Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2010, 04:41 AM

573 posts, read 2,058,284 times

Advertisements

I will make reservations for a hotel, but I heard people create fake websites to scam people. The name of the hotel is called La Quinta Inn, this is the site I found, La Quinta Inns & Suites Official Site - Hotels, Reservations, Hotel Deals How do I know this is the real site? Is there a way to check it? Please tell me if it is and what information I'm suppose to look for in order to know if it is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2010, 04:49 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnosis View Post
I will make reservations for a hotel, but I heard people create fake websites to scam people. The name of the hotel is called La Quinta Inn, this is the site I found, La Quinta Inns & Suites Official Site - Hotels, Reservations, Hotel Deals How do I know this is the real site? Is there a way to check it?
That's a legit website of the La Quinta chain.

Typically if the site has the McAfee Secure icon on it and when you click on it, McAfee reports it as a safe site, it's safe.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:13 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Typically if the site has the McAfee Secure icon on it and when you click on it, McAfee reports it as a safe site, it's safe.
The ;landing page on Mcafree's site can easily be faked unless you check the domain in the address bar, the link itself can be posted here or used on any site:

https://www.mcafeesecure.com/RatingV...ref=www.lq.com

That's actually pretty poor service because they aren't checking the referrer and the domain in question is not prominent enough.

If you want to check the origin of a domain you can try a whois lookup, note that this isn't 100% either but you could eliminate sites listing questionable information. In this case:
Quote:
http://www.whois.sc/

Registrant Contact:
LaQuintaWorldwide,L.L.C.
DNS Admin ()

Fax:
101ConventionCenterDr.
LasVegas, NV 89109
US
If it were registered to someone in say India then you can pretty much come to the conclusion its fake site. Whois information for most sites is going to be accurate because you can lose the domain if it isn't but again it can be faked so don't rely on it soley.

In this case since it's such a short domain chances of it being illegitimate is very unlikely because the domain name itself is very valuable.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:47 PM

102 posts, read 178,915 times
Hypnosis,

thecoalman gave you some good info... if you want to spend a little time investigating sites before you drop your personal details into them (which I recommend), you can learn a little from this site:

How to Verify a Legitimate Website | eHow.com

Old 11-01-2010, 01:10 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,210,493 times
I tried the Internic link, it said the domain registrar was owned by enom.com, which doesn't mean much to me.

As an assist OP, you can try a WhoIs lookup at domains.whois.com and enter the domain name you're questioning... from the URL line. IN this case it's lq.com.

WhoIs shows the name of the names of the responsible parties...

Domain name: lq.com

Registrant Contact:
LaQuintaWorldwide,L.L.C.

Administrative Contact:
LaQuintaWorldwide,L.L.C.

Technical Contact:
LaQuintaWorldwide,L.L.C.

A fake website, using the website address, would not produce this kind of information.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The ;landing page on Mcafree's site can easily be faked unless you check the domain in the address bar, the link itself can be posted here or used on any site:

https://www.mcafeesecure.com/RatingV...ref=www.lq.com

That's actually pretty poor service because they aren't checking the referrer and the domain in question is not prominent enough.
The landing page has the domain on it. The only way you can get faked is if you can't read.

It's easy to fake whois info as well.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
A fake website, using the website address, would not produce this kind of information.
It can because you can provide false whois info, the registrant controls what is displayed and it can be changed at any time. The inducement to keep it truthful is you can lose the domain if you have false information. Again I wouldn't make any judgments based soley on the whois information but instead use it as one test, as I mentioned it's very useful if the information is questionable such as if the registrant lives in India and it's a US company.

Last edited by thecoalman; 11-01-2010 at 07:51 PM..

Old 11-01-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
The landing page has the domain on it. The only way you can get faked is if you can't read.
Who says it has to be served from Mcafee's site, I could copy the HTML and have a page up in seconds with my domain on it being served from a subdomain using the Mcafee name with a somewhat relevant domain. Most people don't take the time to check the URL in the address bar and don't understand about subdomains and what they are looking at. My point is you can easily fool many people. Even a link from bad site to that page will fool some people because most aren't even going to know what domain they came from is and will focus on the "CERTIFIED MCAFEE SECURE SITE 01-NOV-2010" in big red letters.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:00 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,189,698 times
And what if the McAfee site is compromised? - scifiwestern has an excellent suggestion and thecoalman has a good point.....

Old 11-02-2010, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Who says it has to be served from Mcafee's site, I could copy the HTML and have a page up in seconds with my domain on it being served from a subdomain using the Mcafee name with a somewhat relevant domain. Most people don't take the time to check the URL in the address bar and don't understand about subdomains and what they are looking at. My point is you can easily fool many people. Even a link from bad site to that page will fool some people because most aren't even going to know what domain they came from is and will focus on the "CERTIFIED MCAFEE SECURE SITE 01-NOV-2010" in big red letters.
I suppose I expect a little more from internet users....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet