Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 04:10 PM

81 posts, read 81,688 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Illinois in the 60s but was transplanted to SoCal when I was eight. As I approach my 60s, I'd like to move my family to an area with better ideals and opportunity. My sons are still young and haven't started their careers yet so the timing is pretty good. I also have a sister in Chicago, whom we all adore.

The Carmel/Fisher area a great livability score of 87, a number 16 points HIGHER than where we live now (Upland, CA). That's a huge difference! Given the reports that Indiana can have intense Summer heat & humidity and grey overcast Winters, why does it score so well? I know the community is clean, has good schools, affordable housing and low crime, but if the weather can be that oppressive, what makes it so livable when you're forced indoors a lot? Do you just get used it?

Believe me, I WANT to move there! If I've overstated the climate please enlightened me. I just want my family to live in a better setting.

Thanks

Last edited by Yac; 11-12-2020 at 03:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 04:18 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,342,412 times
Because climate isn't everything. You get used to it.

Old 06-28-2018, 05:11 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times
Less than 30 inches of snow per year is pretty reasonable, we get over 80 inches where I'm at. Climate is actually very good in central Indiana compared with a lot of places.

Old 06-28-2018, 06:04 PM

81 posts, read 81,688 times
Thanks for that... I agree, the snowfall is tolerable. Where I live, we get a fair amount of sun (with cold air) during December and January. If you know, does the sun come out during the Winter in Central Indiana, or is it just constantly overcast for months at a time?

Old 06-28-2018, 06:29 PM

1,347 posts, read 945,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Because climate isn't everything. You get used to it.

This, I would say. I'm not an outdoors person, even when it's nice, so this area suits me well.

I'm also a little baffled at all the comments I read on this forum lamenting the lack of sunshine here. No it's not Florida or California, but we certainly have more than enough sun IMO (I prefer overcast/clouds).

Old 06-28-2018, 06:38 PM

1,449 posts, read 1,147,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwb View Post
Believe me, I WANT to move there! If I've overstated the climate please enlightened me. I just want my family to live in a better setting.
You sound just like us! Thanks for asking...I've been wondering about this, too.

Old 06-28-2018, 08:35 PM

625 posts, read 1,810,617 times
The reason Carmel/Fishers is so nice is it is essentially all brand new. Because of this, every development is well planned out and therefore everything is cohesive, unlike many cities where many of their practices are from hundreds of years ago. Because it is essentially a suburb of Indianapolis, where jobs are plentiful, there is a high demand to live here, especially with the rich and elite. You don't have to be rich though, but there is plenty of both lifestyles.

The weather isn't terrible, it's tolerable. It's not great, it's not scenic. It's just okay.

While there are plenty of overcast days in the winter, there are plenty of sunny days as well. Not like what you're used to, but you get used to it. You will see the sun in the winter, contrary to popular belief.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:20 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwb View Post
Thanks for that... I agree, the snowfall is tolerable. Where I live, we get a fair amount of sun (with cold air) during December and January. If you know, does the sun come out during the Winter in Central Indiana, or is it just constantly overcast for months at a time?
Northern Indiana is part of the lake effect band and receives a lot more overcast and dreary days than the rest of the state. The lake effect band doesn't extend much farther south than Plymouth.

Central Indiana receives a decent amount of sunshine, even in the winter months.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:37 PM

876 posts, read 813,124 times
I spent 20 years in the state, but left partially because of the weather. Having grown up along the west coast, I could not stand the summer days when it was above 80-90° with high humidity. In the fall I was miserable because of a severe ragweed allergy. Winters really aren't that bad in central Indiana in my opinion. There are occasional cold snaps where the temps drop below 0° F. But you can have a lot of days in the 50's and 60's as well. You will have the occasional winter storm that can dump several inches of wet snow. People who grew up in west coast states that haven't spend an entire summer east of the Rockies are in for a rude awakening when it comes to humidity.

On the plus side Hamilton county is known for having several high income zip codes. There are a lot of pro athletes, business bigwigs, and various rich people who have large acreage estates or McMansions in Carmel, Fishers and unincorporated areas.

It is really a patchwork quilt of housing developments and shopping centers that keep sprouting from former corn fields.

There is some natural beauty to be found in Brown County state park, and along the Ohio River which are both day trips from Indianapolis.

Because there is so much inexpensive land to develop home prices are low. Unemployment is relatively low and there is a good ratio of median income vs cost of living.

Last edited by A1eutian; 06-28-2018 at 10:14 PM..

Old 06-29-2018, 06:20 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,266,803 times
I'm not sure where you're getting that the weather is oppressive here. Our hottest average high is 85 in July and the coldest average high is 35 in January. Of course we can have days in the 90s. And yes the humidity can get high. But it's nothing like the southeast, especially because it usually doesn't last more than a few days and then you get a break. We rarely ever top 100. 2012 was the first time we hit 100 since 1988. Central Indiana seems to really be in a great location in the winter. We don't get a lot of big snowstorms and much of the big ice storms pass to the south. Of course we can get snowstorms and we can get ice storms, but we only average 23 inches of snow per year. That's not much when just 100 miles north in the lake effect snow belt they get on average more snow than we've ever had in an entire year. Yes, winters can have days at a time with overcast skies. One thing that helps make people think we don't get much sun in the winter is that sunrise isn't until close to 8AM and sunset is around 5:15PM. So many people are at work before the sun comes up and its gone down when they head home.

Long story short, there are a LOT more days that you can comfortably be outside than there are days you are forced inside from the heat and cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis