Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2014, 10:17 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,546,864 times

Advertisements

I am wondering if someone who understands this better than me can explain if cloud storage would work for this:

I am working with someone out of state and I need for them to be able to review and edit Word documents. If I save these into a cloud storage account, such as Dropbox, is there a way for them to be able to access these documents, work on them, and then save them there?

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 10:40 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Yes. You can share a dropbox folder with another dropbox user. The folder shows up in both dropbox accounts and files can be opened and edited by both users.

Old 06-09-2014, 11:27 PM

Thanks NJ, So the other person also has to have a DropBox account?

If I have certain documents in my Dropbox that I don't want that person to see, is there a way to make certain documents visible and others hidden (to another user)?

Old 06-09-2014, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
Thanks NJ, So the other person also has to have a DropBox account?
With Dropbox, yes. Even with Google Docs, they need to have a Google account.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post

If I have certain documents in my Dropbox that I don't want that person to see, is there a way to make certain documents visible and others hidden (to another user)?
You create folders in dropbox and can share one without sharing the others. Only the files in that shared folder will be visible to the people you have shared it with. The other folders will remain private.

Old 06-09-2014, 11:43 PM

oh, groovy! this sounds perfect!

Thanks so much!!

Do you think DropBox is a good one for this purpose, are there others you would recommend?

Old 06-09-2014, 11:47 PM

Personally, I like Microsoft OneDrive: https://onedrive.live.com/

But Dropbox and Box.com are good as well.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:51 PM

Ok, I am having a problem. I just decided to try DropBox, but I don't think I like it.

Is there a cloud program where you can just check the folders you want it to copy the documents from, and then it will keep those synced - so if I edit a document on my computer, it will automatically update on the cloud?

DropBox wanted me to choose my files and put them into my DropBox folder (which it created for me)... I did this... but then when I clicked on the original files, it said they weren't there anymore.... maybe that means they are still on the local hard drive but in the Drop Box folder AND then synced to cloud storage on Drop Box?

Hopefully someone can help me with this. I am confoosed.

edit: Ok, I think what DropBox does is force you to put all of your files/folders that you want to be in DB into their folder, which appears as one of your folders on your desktop. I am not sure if I like this or not....

Last edited by KittenSparkles; 06-13-2014 at 07:00 PM..

Old 06-14-2014, 04:34 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,383,938 times
You have P2P, FTP, Google Docs ( which is free ), Free webspace ( which is simple ). Some OS have file sharing features built into them. So you could manually link a folder to the internet. You can run your own little website/server from your computer as well, but that is difficult.

I would just use the webspace and get it over with.

I am using dropbox as well. It works but it requires me to use a specific browser or OS. So I am dead in the water unless I find a computer with Windows 8.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet