Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 08:26 PM

5 posts, read 25,415 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of any good, safe towns about 30 mins or less to Downtown Indy? Preferably on the Northern Side. I think Carmel is charming, but probably out of my price range. Looking to rent a house, for $1000 or less a month. I am a gay man and would be living with my partner. We don't run around with a rainbow flag attached to our backs, but hopefully the town would be somewhat accepting. I know Indiana is a conservative state. Any advice? TIA

PS: We are moving from the Chicagoland area but want the small town, country atmosphere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 05:33 AM

111 posts, read 243,154 times
On the north side, finding a "small town" 30 minutes from downtown isn't happening. Westfield is cheaper than Carmel, and Fishers is slightly cheaper than Carmel as well. Zionsville is just as expensive or even more expensive, although "historic" Zionsville has about a square mile of grid streets, there might be a house to rent there that is affordable. Lebanon might be a little more than 30 minutes from downtown but you could check that out, just north of Zionsville on 65. Cicero is ok, there's a lake there but that's about it, that's about 45 minutes or more from downtown since there are no interstates near by. Sheridan might be a really conservative place, that's probably 45 or more from downtown for the same reason as Cicero.

Other options on different sides of town?

West side: Brownsburg, Avon, Plainfield, Danville, Speedway
South side: Southport, (Beech Grove Although not ideal) Greenwood, Homecroft, Center Grove, Franklin
East side: Greenfield, Lawrence, Pendleton, New Palestine (most of these places on the east side are not ideal with Greenfield and New Palestine being an exception)

But all of those places are 30 minutes or less from downtown

Old 09-12-2015, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MackOnMack View Post
On the north side, finding a "small town" 30 minutes from downtown isn't happening. Westfield is cheaper than Carmel, and Fishers is slightly cheaper than Carmel as well. Zionsville is just as expensive or even more expensive, although "historic" Zionsville has about a square mile of grid streets, there might be a house to rent there that is affordable. Lebanon might be a little more than 30 minutes from downtown but you could check that out, just north of Zionsville on 65. Cicero is ok, there's a lake there but that's about it, that's about 45 minutes or more from downtown since there are no interstates near by. Sheridan might be a really conservative place, that's probably 45 or more from downtown for the same reason as Cicero.

Other options on different sides of town?

West side: Brownsburg, Avon, Plainfield, Danville, Speedway
South side: Southport, (Beech Grove Although not ideal) Greenwood, Homecroft, Center Grove, Franklin
East side: Greenfield, Lawrence, Pendleton, New Palestine (most of these places on the east side are not ideal with Greenfield and New Palestine being an exception)

But all of those places are 30 minutes or less from downtown
Thanks! It doesn't have to be exactly 30 mins, I just put that. I think in reality, I'm comfortable with 45 minutes. We both work from home, so going downtown would just be for fun anyways. I was looking into Lebanon a lot, that seems to be very affordable. I'll have to check out the other towns you mentioned. Thanks again!

Old 09-13-2015, 12:44 AM

4,502 posts, read 4,610,521 times
Pendleton in SW Madison County might be the little town you're looking for. It's a drive thru the country and maybe 30 to 45 mins to downtown Indianapolis. I think Pendleton would be a good place to buy some property now while its cheap because I would expect Pendleton to really increase in value in the next 10 to 20 years as the Indianapolization of SW Madison County continues. I can see Pendleton passing up Alexandria, Elwood, and Anderson to become the largest town in Madison County within 30 years. I'd guess Pendleton to become the next Noblesville.

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 09-13-2015 at 12:54 AM..

Old 09-13-2015, 07:33 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
I also have to give my recommendation to Pendleton. From what I've seen, it's very safe, the schools are excellent, and it's still close to town. It's also USDA loan eligible.

Old 09-16-2015, 07:43 PM

Thanks for the tip about Pendleton. I will look into that one as well! I read a few things about Anderson that seemed less than promising. Should I consider Anderson an option? I don't have any kids, so good schools doesn't matter to me. Anderson seemed to me to sound like a depressed community. But this is just my take on reading random stuff online.

Old 09-17-2015, 05:24 AM

Anderson has seen better days. My girlfriend lives there and I'm there right now. It's run down in spots, but there is some cheap real estate here. If you're having to commute to Indy, it would be an aggravation, but if you want something cheap, it is an option.

Old 09-19-2015, 09:08 AM

Thanks Serious Conversation! No commuting to Indy, I'll be working from home. The only time I'll be going to downtown is for fun.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suki123 View Post
Thanks Serious Conversation! No commuting to Indy, I'll be working from home. The only time I'll be going to downtown is for fun.
Why are you limiting yourself to these farther out towns on the north side? Outside of the suburbs, there really isn't going to be a difference in many of the smaller towns, and places on the south side are likely to be easier drives into downtown.

Old 09-21-2015, 12:36 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,076,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Pendleton in SW Madison County might be the little town you're looking for. It's a drive thru the country and maybe 30 to 45 mins to downtown Indianapolis. I think Pendleton would be a good place to buy some property now while its cheap because I would expect Pendleton to really increase in value in the next 10 to 20 years as the Indianapolization of SW Madison County continues. I can see Pendleton passing up Alexandria, Elwood, and Anderson to become the largest town in Madison County within 30 years. I'd guess Pendleton to become the next Noblesville.
Land in SW Madison County is roughly $30K/acre, but the more you buy, the cheaper the parcels seem to get, but you end up paying around $100K for five acres. If Pendleton wants to grow, they need to annex to the county line soon. Historically, city and towns have normally stayed inside the county lines, but there is always the possibility of Fishers jumping the county line and possibly Fortville as well. Pendleton should also try to get Ingalls unincorporated and possibly annex that area as well. There are some decent homes in that area and growth is coming once that area of Fishers runs out of land. There are some large parcels that I can see being developed in the coming years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis