Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 05:34 PM

4 posts, read 21,414 times

Advertisements

Okay..so I just got hired for a job and will need to move there in 3 weeks. I have only been to Indy a few times (and then to touristy places) and so i need some advice.

My job is in Carmel. I need to find an apartment less then 600 dollars (less then 500 if possible)....just something cheap hehe. But I also NEEEEED for it to be in a pretty safe place as i am a single woman moving there alone.

Does anyone have any suggestions for an apartment complex that I should check out. A couple i have looked at (online) is Pickwick Farms and Twin Lakes Apartments....does anyone know what those complexes are like? are they relatively safe? are they nasty?...I'll take any advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 10:00 PM

Also would like to know about Turtle Creek ... that is i think what i'm most interested in now

Old 07-22-2009, 06:31 AM

891 posts, read 2,450,102 times
I think both Pickwick Farms and Twin Lakes are nasty. Not sure if I would say either is unsafe. Biut the quality of people living there isn't good.

I actually live in an apartment complex really close to Twin Lakes and that place seems just bad.

If I were you I would look into Lakes of Carmel - that is better than Twin Lakes.

Also look at:
Governor Square,
Main Street on the Monon.

You really need to come here and take a look for yourself and always keep in mind you get what you pay for, if something is less money that there is a good reason for it. In carmel that probably means they are old and rundown.

There really aren't any bad or unsafe neighborhoods in Carmel, but some of the apt. complexes are not so good

I don't know too much about Turtle Creek. But that isn't in Carmel

Old 07-22-2009, 07:09 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,284,870 times
I used to live at Pickwick Place off Ditch Road (across from Pickwick Farms, a place I would never consider living). It is under new management, so maybe it is not horrible anymore.

Story time: When I lived at Pickwick, they were terrible at fixing maintenence issues. In the time I lived there (only a year), by dishwasher srpung a leak while I was at work flooding my apartment; my shower leaked (they would not reapair it, only stop the leaking for a week until I would have to call them again to stop the leak), and the air conditioning did not function properly (this was never fixed).

Turns out, the manager was not making the repairs on apartments so he could get a bigger bonus. He has since been fired. So maybe it is not terrible anymore, but I have my doubts.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:37 PM

1,297 posts, read 4,769,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I used to live at Pickwick Place off Ditch Road (across from Pickwick Farms, a place I would never consider living). It is under new management, so maybe it is not horrible anymore.

Story time: When I lived at Pickwick, they were terrible at fixing maintenence issues. In the time I lived there (only a year), by dishwasher srpung a leak while I was at work flooding my apartment; my shower leaked (they would not reapair it, only stop the leaking for a week until I would have to call them again to stop the leak), and the air conditioning did not function properly (this was never fixed).

Turns out, the manager was not making the repairs on apartments so he could get a bigger bonus. He has since been fired. So maybe it is not terrible anymore, but I have my doubts.
I was a single white male living at Pickwick Farms from 1999 thru 2001 untill I bought a house. I loved living there except no washers and dryers in apts. but free cable. I paid 499/mo plus utilities and had no trouble with maint., or management. I guess to each his own..

Old 08-03-2009, 11:07 PM

Okay let me rephrase my question....i dont need to actually live in carmel. I know its a wealthy place and i cannot afford anything in the area...i'm looking in surrounding areas....i just need suggestions of cheap apartments that i can take my dog outside to potty at night without being afraid.

Old 05-12-2012, 02:08 PM

1 posts, read 5,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BU191433 View Post
I think both Pickwick Farms and Twin Lakes are nasty. Not sure if I would say either is unsafe. Biut the quality of people living there isn't good.

I actually live in an apartment complex really close to Twin Lakes and that place seems just bad.

If I were you I would look into Lakes of Carmel - that is better than Twin Lakes.

Also look at:
Governor Square,
Main Street on the Monon.

You really need to come here and take a look for yourself and always keep in mind you get what you pay for, if something is less money that there is a good reason for it. In carmel that probably means they are old and rundown.

There really aren't any bad or unsafe neighborhoods in Carmel, but some of the apt. complexes are not so good

I don't know too much about Turtle Creek. But that isn't in Carmel
Sorry if I'm doing this incorrectly, I'm new to the site. I see you mention that Main Street on the Monon is worth looking into, is this area safe. I am relocating to Indy very soon and need a safe place to stay, my girlfriend will be walking our dog while I'm at work. Any other information about this or other apartment complexes in that area would be helpful.

Old 05-12-2012, 05:28 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,477,418 times
Main Street on the Monon is in a terrific spot. Quiet but near two big commuting corridors. Right in Carmel itself. Surrounded by suburbs, shopping, downtown Carmel, etc. If your job is in Carmel, it would be a good choice.

Check out Northview Apartments on 86th just off Westfield. Walking distance to all kinds of shopping and sidewalks for miles going east or west. Quiet area next to woods and a very small shopping center (I got there for a quilting shop). Across the street from North Central High School. Small choice apartment complex. Down the street a couple of blocks are three grocery stores, Whole Foods, Target, Library, two drug stores, goodwill, and on and on. The Monon Trail can be accessed about 2 blocks away and the Jordan YMCA is a 4-5 long block walk away. Easy to get to Carmel with 4 different roads leading north (Westfield, Meridian, College and Keystone). I would pay a little more for the convenience of being here if the other choices require you to get in a car every time.

ps: As a single woman, I would choose a studio in a great location over a one bedroom in a problematic location. Remembering that you can change in a year when the lease is up.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:43 PM

3,405 posts, read 3,449,324 times
Carmel center apts are nice too. What is your budget?

Old 05-13-2012, 06:56 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,342,412 times
Our new college grad D recently looked at apartments in Carmel. Since her job is in Carmel she stuck to Carmel as there were plenty of choices there. We visited each of the following or drove through. She wanted to stay as close to $700-750/month as possible.

She looked at Main St. on the Monon. The location was fine, but the apartments were nothing special. Also the complex is not actually on Main St but off a road a block or so away from the apartment office. Use the aerial view of google maps to see what I mean. You also drive through another complex or group of condos to get to the apartments. These seemed less well maintained.

Carmel Landing-We didn't actually get to see an apartment, despite an appointment, because D didn't have her government issued ID(driver's license) with her the day we looked. Some of the places looked a bit trashy on the patios with bikes and kids' toys. There were better options for D's needs.

Lakes of Carmel-Nice location for D, but the fireplace in the living room, while nice, made the space a bit awkward for furniture. Includes a Washer/Dryer though. Seemed really safe and well maintained. One of her top choices.

Twin Lakes--Cheap and seemed safe. We only drove through here as they didn't have anything available for her to see.

Governor Square--There were better options for the same amount of money or less. Also was not as updated as some places if I recall correctly.

Park Lane--we only drove through. Location is actually better than Main St. on the Monon, but there is really no green space. As I recall it was just a big asphalt parking lot with apartments and a pool.

Woodland Springs Manor--a bit older. This was the largest one bedroom apartment she saw-over 800 square feet. These apartments didn't have a washer/dryer in the unit, but did have one for every 4 or so apartments. Older, but did have some neat features and the water was included in the rent. Her decision came down to this place and another. The other got back to her faster.

Providence at Old Meridian--nice, newer, D didn't like the vibe here as the rental agent that day was pretty unprofessional and less than helpful. It does cater to a younger crowd which D liked, but it wasn't worth it to her.

Carmel Woods-This is the complex she chose. Washer/Dryer in Unit, trail in complex that connects to the Monon, also the second largest she saw. Close to Clay Terrace shopping center. Seemed to be a mix of families and singles or younger professionals.

We were warned by people here to steer clear of Mohawk Hills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis