Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 06:07 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,860,573 times

Advertisements

This one is personal for me because I was working near where this happened, and I park in this lot.

She was attacked in broad daylight, while stopping to pick up drycleaning.

WTHR's Emily Longnecker writes about downtown attack - 13 WTHR Indianapolis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 04:52 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,483,893 times
He spent 20 years in prison. I am not sure we can warehouse all the criminals for life. This guy had to have a "want to go back to prison" idea because it was in a public place during daylight with loads of "eyes" all around. There are far more people around at night that have had drinks to go after for money.

Old 07-30-2016, 09:16 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,607,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
Certain Crimes should be life or death penalty.
Rape is very close to a just throw them in prison and let them rot crime depending on the circumstances.
If we had worked to rehabilitate him and not let him just "rot", this crime may never had occurred. This is in no way a defense of his actions, just an enlightened look on our justice system and its obvious failures.

Old 07-31-2016, 03:42 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,483,893 times
We don't know enough to make large generalizations about the population. Maybe this one man, after spending 20 years in prison, just wanted to go back. Imagine losing 20 years of changes and trying to fit back in. Everything is a maybe but rape/assault in an open parking lot during daylight hours surrounded by people is just going to get you caught.

Old 07-31-2016, 12:36 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,874,318 times
Default She was fortunate

He could have killed her.

Perhaps he wanted to go back to jail but she did not know this when he attacked her and she is fortunate there were others there to help her.

We all want to fight back and be a hero but it could have ended very badly if he had a gun.

My grandmother once told me the story of an old lady at the grocery store who had a guy demand she give him her car keys so he could steal her car. She said no and he shot and killed her and still took the car. Property is not worth dying over.

She was very lucky and now gets to write a fluff piece about being the survivor of a crime.

Old 07-31-2016, 05:18 PM

28 posts, read 41,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
He could have killed her.

Perhaps he wanted to go back to jail but she did not know this when he attacked her and she is fortunate there were others there to help her.

We all want to fight back and be a hero but it could have ended very badly if he had a gun.

My grandmother once told me the story of an old lady at the grocery store who had a guy demand she give him her car keys so he could steal her car. She said no and he shot and killed her and still took the car. Property is not worth dying over.

She was very lucky and now gets to write a fluff piece about being the survivor of a crime.

While I understand your angle and opinion on this matter, she did say that she wasn't encouraging that type of response, and that was her instinct. I bet that it wasn't easy for Emily Longnecker to write about how that attack went. I'm also sure that she left out some things or added a few to make it sound like a better story.

But, she's a news reporter for Channel 13 and she gets to tell the story however she wants to, and if I hadn't of read her point of view I would want to know her story of what happened, as everyone else would too. She's a public figure, yet she was humble enough to let everyone know how it went even though she wasn't all the way proud of how she responded.

I'm glad that she wrote that article and I think that there are a lot of women that get attacked and are targets of random crimes, and her speaking about what had happened is good awareness and support for other women who have had similar life experiences.

Old 07-31-2016, 10:57 PM

3,406 posts, read 3,452,036 times
Indiana is a concealed carry state. He is lucky someone didn't shoot him.

Old 08-01-2016, 07:27 AM

Default Open carry

I just got back from a week in southern Indiana and noticed a lot of the locals carrying firearms, mostly in their waistbands. Most were country guys of small build, so maybe they were trying to make up for being small guys but it was ridiculous.

Everytime I got gas (3 times last week) I saw some redneck in fancy pickup carrying while they pumped gas next to me. I wasn't afraid of getting robbed but it felt odd.

A guy at the local gym said that they carry now Everytime they go shopping in Indianapolis after a cousin was assaulted by gang downtown a few years ago outside of Circle Centre.

I just call the cops instead of carrying a gun. The only time I shoot a gun is at the range.

And maybe society would be better off if someone had shot (and killed) this guy who attacked the reporter.

Old 08-01-2016, 09:15 AM

3,406 posts, read 3,452,036 times
Cops can't be everywhere. She is lucky he didn't kill her and in this case how would she have called the cops and if she had been able to they would have shown up to do a murder investigation because it takes a lot less time to kill than to get help by cops if they are not right there already. This is a perfect case why every women should have a gun, stun gun or mace.

Old 08-01-2016, 09:25 AM

Default Every woman?

Really?

That would be a disaster.

Imagine all the people getting shot by accident if everybody had a gun.

I support the 2nd amendment but come on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
View detailed profiles of: