Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2010, 03:45 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,109,820 times

Advertisements

I came across one website that can show traffic flow information, I am wondering if there are others, perhaps some with larger maps.

Bing Maps

To see the traffic flow map click on the traffic light icon at the bottom right side of the page.

This one appears to update itself every few minutes. I am not sure how they get this information, I doubt the local transportation authority is providing it. Perhaps it comes from GPS and cell phone companies monitoring cell phone or
GPS movement along these main corridors.

Does anyone know how this works or have any recommendations for better websites that monitor this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 07:15 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,108,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I came across one website that can show traffic flow information, I am wondering if there are others, perhaps some with larger maps.
Well, some cities have one or more dedicated sites that show traffic info:

Atlanta:

Georgia Navigator :: Traffic Maps :: Maps (http://www.georgia-navigator.com/maps/atlanta - broken link)

Twin Cities:

Mn/DOT Traveler Information

Chicago:

Chicago Traffic Report | Chicago Traffic and Road Conditions IL

Etc.

I won't install Silverlight here, so I couldn't see the Bing map you specified.

Old 09-12-2010, 03:07 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,109,820 times
Here is another smaller traffic map website via microsoft that shows the same thing but with a smaller map. Austin traffic maps, incidents, and flow data - MSN Autos You can select most cities from the menu on the right.

I recently learned when researching auto GPS units that many now come with traffic information like this so possible there are enough GPS units or cell phones on the road that are being tracked it allows real time monitoring of this kind of data.

I just noticed that website above gets its traffic data here. http://www.traffic.com/Austin-Traffi...c-Reports.html

Here is what they say about where they get the information:

Quote:
Where does NAVTEQ Traffic.com get traffic information?
We get our information from four types of sources: digital traffic sensors, gps/probe devices, commercial and government partners, and our traffic operations center staff members.

Our own network of sensors is already deployed in many major metropolitan areas, and is rapidly expanding to additional cities.

Where local or state government agencies have available data from their sensors or systems, we integrate as much of that data as possible as well.

Finally, we maintain traffic operations centers for each of the cities we serve, staffed with employees who consistently monitor traffic conditions.

The traffic operations staff use a variety of means (such as listening to police and fire scanners, monitoring traffic cameras, driving cars, and flying helicopters or fixed wing aircraft) to collect information and enter into our systems. All of the information we obtain from these varied sources is combined together to provide you with the most complete, accurate, and timely traffic information possible

Last edited by CptnRn; 09-12-2010 at 03:21 PM..

Old 09-12-2010, 06:39 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,827,129 times
Sigalert.com Los Angeles Traffic Map is the best for freeways if it is offered in your city
Traffic Reports | Traffic Alerts | Road Conditions | Traffic News & Delays | Traffic.com is good too
Google Maps traffic is the best (the only?) tool that provides street traffic as it uses crowdsourcing data from gps cell phones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet