Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 11:15 AM

438 posts, read 1,360,456 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon all

After 3 months of looking, comparing and researching, we have come up with our final 2 selections for potential relocation. Due to family health concerns {aging relatives, new nieces & nephews, that sort} Columbus is at the very top of our list. Thanks in large part to the help and answers we've found on here. There are some remaining questions and these are the ones I remember {sorry, not on my home computer so I don't have the list of hubbys questions handy}

It looks like hubby will be going to Ivy Tech. I know from previous visits to the armory there {which, ironically is where the unit he's attached to is based} that it's on the airport property on what appears to be the north side of town? What are rental prices like in this neighborhood? We'd be looking for a 3 or 4 bedroom 2 bath preferably with a small fenced yard or one we would be allowed to fence ourselves at our own cost. We have a border collie mix that is the canine companion to our 9 year old autistic daughter, so really can't be denied having him with her, but we would prefer to work with pet-friendly landlords. We will be paying about 6-9 months rent in advance on move in and as soon as we are gainfully employed, will be paying monthly as well, until we have either covered the first year and decided to move/buy, or paid through the 2 years it will take hubby to complete his degree.

What are the grade school and middle school for this area? Is it walkable or bikeable to either or both?

All 3 of our girls are fascinated with karate and recently began attending a K-4 karate program at a local dojo. Would there be a reputable facility in the area that caters to/works with toddlers and autstic children?

Ivy Tech itself. I've read mixed reviews of the Columbus facility on Yahoo and elsewhere. I know the building I saw looks relatively new, but that's no indication of the actual 'campus life' etc. What if any details can anyone share on this? Also, do the local businesses actively recruit/preference hire from the school?

Massage Work- I am a relatively new therapist, and would be looking to do on-site massage as much as possible, both corporate and in client homes/offices. Depending on the size of the home we end up with and local zoning laws, i would also be doing massage in my home during the day as needed. Would it be possible to make a decent supplementary income?

Grocery Stores- I read on another thread that there are 3 stores not counting walmart & sam's. Is that still accurate? I was in a Kroger near the airport a couple months ago and was startled to see a Securitas guard standing near the front door? I have only ever seen that in our area a few years ago when the Kroger on Country Club in Indy had it's in store bank robbed 2x. Is this Kroger a high-theft store or ? have the other shopping choices improved over the last thread? What about Sam's? We do a lot of shopping at Sam's because there are 6 of us and plus the dog, and we go through a ton of chicken, fruits, veggies and dairy products.

thanks for reading this. sorry about the length but right now I'm full of questions that are vital to our relocation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 05:12 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
The area around Ivy Tech is in the Parkside Elementary and Northside Middle and North High school districts. Sorry, can't be helpful on the rental information. There is a Kroger and Marsh in the immediate area. Also Aldi close to Kroger and another food store in the Eastbrook plaza. Also another Marsh on the south end of town ... as well as the Wally's and yes, a Sam's Club.

Massage therapist? Give me your card! There are spa/salons around town.

My neighbor works at Ivy Tech she's swamped getting the assembly workers at the new Honda plant certified ... so yea, the local companies are definitely in cahoots with Ivy Tech. Whenever I take the kids over there to gawk at the art, we always see company meetings going on ... and yes, I walk and/or bike to and from school and to and from Ivy Tech. It's all accessible via our People Trail.

Welcome welcome welcome. I wish I could help with the rental situation, maybe you could get a sunday paper. The website is Denied:1up! Software (). There are a few dojos in town. Ko's, Guardian and Chinsun. I have friends who go to Ko's as well as Chinsun, they all like it.

Old 09-13-2008, 10:06 AM

thank you so much! When we get moved, or while I'm down there scouting I'll definitely drop you off a gift certificate!

Old 09-13-2008, 11:10 AM

Just tell Mayor Armstrong about this awesomely cool as heck moderator at city-data

Glad to help.

I only request gift certificates from MikiJayne!

Old 09-13-2008, 09:29 PM

91 posts, read 316,381 times
mkat321,
Hello there, I was reading your post about renting. It is hard to find rentals in this area up by the airport, but there are a few homes that are for sale. They have been for sale for a while you may want to call the company that have them listed and see if they would be willing to rent for a while. Plus, there are a few homes for sale by owner that could possibly rent. You never know until you ask.
You will love Columbus. Great place to live. I live up by the airport myself and love the area. Great view of the fireworks during July 4th.
Good Luck!!!!
JulieL

Old 09-14-2008, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieL View Post
mkat321,
Hello there, I was reading your post about renting. It is hard to find rentals in this area up by the airport, but there are a few homes that are for sale. They have been for sale for a while you may want to call the company that have them listed and see if they would be willing to rent for a while. Plus, there are a few homes for sale by owner that could possibly rent. You never know until you ask.
You will love Columbus. Great place to live. I live up by the airport myself and love the area. Great view of the fireworks during July 4th.
Good Luck!!!!
JulieL
uh oh, we may be neighbors.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:29 PM

*giggles*

How walkable/bikeable is the airport area? I know walkscore gives it a car-dependent rating, but it does the same for my current city and I know it's not totally walkable, but I can get to and from kroger or a couple mini mart type gas stations for fill in items, and it's safe for general walking/biking 9 months out of the year.

I don't have my heart set on the airport area, but I would like somewhere 'in-town' preferably within the Parkside area as it seems to be the more highly rated of the two blue ribbon schools, but from what I'm understanding, just about any of the in-town district schools are full of autism-trained staff and have use of staff & services to work with my oldest. She will be going into fifth grade when we move, so of course a top quality middle school is also a must.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:37 AM

Really? I bike more than I drive ... those people don't know what they are talking about! I bike downtown at least once a week from my house. I see bikers all over the place, going to Kroger, etc.

btw, Parkside is k-6.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:38 PM

Sweet!

You know, after a long talk with hubby yesterday, reading & copy & pasting these threads piece by piece into Myspace IM, the only things both of us are worried about right now as far as the move to Columbus are jobs and being able to find a landlord willing to work with us with our credit scores. We have an awesome 3 year rental history at our current address, so we're hoping that helps the rental part at least. {we'd be looking to buy if it weren't for the credit scores, that's how sure we are of moving}

Then there's the jobs thing. We'll have enough in the bank to pay rent, basic bills, my student loan and groceries for about 6-9 months depending on how much we end up paying in rent. And I have a couple leads on work at home call center jobs that are actually legit {a friend I've known practically my whole life works for one, the military job source site listed the other one} and a couple of moms who live near Columbus said they've made a pretty tidy sum at an arts & crafts market in Columbus this summer. I'm also hoping to build my massage business but with the economy I'm not holding out much hope there...

Old 09-16-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkat321 View Post
Sweet!

You know, after a long talk with hubby yesterday, reading & copy & pasting these threads piece by piece into Myspace IM, the only things both of us are worried about right now as far as the move to Columbus are jobs and being able to find a landlord willing to work with us with our credit scores. We have an awesome 3 year rental history at our current address, so we're hoping that helps the rental part at least. {we'd be looking to buy if it weren't for the credit scores, that's how sure we are of moving}

Then there's the jobs thing. We'll have enough in the bank to pay rent, basic bills, my student loan and groceries for about 6-9 months depending on how much we end up paying in rent. And I have a couple leads on work at home call center jobs that are actually legit {a friend I've known practically my whole life works for one, the military job source site listed the other one} and a couple of moms who live near Columbus said they've made a pretty tidy sum at an arts & crafts market in Columbus this summer. I'm also hoping to build my massage business but with the economy I'm not holding out much hope there...

Well, it sounds like you are now in the process of trying to make this work ... please keep us posted ok?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
View detailed profiles of: