Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2022, 06:39 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,004,179 times

Advertisements

https://www.wthr.com/article/news/lo...9-7de4735fbe37

I'm sure most are aware of this by now (given the news coverage) but I guess this tragedy occurred last night. It hits pretty close to home since we live just south of greenwood and frequent this mall often. Thankfully there was a good Samaritan involved who took down the shooter before they could do any more damage. Thoughts and prayers go out to the families involved in the shooting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2022, 08:50 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,670,076 times
I grew up a mile away from that mall, and have been there countless times throughout my life. I don't own a gun, not a gun fan, and the "good guy with a gun" scenario can easily go wrong (kill innocents, or the police mistake him for a bad guy). But I must say, I am so grateful for that quick-acting hero. We will never know how many lives he saved that day.

Old 07-18-2022, 09:18 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,758,918 times
It was reported this morning that the hero of the moment was in violation of Simon Properties rules which disallows all firearms on mall property. I'm sure we will be hearing a LOT about this incident from pro-gun advocates. Thank God that young man ignored the "rules"!

Old 07-18-2022, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapaleeretired View Post
It was reported this morning that the hero of the moment was in violation of Simon Properties rules which disallows all firearms on mall property. I'm sure we will be hearing a LOT about this incident from pro-gun advocates. Thank God that young man ignored the "rules"!
Agreed, thank goodness he ignored the rules this time around.

Old 07-18-2022, 11:20 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
If the shooter didn't have access to a rifle (most likely an AR 15 or similar) and multiple rounds of ammunition, you wouldn't need to depend on a Good Samaritan.

Old 07-18-2022, 12:13 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,474,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
If the shooter didn't have access to a rifle (most likely an AR 15 or similar) and multiple rounds of ammunition, you wouldn't need to depend on a Good Samaritan.
So if we ban all guns tomorrow, how many criminals will turn in their guns? And do you think only criminals left possessing guns will make the problem better or worse?

Old 07-18-2022, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
So if we ban all guns tomorrow, how many criminals will turn in their guns? And do you think only criminals left possessing guns will make the problem better or worse?
My exact thoughts. No matter how hard we make it for people to get weapons the "bad guys" will always get access to them sooner or later.

Old 07-18-2022, 01:44 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,670,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
This is the crux of the matter. As I said upthread, I don't own a gun. I don't love the huge number of guns we have in our country. But that genie is out of the bottle. It doesn't take a high IQ to figure out that any kind of gun ban, now or in the future, is not going to get guns out of the hands of the criminals who already own them. Maybe some tougher restrictions on age to purchase, or better background/mental health checks, could possibly reduce the number of disturbed young adults committing mass shootings in the future. Maybe? I don't claim to have the answers to this very sad problem.

Old 07-18-2022, 02:50 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
From what little I've been able to get online, it looks like this 20 year old kid, probably an INCEL, came from a broken family and was batted around by the foster care bureaucracy.

It's troubling that all 3 people he killed were hispanic, which reminds me of the El Paso massacre in a Wal-Mart by some dweeb from Dallas.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-18-2022, 03:47 PM

13 posts, read 11,513 times
This is so sad but thank God for the good Samaritan. I grew up in the area and have very fond memories of that place. Back then it was called the Greenwood Shopping Center and was not an enclosed mall. My belief is that we should allow legal gun owners to carry wherever they go and thus be able to respond quickly to dangerous situations such as this. Criminals love gun free zones
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
View detailed profiles of: