Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 10:01 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times

Advertisements

I recently posted a PRIVATE video on YouTube of some old 8mm footage shot at an airport. According to YouTube definitions of Private, Unlisted, and Public, it should not have been seen by anyone but me. The footage had no sound track.

I just got a notice from YouTube to respond to a rights dispute on it. The SCUM-SUCKER "AdRev" claims the music used was theirs. How the H>>> can there be music infringement if there is no frikkin soundtrack???

DRM my A--

Please verify the following information:
Claims to dispute

"The Music Collective-Pivots Around-Opus 1", sound recording administered by:
AdRev for a 3rd Party

Reason for dispute
This video is my original content, and I own all of the rights to it.
Explanation
There is NO SOUNDTRACK to this old 8mm film that was shot by my father. How do I file counter-claim for harassment and attempts at coercion? This is simply outrageous!!!
I have a good faith belief that the claim(s) described above have been made in error, and that I have the right(s) necessary to use the contents of my video for the reasons I have stated. I have not knowingly made any false statements, nor am I intentionally abusing this dispute process in order to interfere with the rights of others. I understand that filing fraudulent disputes may result in termination of my YouTube account.

This is OBVIOUSLY a fraudulent claim by AdRev in search of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 10:04 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Counter Notification - YouTube

Quote:
Counter notifications must be submitted by the video’s original uploader or an agent authorized to act on their behalf, such as an attorney. To submit a counter notification, please use our webform. It is accessible via the Copyright Notices section of your account:
Don't take it so personally. The processes used to identify infringement are automated these days. Mistakes happen. You point out the mistake and a human will take a look and hopefully see the error that is so clear to you.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:12 PM

Mistake? How does one MISTAKE silence for a song?

I DO take it personally, as I am a vociferous proponent of changing the copyright and intellectual property laws to prevent misuses like this. If the automated process is that flaky, it has no business being used.

https://productforums.google.com/for...be/zzDYvBH0BqI

Last edited by harry chickpea; 03-25-2013 at 10:24 PM..

Old 03-25-2013, 10:38 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
That sucks. Give them a call and see what's up.

Youtube does facilitate this kind of participation from third parties. I can see it being frustrating. It seems like reasonable grounds to stop uploading to Youtube and stop viewing videos on Youtube if it bothers you enough.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:46 PM

Looking around the net, there are a LOT of similar complaints against this and BFM making patently false claims. Maybe I should make a claim against them, claiming that Opus One is a ripoff of my original work "Silence." The same "Opus One" seems to get confused with Scott Joplin's Maple Leaf Rag and keyboard clicks. As someone who is SCRUPULOUS on avoiding such issues, I'm furious. If someone wants to start a class-action suit - count me in.

I will start going elsewhere, as much as I've enjoyed YouTube in the past. However, this is all only going to get worse.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:47 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
As I understand it content providers can submit their audio files to Youtube which will then "fingerprint" them. If that is private video that would be the only way it was flagged. This company adrev must have submitted a blank audio file? They are hoping that you don't file a counter claim so they can place ads on it. Scam:

Quote:
https://productforums.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/youtube/42xLenp36Co

OPTION 1

If you do not respond to the claim, your video will stay live on
Youtube, unchanged, and simply have some ads run on the bottom 1/5 of
the video. Viewers can click an "X" and close the ads anytime.

These ads help our artists/partners make money from their hard
work/fantastic music they provide.
This is the type of abuse that needs to be stopped.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:58 PM

How the scam works

Old 03-25-2013, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
However, this is all only going to get worse.
What do you mean?

Old 03-25-2013, 11:11 PM

My video in question - note my comments if you go to the YouTube page:

Old 03-25-2013, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
My video in question - note my comments if you go to the YouTube page:

I thought you said it was silent. Did you add that soundtrack in there just now for humor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet