Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2011, 05:19 PM

3 posts, read 5,920 times

Advertisements

I believe Indiana has a problem with the misuse of new and expectant mothers parking spaces. Due to people taking advantage of them most stores have removed them.
My question is, how can I go about starting a petition to get them back. Not only to return them but to enforce the parking like they do for handicapped spots. I have ideas, just not sure who to take them to, or how to go about it.
Any ideas on the subject would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 05:50 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,501,739 times
I believe those were just a "convenience" provided by the retail outlet and not an enforceable law the way the handicapped spaces are, so I doubt there is much you can do to petition to get them back. Too bad when people abuse things that are provided and ruin it for others.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:58 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,478,655 times
I have lived here 35 years and dont remember ever seeing such a marked space. Would seem you should just petition for a temporary handicapped parking tag for such situations.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:13 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,114,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
I believe those were just a "convenience" provided by the retail outlet and not an enforceable law the way the handicapped spaces are, so I doubt there is much you can do to petition to get them back. Too bad when people abuse things that are provided and ruin it for others.
Yep. "Pregnant" is not considered a Protected Class under the law. It's a choice you made. Plus walking is probably good for you .

If you have serious health complications related to pregnancy/childbirth then do as the poster above suggested and ask your MD for a temp handicapped parking tag.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:21 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,534,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
I have lived here 35 years and dont remember ever seeing such a marked space. Would seem you should just petition for a temporary handicapped parking tag for such situations.
I've seen them at the Marsh at 146th/SR 37 and a few other places of which I cannot think right now.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:35 AM

They of course have them at Babys R Us and also Some schnucks. They are abused, a lot! My main question was where to take the issue into, if anyone knows. I know it's very controversal for most people so I wont get into if they are needed or not. Just hoping for some direction.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:14 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,534,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by May2Love View Post
They of course have them at Babys R Us and also Some schnucks. They are abused, a lot! My main question was where to take the issue into, if anyone knows. I know it's very controversal for most people so I wont get into if they are needed or not. Just hoping for some direction.
As others have pointed out, pregnancy is not a protected status under civil rights statutes. So, I would address your concerns with store management as it would ultimately be a company decision.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:33 PM

Thank you. Thats what I need to know :-)

Old 04-12-2011, 04:40 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,052,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by May2Love View Post

They are abused because it's not an enforceable law. Being handicapped is not a choice but being pregnant is. Simple thing would be to go to your doctor and ask for a temporary handicap tag.

Myself, I think being pregnant should be a handicap after watching my wife walk around for 9 months with both our kids.

busta

Old 04-13-2011, 07:45 PM

3 posts, read 4,655 times
When they found out that the Welfare Moms (the ones that could afford a car) realized that they could do better elsewhere, it wasn't worth replacing the signs at the next paving session. Anywhere that makes that distinction with an expectation of a value-added return, in this place and many other American locations, are only selling lottery tickets, discount cigarettes or lite beer.

"These are not the droids you are looking for..." Find a better planet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana