Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 12:16 PM

5 posts, read 7,624 times

Advertisements

I'm from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and my husband is from Indianapolis. We currently live in Boulder, CO and are feeling that it's time for our kids (ages 5, 3, and 1) to be closer to grandparents and cousins. We're seriously considering a move to Indianapolis but even though my husband grew up in Indy, he really knows very little about the city and its suburbs.

We'll be in Indianapolis in August to scope out different areas -- here are a few things that we're looking for:

1. Less than $250,000.
2. Larger lot (a half acre or larger). What I had in mind were houses that were set back from the road a bit that don't have the garage right in front.
3. An area within biking distance (maybe a few miles) of a town center, not so much strip malls, that has a library and parks.
3. Within 30 minutes of downtown Indianapolis.
4. Schools are also a consideration and any input regarding that is also appreciated!

One spot we'll be checking out is near Beech Grove -- there are several homes in that area on larger lots but still very close to shopping, the library, etc. Just wondering if there are other areas that sound like they might be a good fit that we should definitely check out.
Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 03:09 PM

100 posts, read 238,261 times
Beech Grove is trashy, stay outside the belt. I recommend Carmel, Zionsville, Fishers, and maaaybe Brownsburg. This is really all everyone will suggest, these four places.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:43 PM

17,765 posts, read 39,858,977 times
don't let Data scare you. Feel free to check out Beech Grove for youselves. You may also want to check out New Palestine or areas in Hancock County.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:44 PM

Thank you so much for the info. My impression of Beech Grove was that it may not be considered the most desirable place to relocate but I'm sure we'll still check it out because it's totally up my alley -- cute little downtown with a nice park nearby.

Thanks for suggesting New Palastine, it wasn't even on our radar. I think I figured it was too far from Indianapolis. Does New Palastine feel like a small town or is it more of a bedroom community to Indianapolis. How's the traffic heading towards Indianapolis during rush hour?

Thanks again for the suggestions!

Old 07-19-2010, 08:38 AM

436 posts, read 957,057 times
There is nothing cute about Beech Grove. Nothing. I can't put "cute" and "Beech Grove" anywhere near each other. At one end of BG is the apocalyptic-looking Amtrak barn which gets especially depressing when Winter comes. Dear God, is Beech Grove deadly dull, and not a little trashy. They have that 25mph zone on the main street that the cops patrol with vigor, hiding wherever they can, hoping to get someone going by at 26. It's lower-middle class, at best. It's cleaner than a lot of areas in Indy, but that's damning with faint praise. It's no Zionsville, which is Indy's best area and the only thing we have that is comparable to the nice neighborhoods of other cities. Carmel is getting better.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:47 PM

oh stop it smoke! seriously.

New Pal is definitely a bedroom community!

Old 07-19-2010, 07:50 PM

436 posts, read 957,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
oh stop it smoke! seriously.

New Pal is definitely a bedroom community!
Don't know New Pal. Never said anything about it. I know it's way out there, and I know people from there. They don't sing its praises.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:40 PM

All right, I'm feeling like I'm getting a good of idea of where to spend some time looking when we're out in August. Between Zionsville, New Palestine, and Carmel, is there one area that seems to attract more families with young kids?

Thanks!

Old 07-20-2010, 08:00 AM

all three you listed are kid friendly.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:03 AM

369 posts, read 685,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mactoo2 View Post
Thank you so much for the info. My impression of Beech Grove was that it may not be considered the most desirable place to relocate but I'm sure we'll still check it out because it's totally up my alley -- cute little downtown with a nice park nearby.

Thanks for suggesting New Palastine, it wasn't even on our radar. I think I figured it was too far from Indianapolis. Does New Palastine feel like a small town or is it more of a bedroom community to Indianapolis. How's the traffic heading towards Indianapolis during rush hour?
As far as Beech Grove, I would take a pass. They have some nice areas, but some white trash areas as well. They also are close to some Section 8 complexes, but technically they are outside the city limits. As far as their parks, I would seriously spend some time in them. There is one park, just south of Main St./St. Francis Hospital (the big building in the city). I have went to different functions there over many years. Beech Grove is having some financial issues, as are most cities and towns. They have neglected this park. Sure, there is a newer play thing for kids, but you would find a better play set at most elementary schools. For the last two years, they had one entrance closed due to a bridge issue, they are now fixing that bridge. The bridge walkway over the drainage ditch/creek is in need of repair.

New Palestine is a nice area. It is the only area in Hancock Co. that is trying to keep the cheaper vinyl village homes from being built. So far they have been successful, and most of the vinyl homes are a little more upscale than what they have in other parts of the county. However, unless you live in town, or close by (there are some very nice neighborhoods just north of the train tracks), forget about bicycling. Right now, the area is very nice, and should likely stay so. Some of the nicer housing additions are a little over a mile from the town, another higher end subdivision is a little over two miles down US 52 (two miles closer to Indy). There are many older housing additions, with solid built homes on decent sized lots. They may or may not need updating, but with your price limit, you have a lot to choose from.

The only downside is shopping/eating out. The east side of Indy has a lot to offer with eating, most chains, a few good mom and pop places. However, the upper level chain restaurants will either be in Greenwood (south of Indy), Hamilton County/Northern Indy-Marion County, or downtown Indy. Retail shopping is bad for clothing, good for everything else. You have a Best Buy, a Dick's Sporting Goods, HH Gregg (an electronics store), Sears, K-Mart, Wal-mart, Meijer, Sam's Club, and Kroger. For more upper end shopping, you will want to go to the places mentioned above. It is somewhat of a wash: You pay less for housing, upwards of $30-$50K less, for a home, but if you need to buy a new wardrobe every season, you are going to be driving. If you want things to do outside of going to a park/school playground/eating at your typical food places, you are going to have to drive. It isn't bad at all. I grew up in the area and still live in the area. I am a homebody and I don't have any desire to spend thousands a year on fancy eating and shopping.

Last edited by Ravekid; 07-20-2010 at 08:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis