Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 01:22 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Verizon is our one and only choice.... Pay-by-the-byte dialup (yet <17 miles from a 500k metro area). Occasionally we get 14.4k, but usually 9600. Really fun.
Thanks FCC (Left wing conspiracy against rural voters) No satellite dishes allowed (Federally protected scenic area) "Tree huggers" watch us daily with spotting scopes.
Ask the Queen of England to file a lawsuit...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 09:27 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,471,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Not unless I'm caught on your property, behaving in a way that meets the definition of trespassing in your state, or that you can present evidence that I had trespassed that meets the rules of evidence and the laws of trespassing in your state. And the burden is on you to produce that evidence, you are not going to get any help from the police in making your case, unless a prosecutable felony occurred in connection with the trespass. And in most states, it is not trespassing at all if you have not signposted your property clearly and/or protected it from casual entry with locked gates.

No matter how important you think you are, nobody is going to jail for taking a shortcut across your lawn.
Absolutely wrong.

Legal definition of trespassing:

Every unlawful entry onto another's property is trespass, even if no harm is done to the property. A person who has a right to come onto the land may become a trespasser by committing wrongful acts after entry. For example, a mail carrier has a privilege to walk up the sidewalk at a private home but is not entitled to go through the front door. A person who enters property with permission but stays after he has been told to leave also commits a trespass. Moreover, an intruder cannot defend himself in a trespass action by showing that the plaintiff did not have a completely valid legal right to the property. The reason for all of these rules is that the action of trespass exists to prevent breaches of the peace by protecting the quiet possession of real property.

In a trespass action, the plaintiff does not have to show that the defendant intended to trespass but only that she intended to do whatever caused the trespass. It is no excuse that the trespasser mistakenly believed that she was not doing wrong or that she did not understand the wrong. A child can be a trespasser, as can a person who thought that she was on her own land.

Injury to the property is not necessary for the defendant to be guilty of trespass, although the amount of damages awarded will generally reflect the extent of the harm done to the property. For example, a person could sue birdwatchers who intruded onto his land but would probably receive only nominal damages. A farmer who discovers several persons cutting down valuable hardwood trees for firewood could recover a more substantial amount in damages.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,153 times
Have you tried your local library?
You can use their computers for a limited time or bring your notebook and sit for awhiles.
It's free.
I would seriously reconsider paying your bills online through wi-fi.
That's a hacker's delight.

Old 07-12-2013, 08:40 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
I'd love the day that cellular (4G LTE or whatever) can replace home internet. I don't have to torrent/pirate, I could keep my bandwidth down to say 40GB per month, but that much is still too expensive, and I'm not going to pay for home internet and phone internet that's just wasting money in my case. One or the other.

Old 07-14-2013, 07:55 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I assume nothing. But I do know the info on how is in the manual the router came with.
Read it. Whoooosh!

Do you understand the concept of "default setting"?
Nothing is forced when that connection is open and available. Whooosh!
---
ETA: You just attempted to move the goalposts by introducing illegal activities on the connection.
No one is condoning illegal activities whether on a free open wifi or any other connection.
Try to stay on the topic of the connection itself. Can you do that?
A purse that is sitting on a table unattended is the same and going in to it is theft. you probably also think that a wallet lying on a sidewalk with money is money your free to keep it. Using a service with permission is called theft of service in legal terms.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:09 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,436,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastieTX View Post

1. Comcast cable is a huge ripoff

I'm talking surfing the web, making online purchases on occasion with credit cards, etc.

Before I commit $1200 on a Macbook Air for this purpose
Anyone else see the irony in the original post?

Doesn't want to spend a lot on internet service. Fair enough.
Has simple and occasionally internet needs that can seemingly be met at Starbucks, the library, maybe at work. Also, fair enough.

Wants to buy a $1200 mac laptop. Doesn't make sense. All that money for a computer. It's like getting a porsche when all you need to do is buy milk and bread once a week.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:40 AM

15,432 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
A purse that is sitting on a table unattended is the same and going in to it is theft. you probably also think that a wallet lying on a sidewalk with money is money your free to keep it. Using a service with permission is called theft of service in legal terms.
Didn't we already go through this earlier in the thread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet