Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 12:17 AM

12 posts, read 17,477 times

Advertisements

Currently thinking of moving to Indiana from Louisiana and looking for advice. Was just put on VA pension while they finish the process of disability and they suggested that I move closer to family. Issue is, they live in Illinois and I busted my butt to get out of that state. So I was looking at probably moving close to the Indiana border with Illinois pretty much parallel with Kankakee as a 45 minute trip would get me to the VA clinic there and I'll be roughly 50-70 minutes from family members. Pretty much close enough to make it a decently easy trip but far enough that I still have my space.

Pretty much, needs are pretty simple. A decent size house, 1000sq ft; internet access (a must nowadays it seems,) possibly near a community college (possibly go back to school when stabilized,) and access to fishing. Right now, funds are tight due to being on pension (1,100 a month,) but saw some places in the 40-60k range that would have payments that are less then the rent I'm currently paying now. But Zillow is too limited on houses it displays for areas as it seems that the realtors are only desperate to list a property if it's been on the market for awhile. Looked at some places summeva resorts and in the general area but only vacant land and homes that may not pass VA inspection are showing.

Still got a couple months till I get done with current treatments, so basically trying to look and and get an idea of where to focus my search and any better real estate resources there may be. BTW, was born and grew up in Illinois and it is still an option. Just not one high on the list as they seem bound and determined to mess it up even more and I don't want to make a long term decision only to get backstabbed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2019, 03:51 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,126,453 times
Is Lafayette, Indiana too far for you?

Old 03-08-2019, 06:31 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,265,730 times
This one is tough. There is very little on the Indiana side of the state line from Kankakee other than tiny towns. The only towns that are a bit bigger are Lowell and Rennselaer. I don't know much about either other than Rennselaer has St. Joseph's College but it isn't really a community college. Lafayette is a good hour and a half or so from Kankakee but would be a good choice if you don't have to make the drive more than once a week or don't mind that long drive. Crown Point or St John are good towns with both about an hour or so from Kankakee. Crown Point would get you closer to the Ivy Tech Community College in Valparaiso. Wish I could help more but that is an area in Indiana of really nothing but little towns.

Old 03-08-2019, 08:20 AM

174 posts, read 243,731 times
There is a VA Hospital in Danville, IL also. Danville is really close to the border with Indiana as well. My grandfather preferred going there to driving to the VA in downtown Indianapolis just because he didn't like the Indy traffic.

You could look at Crawfordsville, IN or Lafayette, IN as someone mentioned. This puts you about 45-1 hour from the VA in Danville and from the VA in Indy. This also puts you about 2 hours from Chicago. Don't know if that's too far from family.

Both Crawfordsville and Lafeyette have colleges in their community. Homes will be cheaper in the Crawfordsville area, but there will be more housing available in the Lafayette area. Just realize with Purdue in Lafayette vs Wabash College (small all male college) Lafayette will be way busier, especially with younger students. That may or may not be a detriment in your eyes.

Ivy Tech Community College has branches in both places if you are looking to continue education.

Old 03-08-2019, 08:59 AM

Understood, figured it would be tough. Lafayette would be a little too far for my preferences as parents live just outside Kankakee and the driving issue would be less for them in case of an emergency as it would be for me. As to going back to school, it would be nice but not as much of a priority as it just something that may not happen. If it does, may be able to go with online schooling to attend and not physically need to drive there. But that issue is in the future that I cannot say would happen. Was doing some searching last night, was looking at Kentland, Roselawn, Lowell, and other little towns in the area. Have to agree, not too much to select from for sizable towns but not really a priority on size as getting decent internet would be a major plus for me. One of the issues I have is agrophobia with panic disorder borderline anthrophobia so I'm not too comfy around too many people so I tend to stay away from crowds and crowded areas. So small towns are alright with me. Considering I live in a large city right now, I'm stuck inside the majority of the day considering I live near downtown and there are always people about. Already noticed that fishing would be a harder item to find as well as any decent size lake is surrounded by homes and not too familiar with the rivers on the Indiana side of the border. Grew up along the Iriqouis and Kankakee rivers when I was younger but never traveled further east then Aroma Park (back then a very small town) during that time frame.

Old 03-08-2019, 11:30 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,204,425 times
Lowell or Cedar Lake would be good for you location wise. Exurban, not crowded. But your budget is unrealistic for those areas. If you found anything in that range under 60k for that square footage I would be surprised if it isn’t an absolute dump. Is 100k really too expensive?

You might find something in the smaller towns around there, but you’d likely be in a depressed area with no amenities nearby. You will get what you pay for.

Old 03-09-2019, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Lowell or Cedar Lake would be good for you location wise. Exurban, not crowded. But your budget is unrealistic for those areas. If you found anything in that range under 60k for that square footage I would be surprised if it isn’t an absolute dump. Is 100k really too expensive?

You might find something in the smaller towns around there, but you’d likely be in a depressed area with no amenities nearby. You will get what you pay for.

It would be reachable but would cut into the available funds. I'm in limbo until the VA approves disability so I'm limited to pension payments which are roughly 1.1k a month. So trying to maintain a "buffer" as I don't know how long I'll be stuck in this situation. Can put a decent down payment down for a house but trying to keep monthly payments + property taxes (divided by 12 so I can set it aside)+ insurance $500 or less. 50-60k homes would come in roughly 350 a month (depending on the property taxes and insurance) + utilities would give a decent monthly buffer a month as I'm not a party animal and having to go out all the time.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...2d1_89sjr_sse/

Are two of the examples I looked at. Lol, I hate being limited in choices but it's the reality I have to live in right now.

Last edited by Juiced2014; 03-09-2019 at 03:26 AM.. Reason: Adding info

Old 03-09-2019, 10:53 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,740,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post

I agree.

Old 03-09-2019, 05:08 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,204,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced2014 View Post
It would be reachable but would cut into the available funds. I'm in limbo until the VA approves disability so I'm limited to pension payments which are roughly 1.1k a month. So trying to maintain a "buffer" as I don't know how long I'll be stuck in this situation. Can put a decent down payment down for a house but trying to keep monthly payments + property taxes (divided by 12 so I can set it aside)+ insurance $500 or less. 50-60k homes would come in roughly 350 a month (depending on the property taxes and insurance) + utilities would give a decent monthly buffer a month as I'm not a party animal and having to go out all the time.

Are two of the examples I looked at. Lol, I hate being limited in choices but it's the reality I have to live in right now.
I suggested Lowell/Cedar Lake because they are close to Kankakee and also because you could easily access Ivy Tech Community College in Crown Point. They’re also closer to major stores/amenities in Crown Point/Merillville while still retaining that bucolic Indiana charm. I’m finding a few houses in your price range but not seeing much above 800 sqft. 2br/1ba for the most part. Shelby IN looks to be a bit cheaper and is right next to Lowell.

I don’t have a problem with the Kentland area, I’ve driven through many times and I think it’s a nice little town. But it just feels so isolated - though that may be what you’re looking for. And you would not be able to attend a community college without a significant commute, which would lead to costs I’m sure you would rather avoid. But - if that is something that may not be in the cards, maybe it’s not an important factor.

Old 03-10-2019, 10:45 AM

Going back to school is a factor that pretty much takes a back seat to everything else at the moment. Where I live now, I guess I got spoiled by the home prices for the area. I may have to look at raising the rate to 100k for a decent place. Size isn't too much of a factor for me as it will be me, myself, and I but would be nice as I'd like to have a separate "office" room to keep my computer setup in. Going to keep an eye out for the area and ty for looking with me. May end of going Kentland, but I'll pretty much keep looking around the area until the day I move. Parents said they know of several decent size properties in their area for decent prices, but not too keen about moving into Illinois right now. Not too worried about income taxes as non-retirement pay is tax free, but I'm looking at property taxes, service fees, fuel taxes, as well as everything else they can clip a fee onto. Then the minimum wage deal, which is a debatable topic, may just add more problems on top of everything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana