Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2012, 10:41 AM

8,082 posts, read 12,804,222 times

Advertisements

There is a local WISP (Wireless internet service provider) in our area that also offers T1 lines. I tried to get their Wisp service but they couldn't get a good signal at my house.

They offer a T1 line for 175 dollars a month. The reason I need it is my business involves a lot of remote work through WebEx and other remote services.

I can't use satellite service due to the latency. I currently have Verizon 3G and the reliability/connection speeds are not as advertised. "RANT ON" - Despite having a great signal strength and low ec/io I am regularly only seeing speeds of 150 to 200 kbps. They have oversold their network and the only time I see speeds they claim are the minimum (600kbps) is if I use it at 1:00 am. In addition it regularly "drops" the connection.... "Rant off"

What I want the T1 line for is 1)Webex meetings. 2)Vonnage phone connection. I am not interested in much more than that although I do watch training videos inline and it would be a "plus" to have them stream reliably.

I know there may be concerns about the T1 provider not being the phone company. Is this a big issue? They claim they "own their own lines"; should I clarify what the procedure is if the line goes down and make sure they will handle everything? I would hate to have them tell me it's the phone companies fault while the phone company says it is the ISP fault.... (been there before)

My Questions
1) Good or bad idea going with this wisp vs telecom company?
2) Can I use Vonnage over a t1?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 08:38 AM

16,554 posts, read 19,730,512 times
1) Can't say it's a bad idea. What is the company?
2) Yes.

To clarify though, T1 can mean anything, It usually is a multiple of 1.5M up & down.
So what speed are they offering for $175? 1.5 @ $175 is a good price.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:59 PM

8,082 posts, read 12,804,222 times
Unfortunately they responded to my inquiry and declined to offer me service. I don't know what the criteria is for them to run a line. Either they don't want to run it to a residential address or I am too far for them to consider.

I am in a very bad spot. The only provider is Verizon 3g and on a GOOD day I am seeing 300kbps download. (they claim a minimum of 600kbps) They have oversold the service around here and do not upgrade. I can get great speeds (1mbps) if I am on at 2am

Old 08-29-2012, 01:28 AM

389 posts, read 921,579 times
almost every major isp like att will be willing to bring t1 to your residence as lons as you are wiling to pay for installation, run, etc. if you have phone lines, you should be in the service area. Look also at megapath, see what they offer and compare.

if there is no other options, there is nothing much you can do except move, or lease a small office where they have a fast connection and drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet