Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 02:45 PM

1,420 posts, read 3,184,087 times

Advertisements

Just tried to move my Cisco cable modem (DPC3010, DOCSIS 3.0) from one room to another. That is, disconnected from one room's coax cable and connected to another room's coax cable. Couldn't get a link light. Called the cable company and they told me the cable modem will only work when connected to the coax cable it was originally connected to. They said in order to move it a tech would have to come out.

Found this odd, but perhaps it is true. Still, is there something unique about each individual cable in my house such that my cable modem is matched to only one cable? Most of the cables in the house are just split away from the main line. House was built around 1997.

Does this sound right? Any way around this such that I can config it myself to work in the desired room?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 06:02 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,193,209 times
I'm not a cable guy but that's the way it's been for me over the years.

Don't know if they use splitters or filters but the cable modem is tied to the cable it was first installed to.

Old 09-28-2013, 06:03 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,804,859 times
It used to different, but that was so long ago that I can barely remember it.

Old 09-28-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I'm not a cable guy but that's the way it's been for me over the years.

Don't know if they use splitters or filters but the cable modem is tied to the cable it was first installed to.
I researched a little on the internet and most of the replies to questions similar to mine implied the cable modem can be hooked up to any live cable in the house - switching was no big deal.

I guess I don't understand how the individual cables in the house can be made unique in such a way that the modem will only work on a subset of them.

Still, if that is true, is there an "easy" way to get around that? Something in the outdoor cable box on the outside of my house? I don't want to request a cable tech to come out - I doubt it would be free. Plus, I'd like to know how to change whenever I want rather than calling the cable tech any time I want to try something different.

Old 09-28-2013, 07:44 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,662,982 times
It's been a while since I had a cable modem, and cable, but I believe it is a frequency related thing. Somewhere there's a splitter or filter that changes the frequency of the signal on that one cable. You might be able to trace the cable for the modem back to it's source, and see if there's a filter in line, or if the splitter has different frequencies on each output. If so, then you could move the device, or swap the splitter around.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:07 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,132,345 times
The new drop probably doesn't have a strong enough signal to lock. This is typically caused by too many splitters or low quality splitters.

With Comcast, at least, they don't filter out the signals within your home.

You can try calling them and just tell them that your internet doesn't work and see if they'll send a guy out to measure the frequency.

Or you can try a booster such as this: Amazon.com: Motorola Signal Booster BDA-S1 1-Port Cable Modem TV HDTV Amplifier: Electronics

Old 09-29-2013, 08:57 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,686,482 times
Or the cable dead ends somewhere and you're connecting to air.

Old 09-29-2013, 10:09 AM

334 posts, read 716,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Or the cable dead ends somewhere and you're connecting to air.

This^
OP, are you sure the cable in the new location is live? I've moved stuff all over and never had a problem.

Old 09-29-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickySantoro View Post
This^
OP, are you sure the cable in the new location is live? I've moved stuff all over and never had a problem.

Yes it is live because it was providing analog to the TV.

Old 09-29-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
It's been a while since I had a cable modem, and cable, but I believe it is a frequency related thing. Somewhere there's a splitter or filter that changes the frequency of the signal on that one cable. You might be able to trace the cable for the modem back to it's source, and see if there's a filter in line, or if the splitter has different frequencies on each output. If so, then you could move the device, or swap the splitter around.
This may be a good check. I did do a little reading on the internet and someone had written something about cylindrical filters installed in the context of a similarly asked question.

Now I just need to get to that box and spray out all the black widows and check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet