Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 01:13 PM

974 posts, read 2,186,982 times

Advertisements

I know enough about this topic to be dangerous so I thought I'd ask if anyone has cut their cable TV and gone to webstreaming TV content via their internet service provider? I have a pretty good ISP with fast broadband.

I've found that much of mainstream TV is just a lot of junk I don't watch. So if I could cut the cable bill and do a setup using my ASUS dual band router with an external HD, could I set up some sort of configuration so I could watch TV shows off the internet without a hodgepodge of components?

Any help or pointing in the right direction would be much appreciated. I need simple, simple DIY info...no blackbox voodoo please, this has to be pretty straightforward and legit otherwise I won't spend the time trying to figure it all out.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 06:17 PM

1,447 posts, read 2,746,770 times
I agree, too much junk on TV and I don't want to pay for it. I cut my cable TV (unsubscribed) but kept internet via the same provider. Many of the TV channels that we had before are still available on the same line. I don't pay anything for TV service. We can also get content via Hulu and YouTube -- streamed directly to our HDTV via home WiFi.

When all cable is cut then I have one and a half channels available, and antennas can't pick up signals very well from where I live.

BTW, when I called in to cancel our TV package, they offered to add channels and halve the bill. Tempting, but no. I had to return the set-top box to get the ~$275 charge taken off my bill for the device, which they added when I cancelled.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:54 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,220,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenThereDunThat View Post
Spoiler
I know enough about this topic to be dangerous so I thought I'd ask if anyone has cut their cable TV and gone to webstreaming TV content via their internet service provider? I have a pretty good ISP with fast broadband.

I've found that much of mainstream TV is just a lot of junk I don't watch. So if I could cut the cable bill and do a setup using my ASUS dual band router with an external HD, could I set up some sort of configuration so I could watch TV shows off the internet without a hodgepodge of components?

Any help or pointing in the right direction would be much appreciated. I need simple, simple DIY info...no blackbox voodoo please, this has to be pretty straightforward and legit otherwise I won't spend the time trying to figure it all out.

Thanks in advance!
Hook your laptop to your TV by HDMI. Simple. Elegant. Efficient. Now what?

- or -

http://www.city-data.com/forum/30700285-post14.html

Old 08-03-2013, 06:32 PM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
When the FCC shutdown high-power TV broadcast in favor of lo-power digital broadcast our township lost signal reception. A few of us went to satellite dishes [our township has no cable provider].

I shifted to watching things online.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:42 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,460,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenThereDunThat View Post

Thanks in advance!
I use Roku, with Netflix and Hulu Plus. Does the trick for me. If you have a quick network and a fast computer, you could use Plex with Roku and play whatever you have on your computer on your TV. Chromecast is good for slower networks that cannot support media serving.

There isn't anything to figure out with Roku. Hook it up, it will find your network via wi-fi. Then all you have to do is put the code to your router in. They start you off with a few channels and you can add more as you go. Some are $8 a month, some $10 a month, some $3 a month others free.

Old 08-17-2013, 11:16 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,438,375 times
How about no TV? I watch maybe five MINUTES of TV a month. If the Lakers are in the Finals, then I'll watch a little more or if any SoCal Team is playing for a championship.

Man, not watching TV is so liberating and relaxing.

Old 08-17-2013, 11:57 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,667,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
I use Roku, with Netflix and Hulu Plus. Does the trick for me. If you have a quick network and a fast computer, you could use Plex with Roku and play whatever you have on your computer on your TV. Chromecast is good for slower networks that cannot support media serving.

There isn't anything to figure out with Roku. Hook it up, it will find your network via wi-fi. Then all you have to do is put the code to your router in. They start you off with a few channels and you can add more as you go. Some are $8 a month, some $10 a month, some $3 a month others free.
I agree: we use a combination of an HTPC / Plex and Roku for our system. Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Amazon Prime Video for streaming, OTA (antenna) for local news and a couple of odd shows.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:23 AM

19,446 posts, read 27,860,991 times
One thing you may not realize if you do this: You will not be able to view current programming on HBO or Showtime, etc. Not using Netflix, Hulu +, HBO Plus - nothing. The only way to get current stuff on premium channels is by having a subscription through a cable or satellite company.

Which is the only thing that keeps us wired to satellite or cable.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:44 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,667,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
One thing you may not realize if you do this: You will not be able to view current programming on HBO or Showtime, etc. Not using Netflix, Hulu +, HBO Plus - nothing. The only way to get current stuff on premium channels is by having a subscription through a cable or satellite company.

Which is the only thing that keeps us wired to satellite or cable.
Exactly.

If you want programs from a premium channel, when they air, then you'll have to pay the premium price for that.

If you can live without them, or wait for them to become available in other places, then you can save yourself a lot of money.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:42 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,460,743 times
There is no one size fits all approach to cutting the cord. Hulu Plus is the most comprehensive solution, because you get shows the next week, and a strange, eclectic, sampling of movies, plus old criterion collection movies you won't find on Netflix.

Most of what you'll find when you cut the cord is curated. It isn't mainstream. A lot of hard core TV enthusiasts aren't with that. Plus, in the beginning, cable and satellite are easier because they're less work. This really isn't for everyone; I'm not sure if it ever will be.

It reminds me of the difference between VHS and DVD. VHS had everything, DVD was curated. Now Blu-ray is curated and DVD is mainstream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet