Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 05:49 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,765,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by certsevtxert View Post
It's true, that the recipient can be traced unless they did all the same precautions. If I send to a gmail account, then it will end on on Google Servers.

However, that is fine, because I'm more concerned with being secure and private on my end. If my end is entirely secure, it is doubtful it could be traced back to me.

I want freedom, and if every communication I ever send can be read by the government, then I am not free, I am a slave! That's why I want this.
Okkkkkk. But as soon as your transport hands an envelope to another transport, your IP address is going to be stamped on inside. The web mail services typically don't do this but of course they have logs.

Some ideas would be to use POP3 instead of IMAP if you rely on a third party so you can delete messages when picked up. Careful though services like outlook.com just move 'em unless you override the service.

If you do that or your own mail service then you've got the issue of the header. You could look at a VPN but those netblocks tend to get knocked out pretty quickly and end up on black lists.

Hushmail has been around for a long time but they will comply and cooperate but pretty sure no one will be reading your mailbox directly. I imagine they'd have to set up a distribution list to capture incoming mail. Other services I see advertising on Google say they don't track IPs. They might be worth a look but again use POP3 verus IMAP so the e-mail is removed from the server and verify through webmail.

There are services on the dark net but that's clunky and I'm not going to talk specifics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 05:56 PM

658 posts, read 1,554,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Okkkkkk. But as soon as your transport hands an envelope to another transport, your IP address is going to be stamped on inside. The web mail services typically don't do this but of course they have logs.

Some ideas would be to use POP3 instead of IMAP if you rely on a third party so you can delete messages when picked up. Careful though services like outlook.com just move 'em unless you override the service.

If you do that or your own mail service then you've got the issue of the header. You could look at a VPN but those netblocks tend to get knocked out pretty quickly and end up on black lists.

Hushmail has been around for a long time but they will comply and cooperate but pretty sure no one will be reading your mailbox directly. I imagine they'd have to set up a distribution list to capture incoming mail. Other services I see advertising on Google say they don't track IPs. They might be worth a look but again use POP3 verus IMAP so the e-mail is removed from the server and verify through webmail.

There are services on the dark net but that's clunky and I'm not going to talk specifics.
Not if you use alternative IP - and that is ONLY if they ALSO access the recipient's email. If they didn't know you sent it in the first place, then they wouldn't know the recipient which means they would never trace it back to you because they never knew the recipient and never searched the recipient's emails.

If you were doing something illegal, however, then it would be a different story. If the recipient was caught, then they could also trace back to you.

That's not the situation here (nothing illegal going on), so anything in the recipient's email is irrelevant to the situation.

Old 06-08-2013, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Not if you use alternative IP - and that is ONLY if they ALSO access the recipient's email. If they didn't know you sent it in the first place, then they wouldn't know the recipient which means they would never trace it back to you because they never knew the recipient and never searched the recipient's emails.

If you were doing something illegal, however, then it would be a different story. If the recipient was caught, then they could also trace back to you.

That's not the situation here (nothing illegal going on), so anything in the recipient's email is irrelevant to the situation.
What do you mean alternate IP? Getting back to your first question I think that's the way you should go. You can bounce your outbound SMTP off a GoDaddy account which allows 250 relays a day or just send it through your ISP. The only way to control who sees inbound is to do what you asked. Run it yourself.

I'm not up on current software as I've been enterprise for a long time.

Old 06-09-2013, 05:02 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,290,638 times
Quote:
It's true, that the recipient can be traced unless they did all the same precautions. If I send to a gmail account, then it will end on on Google Servers.

However, that is fine, because I'm more concerned with being secure and private on my end. If my end is entirely secure, it is doubtful it could be traced back to me.

I want freedom, and if every communication I ever send can be read by the government, then I am not free, I am a slave! That's why I want this.

I don't need a lock. No one is getting in my room, and I am not important for the government to raid my house just to read an email. I'm not concerned with the security of my home PC.

I agree about the encryption. It makes no sense to encrypt unless you want the recipient also to encrypt. Anyway encryption is not necessary.

The goal here is simply to satisfy my paranoia and keep personal emails from being on any email server like gmail or aol, etc.

By the way, I do own my own domains, and I pay for a web server.

So far it seems there are only two ways:
1) a service which would prevent even the government from accessing their data
2) your own domain and server and somehow configure it for email.
Since email is inherently insecure - there's really no way around this. Then minute that message leaves your server and hits the "public" network known as the Internet - its free game. Encryption is pretty much your only solution - but I don't think that's what your looking for.

As for #1 - you'd basically would need to stop using a public service like the Internet....

This is analogous to communicating by using a bulletin board at the local library, then asking what you can do to keep your messages private....

Old 06-09-2013, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Since email is inherently insecure - there's really no way around this. Then minute that message leaves your server and hits the "public" network known as the Internet - its free game. Encryption is pretty much your only solution - but I don't think that's what your looking for.

As for #1 - you'd basically would need to stop using a public service like the Internet....

This is analogous to communicating by using a bulletin board at the local library, then asking what you can do to keep your messages private....
It's a bit of a head scratcher because the original post talked about on the mailbox side. In other words where his incoming mail rests not being accessible by a "prism" and that's repeated in the message you replied to. But then there's the hopes of preventing government access and then he talks about sending not receiving. I'm most concerned with the aspect if secured on his end then it likely won't be traced back.

I know of one service on another network that has a gateway to the internet that is extremely anonymous. He says he's not doing thing illegal so that would work. The problem with a relay though is you're placing the gateway at risk if something naughty is going on.

The best hope might be to go offshore to a country that is hard for our government to invade their servers and hope for the best.

I'm looking forward to learning what the "alternate IP address" is.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:28 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
Quote:
Not Gmail
Not Yahoo (especially!!!)
Not AOL
Not Outlook (you can't CREATE an email account with only outlook)
Not Microsoft mail

I want something that I could create an email account on my home computer, and I can send and receive emails but it never goes through a third party like gmail or aol or anything
I use Pobox.com for receiving mail. There's an annual fee but includes three email addresses and SMTP. Also, hosts a domain name and email. Pobox also has filters to block spam. I've stopped looking but when I do it looks like I'm getting 100 - 200 spam emails a day. They fall off the server at some point so I don't have to deal with them.

Also found this today, https://help.hushmail.com/home.

H/T http://victorygirlsblog.com/?p=11981
H/T Instapundit » Blog Archive » NEWS YOU CAN USE: How To Hide From The NSA.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:32 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,773,006 times
Email is essentially not private just like anything else online. When you send an email out, it is potentially copied in more than one place besides the recipient receiving it.

For simple use and nothing too complicated, I think POBox.com or some such paid service (ESP - email service provider) or webhosting for your domain and mail are a good idea. You configure your mail client to download the email to your PC.

Old 06-09-2013, 01:03 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Quote:
You're forgetting that email is not a secure medium. It travels openly on the net. If you ran a simple packet sniffer on your email server, you'd see how insecure it is! If an email message in or sent by your account has traversed the Internet, it's been subject to government sifting. Where it lands at either end makes zero difference.

Old 06-09-2013, 02:43 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
You're forgetting that email is not a secure medium. It travels openly on the net. If you ran a simple packet sniffer on your email server, you'd see how insecure it is! If an email message in or sent by your account has traversed the Internet, it's been subject to government sifting. Where it lands at either end makes zero difference.
This.

If you're that paranoid start using snail mail.

Old 06-09-2013, 03:03 PM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Enigma machine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Ding! You have an Enigma!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet