Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2018, 10:31 AM

1 posts, read 480 times

Advertisements

I moved to Indy in Dec 2017, I moved into an apartment complex on the west side. I have been having issues and need some advice. Here I am going to give a few details regarding the issues.
When we signed the contract, it said they do not charge for water, however the if in the event that units were individually metered we would be responsible for water. A few days after I moved in there was no hot water, We called maintenance to come out and fix it, they came the following day. On Christmas weekend we were without water (3 days) due to a "busted pipe". In Feb we received a notice that maintenance would come to inspect. They actually came to install an individual water meter. In March we received a notice that beginning in April we will receive a prorated bill for water usage. I never got a bill so when I went to pay my May Rent, the leasing agent told me that they could not accept the rent because the water bill was due!!! I told them I hadn't received a bill. She was billing me for 32.xx for 12 days!!! That is insane! I called the water billing company to confirm to total and it was actually 27.xx. Apparently the landlord was charging a 5.00 set up fee. Ok fine! I paid it. Here we are in June and have not received a bill from the water billing company. I called the water billing company again and they said the bill is only $4.xx. I was a bit confused I figured maybe they didn't connect the meter correctly. On Sunday our hot water stopped working again, So i contacted the office yesterday. I had to call them 5 times, left messages and nothing. I contacted the leasing agent Via Facebook since that was where our original conversations started and she blocked me. I had to write up a letter informed her I was trying to reach her. I made a copy for me and one was given to her. A few hours later she calls. Tells me I have to pay a the rent, late fee, and water bill and she will send someone out to check the hot water. Maintenance comes to check the water and leaves a letter from office saying that we are "intentionally" turning off the hot water to avoid being charged water usage. And they are charging two months of service at $60, total of $120 just in water!!! My understanding is that water meters measure ALL water, not just hot water? Also I have small children, why in the world would I not need hot water! The letter also states that this is the third time they come out to turn the hot water back on. That is a complete lie! The first time they came out was months prior to the meter being installed and the second time yesterday. The landlord is threatening to evict since "rent has not been paid" but I' believe that I have the right to request a bill for the water usage. Am I correct? I don't mind paying but I want to see what I am actually billed. I am not comfortable paying a "estimated guessed" amount.
Can I request the landlord to provide me with the billing statement from the water billing company? What if they do not provide it? Should I still pay for 2 months since in reality all that is owed is 1 month.
Can they evict if it does not say anything in the contract that water bill has to be paid with rent in order to rent be received?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2018, 03:18 PM

3,101 posts, read 2,003,983 times
If you're facing eviction, you need to consult a lawyer. Most consultations should be free for 15-30 min or a nominal fee. But, ask first! Bring your lease & document everything you've listed above, with dates & time. You have a lot of details & they're very hard to read if you don't use a bit of spacing, rather than lumping it all into 1 huge paragraph.

Think about your well being first, meaning, it might be best to pay what they say you owe, so you can remain in your home & not have to immediately absorb moving costs & fees for moving into a new apt. This is stressful enough. You can still consult a lawyer to handle the issue for you. Also, if you do get evicted, another apt might not accept you. This is not a time to be stubborn, but to preserve your shelter, belongings & credit.

This is also not a time to consult strangers on a relocation board, but to ask professionals. Landlord-Tenant laws differ state to state, as well. We cannot answer the q's you ask about your own lease... read it.

You can call for free referrals from the Indianapolis Bar Assoc Referral Service.

Email: iba@indybar.org
Phone: (317) 269-2000
135 North Pennsylvania Street, Suite 1500 Indianapolis, Indiana 46204

If you are in college, you should have access to free legal advise. I've also had it as a benefit with a previous job... 1-hr/yr.

I'm also new to the state myself, but when I lived in another state, you could call the Secy of State's Office for a list of referrals to find free or paid legal info. Perhaps someone local could expand on that, but in the meantime, consider paying to avoid legal eviction woes, then work it out.

Best of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
View detailed profiles of: