Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2013, 09:32 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,700,587 times

Advertisements

FBI shuts down online drug market Silk Road FBI busts black market bazaar Silkroad, arrests its alleged mastermind - Oct. 2, 2013

Silk Road Shut Down google search

My thought is, why hasn't this happened sooner? Why was such a widely known website allowed to roam free as such? What are your thoughts of side reports of this benefiting bitcoin?

My thoughts on silkroad is I didn't really care that it existed. There are many more damaging websites out there that are still running for some reason. As far as benefiting bitcoin? I know a few people that use it as a foreign exchange to avoid the expensive exchange banks. But only time will tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 05:40 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
My thought is, why hasn't this happened sooner? Why was such a widely known website allowed to roam free as such?
Because it wasn't a website, it was a destination on a "section" (for lack of a better word that wouldn't overwhelm with technobabble) of the Internet that uses a protocol designed to be anonymous and untraceable. You can't shut down what you can't find. It took major effort to figure out who was behind Silk Road.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:11 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Besides, when you have a honeyhole, you want to wait to catch the bears.

Old 10-10-2013, 05:10 PM

8,324 posts, read 13,453,824 times
Is it me or was this entire operation and arrest seemingly based on allegations and assumptions?
I personally couldn't care less. If the site had a million registered users, that goes to show you government should just legalize the them thing. I never done drugs and never will but I still do not understand, or should say, cannot rationalize why selling/buying drugs is illegal!

Think about it, if it has nothing to do with you, why would you even be concerned? I mean if people are inclined to be addicted to some substance and/or sell it, they will do it sooner or later or do something equally damaging to themselves and to those who are also in the same environment.

Laws controlling gun sales is one thing, drugs is another. Instead of regular missiles and bombs, if US dropped burning giant weed balls in the middle east, all them wars would probably have been over within days.

Old 10-10-2013, 05:57 PM

1,447 posts, read 2,745,847 times
It was more than drugs that they were (allegedly) selling.

Fascinating how they tracked the guy who (allegedly) ran it. He used his real name in several places, used incriminating wifi hot spots near his residence, and posted technical questions to stackoverflow.com (a programming Q/A site) that would raise suspicion.

Interesting how Bitcoin took a hit when that site was seized. People were making anonymous purchases with that form of currency.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:27 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futbol View Post
Interesting how Bitcoin took a hit when that site was seized. People were making anonymous purchases with that form of currency.
It was one of the few places that accepted Bitcoin for purchases. You can't spend those at Amazon.

Old 10-11-2013, 09:37 AM

1,447 posts, read 2,745,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
It was one of the few places that accepted Bitcoin for purchases. You can't spend those at Amazon.
Yep, not widely used.

It had been speculated that people sought out Bitcoins for anonymous transactions but I was skeptical... until now.

Old 10-13-2013, 05:44 AM

1,906 posts, read 2,039,438 times
Quote:
Fascinating how they tracked the guy who (allegedly) ran it. He used his real name in several places, used incriminating wifi hot spots near his residence, and posted technical questions to stackoverflow.com (a programming Q/A site) that would raise suspicion.
Thats how most if not all hackers wind up getting caught. Single biggest mistake is to comingle your anonymous persona with your real life one. To stay hidden and untrackable is actually not that difficult, it just requires the right setup, and most importantly the discipline to never use that to access anything dealing with your real life identity nor using it anywhere around your actual home/work. Cameras are making it more difficult but its still not to hard, if you pay attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
I am no bitcoin advocate, but thats just wrong. You can us Bitcoin to pay for nearly anything, its also the fastest and cheapest way to transfer money p2p around the world.

Here is a partial list of places to spend bitcoins

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Trade

Mostly the places you can spend bitcoins are gonna be companies that provide online services but you can purchase loaded cards that spend anywhere.

Quote:
It had been speculated that people sought out Bitcoins for anonymous transactions but I was skeptical... until now.
I dont know that this was spectulation really, its an obvious function of bitcoin. Lots of services available solely dealing with transferring and converting bitcoins anonymously. Most if not all the exchanges "wash" transactions. Its a function that was built in from the very beginning.

All the above said, bitcoin is not something to be keeping large amounts of money in. Nor is it something you should use to conduct transactions anonymously. Turns out its not actually that anonymous. To stop people from copying bitcoins and spending them in multiple places your unique identifier is attached to that coin, an exchange then appends the unique identifier of the person you are paying to. This is like a long custody chain that gets verified everytime you spend a bitcoin. That way if you try to spend the bitcoin again to somebody else the exchange blocks it because you aren't the owner of that bitcoin. Where bitcoin loses its anonymity is the ability of a government agency to peruse its vast collection of metadata from facebook, google, etc, and tie a real person to that anonymous unique identifier. This has been proven by researchers with access to far less data than a government agency would have. I suspect all those folks that have used silk road are sweating bullets right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet