Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2019, 10:43 AM

6 posts, read 4,889 times

Advertisements

I got a job and start the first week of December. I'm moving from a few states away and will not be able to travel there to apartment hunt. Is this doable? Can you get an apartment without viewing it first? Seems risky. I will be relocating during the last week of November so I need to get into a place before the end of the month. I would greatly appreciate any tips from locals. I'm a Single mid-30's professional. I've been looking at neighborhoods north of downtown (Old Northside, Herron Morton, Kennedy King, Fall Creek Place, etc). Are these good areas to move to? My work is in this general area so that's why I've been looking there. I've been reading reviews on apartments and read some horror stories about cars being broken into or set on fire?! I'm hoping these are just rogue reviews. Or is it worth looking at other neighborhoods with a slightly longer commute? Is traffic bad in Indy?

Thanks so much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2019, 03:55 PM

158 posts, read 175,334 times
What's your budget?

Old 11-03-2019, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masters1 View Post
What's your budget?
Around $900. The more I'm researching I'm thinking it's risky to sign a lease without seeing it in person. I'm thinking about getting an Airbnb for a month or two and that way it gives me time to look at places in person.

Old 12-07-2019, 01:32 PM

UPDATE: So I got an Airbnb for a while and I'm looking at Apartments in Castleton and as far north as Fishers. Reading negative reviews on Google is giving me a headache. It makes it seem like every apartment complex has issues.

My budget is $950 max, 1 bedroom, 1 bath. I want something close to 465 or 69. I would prefer it to be on the more updated side. I work in downtown Indy.

Thanks!

Old 12-18-2019, 12:23 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteTech View Post
UPDATE: So I got an Airbnb for a while and I'm looking at Apartments in Castleton and as far north as Fishers. Reading negative reviews on Google is giving me a headache. It makes it seem like every apartment complex has issues.

My budget is $950 max, 1 bedroom, 1 bath. I want something close to 465 or 69. I would prefer it to be on the more updated side. I work in downtown Indy.

Thanks!
I wouldn't worry too much about the Google reviews as they often come from people that are less than ideal tenants or whiners. What I would look for are trends in those reviews. For example, are there lots of reviews complaining about loud, partying neighbors or a lack of maintenance that kind of thing.

Old 12-18-2019, 02:50 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,944,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about the Google reviews as they often come from people that are less than ideal tenants or whiners. What I would look for are trends in those reviews. For example, are there lots of reviews complaining about loud, partying neighbors or a lack of maintenance that kind of thing.
Agreed. People usually leave reviews when they're mad about something. I wouldn't live in fishers if you work downtown though. Broadripple has some nice places. All the apartments by the fashion mall are nice. I live in lakeshore apartments, which had bad reviews. They're updated and in your price range. I could show you mine sometime or just ask for a tour. I did have someone get into my car, but my doors were unlocked and they didn't take anything.

Old 12-18-2019, 05:44 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,401,124 times
I live on the near east side. Car break-ins are common, although people will almost always admit they left something valuable in their car. But cars being set on fire? I haven't heard of that happening.

You're going to have a long commute if you move to Fishers.

Old 12-19-2019, 03:16 AM

Thanks for the feedback everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
View detailed profiles of: