!

We are having some trouble as they just revamped all of the website pages for the Treasurer's Office. I have suggested to the webmaster that for the time being she revert to the old site; while being somewhat simple, gets the point of the program out. Thank you for the feedback. I hope we can spread the word about this program to help more Illinois residents with housing. Thanks again.

Sincerely,

Benjamin Noven
Our Own Home
Program Manager
Office of the Illinois State Treasurer
312-814-5964
bnoven@treasurer.state.il.us
www.ourownhome.net

Old 02-24-2010, 12:35 AM

4 posts, read 8,426 times
Mr. Noven,
Could you please tell me more about your program? I went to the site, but it was a broken link. My husband and I are trying to move back to Illinois, from the state of Kentucky. We are Illinois natives, and have lived in Kentucky for one year. We are ready to come home. We are looking into buying a home. We would like more information on your program could you please email either my husband or I at babytuck4@yahoo.com or retucke@yahoo.com
Respectfully
Alisa

Old 02-24-2010, 12:38 PM

720 posts, read 3,006,390 times
Default program

After reading that page I don't have a clue what your program is about. There really isn't even a mention of a program, there's just a paragraph about how you can get friends and family to help you do a renovation and that cheap supplies can be found but you dont give any detais on where to find these cheap suppliers.

As far as the design of the site I'm not too website saavy myself in terms of building a site but that does not look like a site put up by a state government office, it looks like a site some teenager built in powerpoint

My main complaint however would be that there doesnt seem to be any program, just a rambling about diong home improvements.

If anyone wants some real information about government programs to improve your home check your local city and county websites. Most have community development sections where you can find out about programs. Some cities will you give around 5k to buy new energy efficient appliances, insulate your home better, get new windows and doors. Its sometimes a hassle and a wait filling out the paperwork but ther are 100% free and legit programs run by local city and county governments. Most cities and counties also have energy assistance programs on these sites as well. Check otu your local county gov website as well, I know some counties will give you up to 13k to get new windows in your home. They hire the contractors and everything you dont have to find contractors or even lift a finger aside from getting all the paperwork done to get into the program. Another site I recently heard of but don't have experience with is CEDA, google that and you cna find their site.

I sure hope tax dollars are not being spent on this "project" / website, I have no idea what the program is but what I have seen so far is pathetic. Sorry for the harsh criticism but it needs alot of improvement and mroe clarification about what th program is.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:00 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,252,946 times
It is a 3 year old thread. The program is defunct, the then governor is going to jail. .

Old 02-24-2010, 05:03 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,339,930 times
The President's idiot basketball buddy still has links about the program:

Alexi Giannoulias - Illinois State Treasurer

Wonder how much of the $35M guaranteed is not more red ink on Illinois' books.

Some how I am guessing A LOT given the sorts of people that it was supposed to help:
Quote:
“I didn’t have a solid work history on paper so I didn’t think my chances for a mortgage were very good,” Yerly said. “I was pleasantly surprised when the loan officer told me that I would qualify for a mortgage backed by the Illinois State Treasurer’s Office.”

Old 02-25-2010, 08:03 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,252,946 times
Glad you cleared that one up!

Thanks for the link. I thought it was dead. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois