Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 07:22 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,920 times

Advertisements

I've had AT&T/Yahoo DSL service for several years, and although my desktop is only 2 1/2 years old, my modem is a lot older than that (5+ years, and it's a Slipstream brand. A rep from AT&T U-Verse recommended that I switch, since I'd get a new and more stable modem, as well as a new router.

Since my other Internet option here in LA would be Time Warner Cable (I have DirecTV right now), which one would you folks recommend for $20-$25/month or thereabouts, and why?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 07:57 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Be sure to check how that modem and router is charge. Most give you choice of buying or leasing equipment. ATT DSL when I had it you bought the modem/router.20-25 wouldn't buy any faster service really that I am aware of.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:26 AM

The router and modem which AT&T is offering me are both free.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:55 AM

269 posts, read 295,970 times
Speed probably wouldn't make a difference because residential connections won't ever stream in enough data at once to saturate the device. Time Warner will have faster speeds, but you'll probably end up paying $50/month for service and they'll try to push the bundles on you too. At least that's how it works for Comcast. AT&T isn't a bunch of saints either, but DSL is generally cheaper than cable.

If you're happy with your current speeds, I would probably just stick with DSL.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:32 PM

191 posts, read 262,591 times
Had such a bad experience with AT&T...will never, ever, ever give them more of my money.

Signed up, never received anything...and the bills kept rolling in. Took a solid month for them to acknowledge... And another few weeks to actually stop the bills that threatened our credit.

Never again.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Old 12-05-2013, 05:06 PM

Would it make any sense for me to go to Best Buy and just buy a new modem for $50-$60 (more or less), since it's twice as old as my desktop, which will be three years old in March?

Old 12-09-2013, 09:46 AM

Just be sure that its a modem that is on the providers list so it works with your service. time wan rner psot the list o their site and I would think ATT would too but haven't looked. if they provide modem its not free ;nothing is really.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:15 AM

1 posts, read 3,560 times
Default time warner vs att uverse

Switched from time warner tv/internet/phone in August 2013. Went to Directv for tv and ATT Uverse for internet/phone. Also switched from ATT Uverse for internet at work from their DSL.

Bad move!!!! Love Directv, but Uverse is the worst. At home, the outages last from 1 hour to 16 hours. They have been occurring more frequently in the last month. Had service people out 5 out of the last 10 days. They say we are too far, but they sold us the package guaranteeing 6 mbs and I had to buy the modem. We are lucky to get 3 mbs when it works. Really concerned that the phone goes out too. Will be switching to satellite internet or back to time warner (which I hate) in August when discounts are up.
At work, it is worse. The DSL was not really good and expensive. ATT offered a deal to switch to Uverse, because they are phasing out the DSL service. Too far again!!!! The speed test on the modem comes in at less than 500 kbs. Yes, that is KBS. Can not download any streaming video, even the ads have to buffer. Time out on bank and fed tax sites. Negotiating with time warner for internet added to the cable service at work.
All the years that I had time warner cable, internet, and phone, we may have had a short outage every 6 months or so. I have had more service calls from ATT in the last two months than I had with time warner in 10 years. Will not switch to their cable tv, because they are already raising fees to cover that obscene deal with the Dodgers.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
The router and modem which AT&T is offering me are both free.
When I had AT&T their modem/routers where mostly cheaply made and I went thru several of them. Not near the speed of my time warner either I use now. Also really it was self service where as time warner seen tech at least here when called and sets up when getting service.

Old 06-07-2014, 04:56 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,829,872 times
Default U-verse sucks!

I have been waiting for a repairman since 11am. My appointment window was noon-4pm. It is 3:45 and the repairman just called. He is in another city about an hour away so I had to cancel, due to other plans. My modem, router, and DVR were all replaced 5 weeks ago. Second time in a year, 3rd time in two years. I lost everything I had recorded each time. After each event, my wireless printer would not work. The ATT people could not figure out how to get it back online, so they referred me to ConnecTech, At&T's affiliate. With them I had to agree to a contract for a year at $15.00 per month. They solved the problem, and each time since, but I have had to spend hours on the phone with them.
My cordless house phone has had a background hum that kicked in about 1-2 minutes after I answered the phone, each time, since I got u-verse. ATT said I needed new phones, so I bought them. It made no difference. I learned by accident that turning off the TV when it happened made the hum disappear. The Tech at ATT said that this is not possible. I turned off the TV and asked him if he could hear the difference. He said yes, but that it must be "just a coincidence". With the newest modem, I have had hum-free phones for 5 weeks.
I have U-verse phone, internet and TV service with no premium channels. My bill just jumped to $209 per month, almost $50 more. They tell me I can bring it back down by signing a new contract. As if!!!
My house is going up for sale next week. I will NEVER be a customer of ATT again.
Beware!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet