Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2009, 09:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,118 times

Advertisements

I applied for a job position located in Dunkirk In. I need to know what would be a good city to live in that's close to Dunkirk? I am married and middle class african-american.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 10:23 PM

797 posts, read 2,338,691 times
There are two Dunkirk's that come up when I search the map and both are barely even a dot on the map. The first is just northeast of Muncie, which would be the largest city close to that town. Muncie is a good sized town and has a fairly significant portion of the population in the college age group due to Ball State.

The other Dunkirk almost seems to be more of a neighborhood on the west side of Logansport, which has around 20,000 people. The next largest city near this one is Kokomo which has about 45,000 people and is about 40 minutes away.

Hope that helps some.

Old 11-13-2009, 01:51 PM

625 posts, read 1,811,193 times
The one he is talking about, I am assuming, is the one in Jay and Blackford counties. The closest bigger cities would be Muncie, IN (home to Ball State Univ.) and then Marion, Indiana (around 30,000 ppl). Probably the closest of all would be Portland, IN. But this is a smaller town, probably around 8-10k.

If I were in your position, I would stay closer to Muncie. BUT, this particular area (East-Central Indiana), is known to be pretty rural. Honestly, the biggest city (Muncie) is only about 55 thousand people.

Where are you moving from? Do you have any more questions?

As far as being African-American, you will find that this area typically does not have that many African Americans at all compared to other places. However, with that being said you will not be the only African American! You will find Indiana very affordable as well, especially if you are already middle class. Good luck!

Old 05-28-2012, 11:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,006 times
Default Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdr18 View Post
The one he is talking about, I am assuming, is the one in Jay and Blackford counties. The closest bigger cities would be Muncie, IN (home to Ball State Univ.) and then Marion, Indiana (around 30,000 ppl). Probably the closest of all would be Portland, IN. But this is a smaller town, probably around 8-10k.

If I were in your position, I would stay closer to Muncie. BUT, this particular area (East-Central Indiana), is known to be pretty rural. Honestly, the biggest city (Muncie) is only about 55 thousand people.

Where are you moving from? Do you have any more questions?

As far as being African-American, you will find that this area typically does not have that many African Americans at all compared to other places. However, with that being said you will not be the only African American! You will find Indiana very affordable as well, especially if you are already middle class. Good luck!
You seem like a voice of authority and information! I have been digging and digging for information about my mother (she passed away in 2004). She was taken from her mother's home (she is believed to be an illegitimate child of her mother's lover - not the man she was married to) in the early 1930's while her mother was living in Dunkirk. I believe my mom was born there and went to elementary/catholic school there. Where can I find the records the state maintains on her? She was never adopted and fostered out several times - finishing high school in Richmond. When she was with foster families she was made to use their surname - added confusion!! Other than finding her senior yearbook (with her middle name misspelled and surname that of a foster family) I have come up against brick wall after brick wall.
Any tips or info you might have will be helpful!
Heather Dingley

Old 05-29-2012, 04:44 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,743,229 times
Heather, I subscribe to ancestry.com. If you want, I can search on that website for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana