Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2009, 12:57 PM

17 posts, read 167,106 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I recently moved to Indy for a position from the NW (Seattle, WA). I have been moving around the country quite a bit over the last 5 yrs, and am planning to be here for a while now (at least 3 yrs). I dislike paying rent ($ wasted IMO), and am aggressively househunting. Currently I am residing in Carmel, but I appreciate the charm of the Irvington-area as it reminds me of past neighborhoods I have lived in. It doesn't appear sterile and cold, and has a down-to-earth feel.

HOWEVER, I have heard comments that the neighborhood is unsafe and property values are declining. I'm not sure it this banter holds much substance, but I have found a cozy home available for purchase in the area... and would REALLY appreciate honest non-biased opinion.

The area is a very quick commute to work, closer to my boyfriend, near the freeways, and downtown. I am looking for a home with character, in a historic community, that will retain resale value.

If Irvington isn't a recommended area, what are some in Indy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 06:15 PM

26 posts, read 103,499 times
I moved to Irvington this summer and love it.

I can't speak to property values, as I'm renting, but can talk about safety. My sense is that this is a wonderful neighborhood surrounded by some less-than-savory neighborhoods. I'm a woman, and won't walk by myself after dark here, but then, I'm an extremely cautious type and probably wouldn't do that anywhere in a city this size. With others after dark, and in the daytime by myself, I walk everywhere here and feel perfectly safe.

Washington Street is the most visible part of Irvington and, unfortunately, IMO it is also the least-attractive part, so do make sure you've seen the nice back streets on either side of Washington. (I assume you have if you've already found a house.)

This is a great neighborhood and I'm really glad I'm here. Check out this book for some of Irvington's interesting history:
Amazon.com: HISTORIC IRVINGTON (Images of America) (9780738552118): Julie Young: Books

Old 11-15-2009, 07:50 PM

423 posts, read 1,249,978 times
I would imagine that if Irvington's property values are decreasing, the declines are modest and more reflective of the real estate bust engulfing the whole country than any broader trends. Irvington in general is a remarkable neighborhood because it has overcome its rough spots and remained a desirable area despite feeding into the worst school district in the state (IPS). No doubt most families send their kids to private schools or join the huge wait lists for magnet/charter schools, but the fact that it can remain such a strong 'hood while being in close proximity to some really bad neighborhoods to the west is a testament to its ability to endure. I don't know much about the crime there, but the friends/family I've known living in the area have never had a problem. The bad parts East Side is going to receive buckets of housing grants in the upcoming years, which might precipitate a revival a la Fall Creek place, which only stands to benefit neighborhoods like Irvington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis