Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 08:22 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times

Advertisements

I've thought about posting there to put some free items out that I'd like to see recycled versus just trashed. But my first inclination is not really to have strangers come to my street.

I guess I'm just not sure myself whether my concern about a crazy person possibly knowing where I live -- is outweighed by my desire not to just have the items taken to a dump.

No one I know has had a bad experience. All my personal friends have had good experiences -- but we do know about the 'bad' CL news stories out there. (Well one friend-of-a-friend who was trying to sell something and had some CL contact who wanted to give him a phony money order for more than the item price, then have him send the overage to some third party. Which he didn't do of course. I don't even know what that was about.) But other than that no bad experiences.

So do you do CL? Do you have concerns about it?
Also how would you calculate the risk, and decide whether it's worth say....having a free pick up item put out, versus just taking it to a dump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2017, 08:26 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times
I use it to post for walking partners and to search for a specific type of boat that I want. Unfortunately, trying to use it for dating is a waste because most of the women there seem to be nothing more than professionals looking for their nightly/hourly pick up.

As for the auto ads, and buying anything else, you just have to be smart and careful.

Old 04-12-2017, 08:43 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
I got some pretty good furniture from Craigslist. A beautiful TV entertainment center. A powered lazyboy chair, and free housewares.
I had my carpet installed at 1/3 the cost by a gent who: bought the carpet and padding of my choice, laid it and did a dern good job! All I had to do was remove the furniture and pull up the old carpet.

Won't touch the automotive. Shysters breed there.

Old 04-12-2017, 09:05 PM

188 posts, read 278,891 times
I've used it for computer gigs, part-time jobs, selling + buying items - never had a problem.

If you're concerned about others knowing your home/location, place the items you are giving away in a food store parking lot or other location that has no connection to you. Then post the items and location on CL.

Old 04-12-2017, 09:12 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgriff2 View Post
I've used it for computer gigs, part-time jobs, selling + buying items - never had a problem.

If you're concerned about others knowing your home/location, place the items you are giving away in a food store parking lot or other location that has no connection to you. Then post the items and location on CL.
Yikes! That's a red flag that the items are hot/stolen. I'd be leery of anyone pulling into a lot with a van load of items...

Old 04-13-2017, 05:30 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Yikes! That's a red flag that the items are hot/stolen. I'd be leery of anyone pulling into a lot with a van load of items...
I have met many very nice people off-site, and have sold and bought a lot on Craigslist.

I usually sell from my office, rather than from home, and no one comes around when my wife is home alone. And, I respect someone who doesn't prefer to meet me at their home, for an easily carried item.

So, I have met people in parking lots, many times to buy or sell. Sometimes it is just for convenience, splitting the difference with someone who lives/works 20 miles away.

Yeah, you have to trust your gut instincts, and never be cornered.
But, the only time my spidey sense tripped was a guy who came to my office one night. I felt like he was sizing me and the place up, as much as interested in the goods I had to sell.

I went 15 miles one night and sold 75 slate shingles to an attorney. Under a street light, by the dumpster behind a closed Bojangles restaurant.
Heckuva guy, who also drove 15-20 miles. We chatted twice as long as we did business. Fun.

That's Craigslist.....

Old 04-13-2017, 06:05 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
Well, here's a question for you.....
Do you think anyone "online community" is better than another?
Just for example, are CD or Freecycle any better/ safer than CL? Or vice versa.
Not being that 'into" social media" I'd say the smaller groups are better. Less chance of an odd ball. If only because smaller groups have fewer people. But who knows.

On CD I've only done the forums, and only a few at that. But there is a classified section.
Again this would be an offer of free items to just come pick up. (Four vintage sewing machines: two cabinet style and 2 table/console seamstress like sewing machines...so I know if I found the right person, they like to have them to reburbish, re-use or re-purpose. I hate to just see them busted up at the garbage dump. I've seen some great re-use photos on Pintrest.)

As I said part of my dilemma -- of my own making -- is I'm not even sure myself how much time and trouble I'm willing to go through to see if someone wants the items. Is not having them trashed worth my angst about it?

Friends have said try calling the companies to see if they want the old machines for their archive. But I don't have time for that. OR I suppose I should say...I don't want to go though that much trouble....

Old 04-13-2017, 06:14 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,407,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I guess I'm just not sure myself whether my concern about a crazy person possibly knowing where I live -- is outweighed by my desire not to just have the items taken to a dump.
I've never used CL. Though I realize the odds of a bad CL encounter are small, why risk it? I am not selling anything important and I don't care if it get top dollar, I'd just rather get something for it and keep perfectly good items out of a landfill. And someone else gets a bargain, win-win. I've used eBay, about 70 transactions, because all transactions are remote. Other stuff just goes at the end of my driveway with a free sign on it (and disappears quickly), or in the trash.

Last edited by Midpack; 04-13-2017 at 06:40 AM..

Old 04-13-2017, 08:04 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,469,795 times
I've done CL in the past. I've tried selling cars through CL. It's hit or miss, and I truly believe it depends upon the area in which you live. My wife and I haven't really had much luck with CL, especially when it comes to selling stuff. I'm not much of a salesperson anyway, and I find it a hassle. My wife has sold more stuff through Facebook Yard Sale pages than anything else.

I would say if you do have Facebook, just post the items for your Facebook friends. Maybe somebody on your FB would want the items.

Old 04-13-2017, 08:07 AM

50,291 posts, read 47,043,365 times
I use it but won't sell anything from the house as I've got guns and other expensive things so I don't need anyone casing the place.

Meet at a parking lot with lots of witnesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet